Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Kentuckian rifle

Boolit Buddy

Kentuckian rifle

Hey everyone. I was going through my safe and remembered/discovered that I had a Kentucky rifle in the back corner. It is an Investarms Kentuckian 45 caliber from 1979. I decided to do a little research but I really can't find any information about them on the net. Anyone know how long Investarms made these? Would they be the same as the Euroarms Kentuckian? I found some of those online but they were 44 caliber and didn't have Investarms on the barrel that I could see. It's a pretty nice little rifle so I was just curious. I suppose I could always try contacting Investarms if need be.

Boolit Master
    don't know anything about the Investarms Kentuckian, but just wondering if you ran across my M1A1 I left over there.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Banned

i think investarms has changed hands at least a few times since the late 70's. dunno much about what investarms produced back then, but these dayze they make those good trad ml's offered by lyman. might be able to tell more if you post images. it would be interesting to see if the breech was patent tunnelled or flat faced, but if it looks in decent condition, is functional, the trigger(s) work well, and the frizzen makes hot sparks with a good new flint, fire that puppy up. but i'd first clean out the bore and touch hole good, and use a .22 brush to see if the breech is a patent, clean up the lock and do a test firing with 10 grains down the tube and a few in the pan. have at it, sir!

Boolit Buddy
    This is a percussion rifle, not a flintlock. I'll get a couple of pics shortly.

Last edited by BPJONES; 12-24-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Banned

love when trad ml builders use the "kentucky" name on their offerings. a real 18th century "kentucky rifle" had nothing to do with kentucky (the state), nor cap locks. but what do those crazy europeans know about our history?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    love when trad ml builders use the "kentucky" name on their offerings. a real 18th century "kentucky rifle" had nothing to do with kentucky (the state), nor cap locks. but what do those crazy europeans know about our history?

This long rifle is a Jukar of spain Kit Rifle retailed by CVA some years ago.I assembled the Kit this year she shoots good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BPJONES View Post
    This is a percussion rifle, not a flintlock. I'll get a couple of pics shortly.

check out, and clean out - the barrel, the breech, and the nipple. see if there's a "clean out" port on the sideplate side and if so unscrew and check/clean it out. dunno if the bolster can come off, some (like the current traditions) won't without busting 'em, but if it can check and clean. at the least, pull off the nipple and clean it and the bolster hole out. do the test with 10 grains of 3f or 2f and a #11 or #10 nipple and hopefully enjoy!

Boolit Master

Here is one I built from scratch including Rifling during the 1980s.Loosly termed a Kentucky Rifle but I prefere the name Long Rifle.

Boolit Master

Another View,I love shooting the Things.

Boolit Mold
    Hi all, I recently bought a percussion .44 Euroarms "Kentuckian" long rifle (date stamp xx7 = 1971). It groups very well with 45 grains of 3fg blackpowder, .435 lead ball and .012" 11/8 dia patch. The original nipple was 'blown' so after a lot of research and trial and error, I can confirm the nipple thread size is metric M6x1. I use the Treso 50-11-05 which is M6x1 thread, 16mm overall, 6mm cone and 5mm thread length and 5mm for the key shoulders.The Treso label states " for CVA & Traditions Rifles" and I believe Euroarms supplied both of these companies.

Euroarms were the only manufacturer to use the name "Kentuckian"; other manufacturers of these long rifles called them their "Kentucky" rifle. Also, they were originally produced in .44 cal but this was changed to .45 cal to get around some hunting caliber restrictions I believe. I'm not convinced that they changed the bore machining - just the barrel calibre stamping! (Another variation on the 'Is it a 44 or 45?' theme and a bit like Ruger Old Armys' 44/45 markings). Anyway, its a fine rifle and shoots well. I hope this nipple size information will save someone a lot of hassle! Cheers from the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post

This long rifle is a Jukar of spain Kit Rifle retailed by CVA some years ago.I assembled the Kit this year she shoots good.
    I had the same kit as a teen. It was a good one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrya View Post
    Hi all, I recently bought a percussion .44 Euroarms "Kentuckian" long rifle (date stamp xx7 = 1971). It groups very well with 45 grains of 3fg blackpowder, .435 lead ball and .012" 11/8 dia patch. The original nipple was 'blown' so after a lot of research and trial and error, I can confirm the nipple thread size is metric M6x1. I use the Treso 50-11-05 which is M6x1 thread, 16mm overall, 6mm cone and 5mm thread length and 5mm for the key shoulders.The Treso label states " for CVA & Traditions Rifles" and I believe Euroarms supplied both of these companies.

Euroarms were the only manufacturer to use the name "Kentuckian"; other manufacturers of these long rifles called them their "Kentucky" rifle. Also, they were originally produced in .44 cal but this was changed to .45 cal to get around some hunting caliber restrictions I believe. I'm not convinced that they changed the bore machining - just the barrel calibre stamping! (Another variation on the 'Is it a 44 or 45?' theme and a bit like Ruger Old Armys' 44/45 markings). Anyway, its a fine rifle and shoots well. I hope this nipple size information will save someone a lot of hassle! Cheers from the UK!
    The Euroarms statement of being the only ones who called them Kentuckian is not correct.The one I had that I began this thread with had "The Kentuckian" on the barrel and it was made by Invest Arms. Now Invest Arms may have made them for Euroarms.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post

Another View,I love shooting the Things.
    That sir, is a fine looking rifle. My paternal ancestor was in East Tennessee in the early 1800's (Bunch's Regiment, East Tennessee Militia), and I am sure he would have craved such a weapon.