RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I don't get it. Another 9mm fail.

Boolit Master
    should get the mold tomorrow, cast some hopefully tomorrow, load some this weekend, and shoot next monday and report.

Boolit Master
    Got the mold, looks nice, cant wait to try it and report. Will let you know next monday evening.

Will coat 20 with 45-45-10 and lube 20 with 2500+, test both, starting with 2500+, and then check for leading, and then the TL, and check for leading, and I'll report.
    if a 125 grains .358 heat treated quenched bullet with 2500+ doesnt fix it for me in the glock, I'll get a rifled barrel.

I got a report from a fellow shooter at my range that tested a lone wolf barrel, with the 105 SWC water dropped, sized 357, 45-45-10, not even 38 expanded cases, and he said that he got very minimal leading after 20 rounds. Looks like the rifled barrel makes it more predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    Got the mold, looks nice, cant wait to try it and report. Will let you know next monday evening.

Will coat 20 with 45-45-10 and lube 20 with 2500+, test both, starting with 2500+, and then check for leading, and then the TL, and check for leading, and I'll report.
    if a 125 grains .358 heat treated quenched bullet with 2500+ doesnt fix it for me in the glock, I'll get a rifled barrel.

I got a report from a fellow shooter at my range that tested a lone wolf barrel, with the 105 SWC water dropped, sized 357, 45-45-10, not even 38 expanded cases, and he said that he got very minimal leading after 20 rounds. Looks like the rifled barrel makes it more predictable.
    I sure wish you weren't having so much trouble. I shoot water dropped wheel weight cast lead in a poly barreled Glock 19 without issue. Because I planned to shoot a lot of lead in my Glock and because of the unsupported case issue, I bought the KKM barrel which supports the case better and have continued to not have any issues. Lee 124TC, Lee125RN tumble lubed with 45/45/10 and loaded as cast.

Boolit Master
    Never had any luck with the lighter cast bullets. Found some 160 gr RN cast at a gun show. Very accurate in the G17 and G26. Very light leading but I clean it with Chore Boy every 100 rounds.

Boolit Master
    They drop 358-361 so its all good to size to 358. They weight 130gn.
    loaded 20 of each at 1.040 with 4.4 of hp38. Half with grease and half with tl.
    the bullet seems to just hit the lands at that length. It plunks ok but cannot really rotate freely. Will shoot monday night and see and report on function and leading.

i can confirm that i dislike pan lubing.

Boolit Master
    Ok report.
    Feed and function 100%.
    Even though some had reported the load as mild or moderate, the load felt quite hot. 4.4 of hp38 at 1.040.
    I don't know the fps, but they recoiled like full blast FMJ. I am probably going to drop to 4.3 for my next tries.

20 rounds with 2500+ did lead a bit.
    + 30 rounds with 45-45-10 did lead moderately.

So far, grease has given me better results than tumble lube all the time. But I won't blame TL until I can get a load to not lead at all with grease.

I'm buying a rifled barrel tomorrow and will test the same load and report.
    I came to the conclusion that the OEM glock barrel does not like my wheelweight bullets no matter what. At that point I have tried everything.
    If they still lead with the new barrel, then my alloy has an issue.

Leading isnt major after 50 rounds, but there is leading in the barrel. Bullets shot well though. Those FP bullets make nice holes in paper also.

Boolit Master
    "Even though some had reported the load as mild or moderate, the load felt quite hot. 4.4 of hp38 at 1.040.
    I don't know the fps, but they recoiled like full blast FMJ. I am probably going to drop to 4.3 for my next tries."

That verifies the data in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition. 4.4 grains of 231 is listed as the max load for Ly 356637 which is a 125 grain bullet. They used the bullet sized to 356". Their starting load is 2.9 grains. Yes, your pressure is right up there and I imagine case ejection was "lively". Maybe if you let the bullets mature a bit longer, things will resolve?

Boolit Master
    Yup, according to lyman I was probably just at max or a bit above max. That's what they felt like.
    I think that I'll lower charge to 4.2 and try an OAL of1.030 or so (seat to end of crimp groove) for less interference with the lands.
    After heat treating and water quench, it looks like very little is gained after 48 hours, and they have had 48 hours to harden. http://www.lasc.us/heattreat.htm

I think that I might order a storm lake barrel and try again.

Boolit Master
    If you seat the bullet deeper, that will increase pressure. Do you think that is a good idea? How about trying to "work up" to an accurate load as is always recommended? Generally cast bullets do not do well with excessive bullet jump when it comes to accuracy.

I thought you said in an earlier post that the barrel was already ordered?

Boolit Master
    at 1.040 the bullet side near the case hits something, it will plunk to the bottom, but can not spin. Does it matter?
    I tried to order a barrel this morning but called and they are out of stock. (canada)
    Trying to find a storm lake somewhere, looks like they might have some in alberta.
    It's hard to find gun barrels in stock here. no one has kkm, lone wolf is out of stock, and storm lake is almost out of stock everywhere. a shop had IGB but they are out of stock also.

My only concern with the storm lake is that they are now reaming the throat much larger now, and I know that a member here had an issue with leading because it was gas cutting at the too large throat. Your opinion?

Boolit Master
    at 1.040 the bullet side near the case hits something, it will plunk to the bottom, but can not spin. Does it matter?

+I looked back through some of the threads and was unable to see where "spinning" was desired. To me, that would just indicate the bullet was seated off the lands and unsupported when fired. I prefer no jump for cast bullets.

I tried to order a barrel this morning but called and they are out of stock. (canada)
    Trying to find a storm lake somewhere, looks like they might have some in alberta.
    It's hard to find gun barrels in stock here. no one has kkm, lone wolf is out of stock, and storm lake is almost out of stock everywhere. a shop had IGB but they are out of stock also.

My only concern with the storm lake is that they are now reaming the throat much larger now, and I know that a member here had an issue with leading because it was gas cutting at the too large throat. Your opinion?
    +I think back about post #82 you indicated you were ordering a barrel the next morning, so that is why I thought it was already a done deal. So you start over again, and this time you will not be making the same mistakes and going through the "Monkey Motion" as you have in the past. You will slug the barrel to determine what is needed to fill the grooves and how much extra is needed to get a good seal. You will use the dowel rod method to know exactly what the finished cartridge OAL needs to be so the nose of the bullet is engaging the lands (or not). You know you will be far better off to use a good wax or grease bullet lube and not waste your effort with TL, although it might work great after you establish the load. You will know that you need to start with the recommended starting load and work up to the accuracy load instead of going to the max load and then backing off.

Mean time, there is no reason you can not begin with the starting load and work your way up to reliable cycling and probably not have the leading you are presently experiencing with max or over max loads. And since you have not mentioned where the leading is forming, it can not be guessed if you are exceeding the lube limits, or the alloy limits. You are close, just finish the trip and you are home.

Sorry, I thought it would break out my comments from the quoted original post. Look for the (+)

Boolit Master
    Well i will try 40 or so lower powder charge bullets saturday. Those will have had time to harden 5 more days. Will report.

Boolit Master
    Ok well I have 20 loaded with 4 grains that had more time to harden.
    If those still lead, I'll try powdercoating again, with all else being the same. (load, OAL, bullet, size)

Would have to cast more as those have been sized and in contact with grease.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, as a relatively new caster and reloader, I gotta ask, "Why are you backing down to just 4.0gr?" I have not verified it myself, but if, as others have said, Lyman is recommending a starting load of 2.9 and a max of 4.4, why are you not loading 5 or so at .2g increments starting at 2.9-3. shooting each load from a rest for accuracy?" That would give you 30 or so which would verify fit. If you have minor leading, then maybe lube or the load at the top or bottom of the ladder was the culprit and you can start fine tuning it with whatever loads, lubes, powder types showed the most accuracy promise.

If your accuracy at 2.9 starts out bad and just continues to get worse because they all leaded the barrel, then it seems to me you have a larger issue- such as or alloy to solve and you eliminated the guessing work. Saves time for me.

Start low, work up. It either shows promise that can be capitalized on by fine tuning or a major problem that requires starting over.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark9025 View Post
    Ok, as a relatively new caster and reloader, I gotta ask, "Why are you backing down to just 4.0gr?" I have not verified it myself, but if, as others have said, Lyman is recommending a starting load of 2.9 and a max of 4.4, why are you not loading 5 or so at .2g increments starting at 2.9-3. shooting each load from a rest for accuracy?" That would give you 30 or so which would verify fit. If you have minor leading, then maybe lube or the load at the top or bottom of the ladder was the culprit and you can start fine tuning it with whatever loads, lubes, powder types showed the most accuracy promise.

If your accuracy at 2.9 starts out bad and just continues to get worse because they all leaded the barrel, then it seems to me you have a larger issue- such as or alloy to solve and you eliminated the guessing work. Saves time for me.

Start low, work up. It either shows promise that can be capitalized on by fine tuning or a major problem that requires starting over.
    You are wrong.
    You said "I have not verified it myself"
    Then why are you telling me what to do if you didn't even read the book?
    Please check the book again and post once you have read that book. Because I have it on the desk in front of me, next to the lee book, and 2 hornady books, and I don't need advice from someone who didn't read the book and posts wrong loads.

Boolit Buddy
    You are wrong.
    You said "I have not verified it myself"
    Then why are you telling me what to do if you didn't even read the book?
    Please check the book again and post once you have read that book. Because I have it on the desk in front of me, next to the lee book, and 2 hornady books, and I don't need advice from someone who didn't read the book and posts wrong loads.
    Because I was trying to be gracious and give you an opportunity to provide reasoning as to why, it seems from this thread at least, that you are not following generally accepted best practices that have been suggested numerous times.

It appears to have been an error on my part to extend that courtesy. One I'll not make in the future.

Be well.

Boolit Master
    Perhaps he is reading the information from my post #128 ? Where I specify the source. I believe you verified that your max load was hot. He is NOT posting wrong loads according to the Lyman manual. There is no harm in suggesting that safe reloading practices be followed.

Boolit Master
    He is.
    book states 3.9 to 4.4
    he posted try 2.9 to 3 in .2 increments
    this wont cycle its a full grain under min load.
    You entered 2.9 instead of 3.9 and that beginner just gave me advice based on wrong numbers. He does not even own the book and he is giving memwrong advice. I truly hate beginners giving wrong advice. Read the book or don't give your opinion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Perhaps he is reading the information from my post #128 ? Where I specify the source. I believe you verified that your max load was hot. He is NOT posting wrong loads according to the Lyman manual. There is no harm in suggesting that safe reloading practices be followed.

Oh i'm just quoting rgarding my previous post.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark9025 View Post
    Because I was trying to be gracious and give you an opportunity to provide reasoning as to why, it seems from this thread at least, that you are not following generally accepted best practices that have been suggested numerous times.

It appears to have been an error on my part to extend that courtesy. One I'll not make in the future.

Be well.
    Excellent idea, please do not give me wrong advice in the future.