Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unique

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I've also been burning Unique for some time now. I use it in all my straight wall revolver cartridges for mid level loads and for rifle rounds on the light side for cast boolits.

I've never seen what you are describing with it. Can't even think of a reason it would be doing that to you. Perhaps you can post a photo of the phenomenon for us.
    Agree 100%.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Cornmeal ?????
    Unique was the first, and for many years the only powder, I reloaded with. Every cast boolit load from 32 acp to 45 acp and 32 short to 45 Colt. Had a few unburned flakes when the load wasn't hot enough for complete combustion (Unique isn't a light load target powder)...but I swear I have never seen cornmeal like residue. Maybe I'm not fastidious enough, but when I came across two pounds last month , I jumped on the chance to buy them, and went home very glad to have them.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by coalgeo View Post
    I am a bit like bangerjim in that whenever I run out of Unique I swear I will never buy again - oops, there are two containers close to me now. Dirty - perhaps, a bit tough to meter - yes, but it does shoot cast boolits reasonably well in all of my straight wall cases, and without a lot a fiddling with loads. Are there better - you bet, and I use them. It just is sometimes handy to have around to "throw together" a bunch of plinking loads without much fuss. I have not yet seen ETR7 in any of the stores in my area - not even sure if they retail this powder.

FYI....you probably will not see ETR7 in your local stores. I comes from Expansion Industries in VA. A very small company that sells it on-line at very reasonable prices. Per them and lots of my own "messing around, TightGroup data is very close. I use it in everything rom 9mm the 45LC.

Check out their site. They show "distributors" but I think those are only for the comm-ammo they sell.

I like the stuff and it sounds like a bunch of others on here do too.

Banger

Boolit Master
    I havent found uniwue to be overly dirty in my loads. At one time i had some unburned flakes in my revolver but after snugging up on the crimp a bit those flakes stopped showing up, at least for me. As said before, pressure helps a lot.

Boolit Master
    Stuff im using is probly old as the hills too, allot of the powder I use is kind of a co-op of myself, brother and brotherinlaw we bought out a widows basement several years back that accounts for 70% of the powder we have so far every thing still goes bang but like I said unknown vintage on allot of it. Seems like last time I checked there was 3-4 lbs of unique to be used up. might try hot rodding it a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by twc1964 View Post
    I havent found uniwue to be overly dirty in my loads. At one time i had some unburned flakes in my revolver but after snugging up on the crimp a bit those flakes stopped showing up, at least for me. As said before, pressure helps a lot.
    +1
    And keep the charge weights in the upper end of the reloading data.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've found Unique tends to favor heavier loads and heavy bullets and it works fine for those . It will push just about anything from any cartridge though which is a handy trait to have when powder selection is limited .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Petrol & Powder-Post #39
    I couldn't agree with you more. There has been and will always be a canister of Unique in my stock.

Boolit Master
    Switch to an appropriate charge of Green Dot and things will clean up. Really dandy in straight wall cases.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I agree with Hickok . . . up until a few years ago. all I shot (and still shoot) for 50+ years was BP. Part of that is that fouling is a "given" and you expect it. When I started shooting the new fangled cartridges . . . ANY smokeless powder seemed "clean".

I've used Unique in all of my pistol cartridges as well as my 357 Handi and my old 8mm GEW98 - all with cast. While there are several other powders I prefer for certain cartridges . . I have a couple of pounds of Unique on my shelf all the time. Dirty? I guess that all depends on an individual's perspective? I just don't worry about any "dirtiness" with any powder . . . it's simple enough to clean a gun when I get back from shooting. Are there better powders out there? Could be but if ti works, shoots the lead slug down range in a good manner . . . I can put up with a little soot or dirt.

Boolit Master
    I am just happy to have been able to find some. My handguns are filthy when I'm done. Soft lube and shotgun powder , but the bore is clean and no leading. If I have a real good time it looks like I'm a coal miner. He he he

I have never seen corn meal debris left after firing Unique but it is my go to powder in my 44 Mag for medium + cast loads, lovely in my 30-30 w/cast and I use it for case forming my 30's and reserve 2400 for most cast rifle loads.
    I have been loading with both since I started loading with my grandfather when I was 10 and see no need to change. I have used 231 in 45s and Clays in my 38 Spl loads due to metering consistency at low powder changes.

Boolit Master
    Despite all its flaws, real or imagined, if I could have but one powder with which to load pistol (and some rifle) rounds, it would be Unique. Although it'll never likely be described as "clean burning", I think its reputation for burning dirty is under-deserved. Pushing moderate loads harder will clean up the burn somewhat. If that isn't enough, or it is not an option, applying a heavier crimp helps a great deal. Sometimes, reducing the powder charge to accommodate a heavier projectile and maxing out the crimp usually fixes things.

Boolit Grand Master

Haven't had any Unique for years but was pretty tickled to score some recently. I got by for quite awhile with Universal, a bit cleaner with many off the same properties of Unique. You mentioned above that it was stored in a basement and you may or may not know for how long and under what conditions. Fluctuating temps and moisture degrade powder, age has little effect. As mentioned above Unique is cleaner at high pressures but I don't mind cleaning a gun now and then.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I've read this and am wondering if I am on the same planet as you guys... I use Unique in everything from .380 ACP to .500 S&W and I never see any of the above.

8.0 grains of Unique is my standard accuracy load in .41 Magnum...just add any weight bullet and shoot. 950 fps +- out of a 4" barrel. Have never seen anything I would call unburned powder.

The one thing I have noticed about shooters who complain about this is that they use very little crimp. I crimp the **** out of everything and never have a problem. As to case necks splitting...I am using a lot of .41 cases that have been with me since the 1970s. Had one case split last week...second one last year.

Bob

Boolit Mold
    I'll be curious whenever I get around to trying it. I been looking for over a year, couldn't find unique, or snag any when it came in stock online.

I finally settled on Accurate #5 as a replacement and ended up loving it. But it too: Burns mighty dirty unless you bump up the pressure in it. Hate switching out now that I have a good set of loads work for it.

Found a can of unique a week ago. Paid $19.77 for the pound figured I better try it for that price.

What are your loads in 38? I've found that I need a 5g load of Unique under a 158g bullet for a good clean burn. That's right up there at the peak of SAAMI max pressure of 17k psi. I'm actually closer to 18k but these are shot in a 357 magnum gun and the gun just giggles at those loads. In 45 ACP, I also use 5g and get a clean burn. In 9 and 40 It burns very cleanly at 5-5.3g, but the pressures are 31k and 21k respectively.

Another alternative you can try is 20/28. It is Alliant's alternative to Unique in smaller hulls because it is denser than Unique. The Hodgdon "Clays" line of powders (Clays, International and Universal) are good alternatives if you disturbed by particles in your barrel. They leave almost no residue even when loaded at underpressure levels although they will still be smokey when underloaded. The problem is that all powders burn smokey when the pressure is too low. Some leave less residue than others. Unless you have a gas operated gun, it usually isn't a problem.

I concur with all that said that they started out with Unique and lived with the results. I have a friend who calls all Hercules, (now Alliant), powders Explosive Dirt. I started out loading .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .38/.357 and .45-70 with Unique because it was available and I did not know any better. This went on for years until I couldn't find any and had to switch to something else. Regardless of all the powders I now use, I still have a pound or two in my magazine.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Buddy
    go right to their website...buy there

Boolit Mold

just wondering what bullet lube you are using?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast