WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Powder Coating Troubleshooting Tips

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Powder Coating Troubleshooting Tips

Since I research a subject to death before jumping in, I found a page that may be of interest to others.

http://cpincpaints.com/powdercoating.htm
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I'm a dumb redneck...I need pictures

Boolit Master

I like #2 on Penetration: poor grount--I always us new grount for each time I spray
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Good information
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Good points. That check-list is made for commercial ESPC powder coating operations doing big items. Some of those will not apply to our teeny little lead things. And some will totally confuse and mislead those that are new and just reading.....not actually doing. Too many people read waaaaaay too much, over-study a topic, ask questions that will be fully answered by just doing it, and get off on the wrong track with too much printed data.

PC is 90% doing and 10% reading. Just go out and do it!

As far as pictures.....that is what your imagination is for. Use it. Pictures for that site would not be of trays of boolits or racks in a teeny little toaster oven.

When I started ESPC, I just did it and played around until I got it right. It is not THAT difficult. If you can handle a can of spray paint or a paint spray gun and get excellent coverage, you are 1/2 way there. A lot of the rules of a good paint spray job apply to ESPC coating.

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master
    I did my first PC today, after a lot of reading and research. It's amazing the variety of techniques out there.

I did 200 Lee 230 TC .45 boolits, not one reject! HF Red, 2 Ziploc quart freezer bags in my vibratory tumbler for about 10 minutes, used latex gloves to move them from the bags to the tray, 20 minutes at 350 degrees and it worked just fine.

I had expected more of a mess using this very fine granulated powder, but cleanup was easy with nothing but dry paper towels to wipe the latex gloves.

I used too much powder, but was able to recover the excess for next time by simply dumping it out of the Ziploc bags.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

"If I had to use that troubleshooting chart to figure out what I was fixing to do…and had never done PC before…I'd dust off my lubrasizer and never look back!

JusssssssDooooooIT ! It ain't rocketscience…..it's REDNECKHI-TEK…simple as heck."

Boolit Master

Next, you're really going to like the way they load and shoot. Gun Barrel clean up it a breeze as well, I use boresnake's and one pass cleans it up slick and then a little lube and she's good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    I did my first PC today, after a lot of reading and research. It's amazing the variety of techniques out there.

I did 200 Lee 230 TC .45 boolits, not one reject! HF Red, 2 Ziploc quart freezer bags in my vibratory tumbler for about 10 minutes, used latex gloves to move them from the bags to the tray, 20 minutes at 350 degrees and it worked just fine.

I had expected more of a mess using this very fine granulated powder, but cleanup was easy with nothing but dry paper towels to wipe the latex gloves.

I used too much powder, but was able to recover the excess for next time by simply dumping it out of the Ziploc bags.

I have found to not size to soon after the bake. If I size the same day it seems to be very hard to push through the sizer. If I wait 24 or more hours they flow like butter . So I checked some boolits that had been out of the bake 2 or 3 hours and found them .005 or more larger than they were after 24 hours. Trial and error ? I think I will start giving 3 or 4 days or more before sizing. If shrinkage is going to happen.

I've learned much more from trial and error then what I've gotten from research. But the research is the the best starting point for me

In Remembrance

Research = reading here what methods others have found successful. Then just DO it!! Gets my goat that some are too impatient to read through all the posts of the gurus to gain some understandings and ask a lot of questions they'd have found the answers to without pestering. And then there are those who, again not having read the 'how to's', suggest trying some unworkable method. C'mon guys.....just DO it!
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!