Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: I don't get it. Another 9mm fail.

Boolit Grand Master
    .357 works for me. .358 is even better.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Nothing to loose, I'll shoot 50 or so 357 this thursday and compare to 358 (same load, same lube).

If I get the same amount of leading, I'll try to PC some 357 and see.

What's nice is that I now have spots of lead just in the first inch, the rest is super clean.
    Before that, the first half was quite clean, and it was really bad the next half of the barrel.

Boolit Master
    357 full of leading after 30 rounds also.
    Only thing left is to try 357 powdercoated. I am really starting to wonder if this is all worth it considering the time and effort required to cast and PC and cook 100 rounds, when a pack of 1000 9mm plated bullets is 100$.... I am seriously considering selling all this and just buying plated. My scrap WW lead simply doesnt seem to want to work with 9mm.

last test will be shooting PCed bullets at 357 then I'm done if that fails.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    357 full of leading after 30 rounds also.
    Only thing left is to try 357 powdercoated. I am really starting to wonder if this is all worth it considering the time and effort required to cast and PC and cook 100 rounds, when a pack of 1000 9mm plated bullets is 100$.... I am seriously considering selling all this and just buying plated. My scrap WW lead simply doesnt seem to want to work with 9mm.

last test will be shooting PCed bullets at 357 then I'm done if that fails.
    Yeah that pretty much sums up why I gave up last time as well. I'm giving it another try though for kicks. At this point it is just a matter of pride, I'd like to figure it out. IIRC you are using a standard glock with upgraded barrel?
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I might just sell the lead and stop, because really, I don't feel like hand picking bullets with tweezers to ESPC, then tweezer on a tray to cook, then all this for like 100 bullets, that's 10$, hours of time....
    even if it worked, I don't have time to do that with the baby and everything, and I can afford the plated bullets anyway.

My goal was to make it work with wheel weights and lube, because that would have been reasonably fast in a lube sizer, but its just not happening, and I really don't feel like starting over with 45 or whatever.

I don't have a lot of free time with the baby and the business, and at this point, I have kind of determined that scrap wheel weights + lube leads in 9mm.

I'm probably just selling everything, lead, melter, molds (dont ask, i'm in canada).

Yes, glock 17 with an aftermarket match rifled barrel.

And at 100$ per 1000 plated bullets that I can just dump in my press and load, that always work and never lead, it's kind of hard to justify the trouble right now.

I'm out guys, thanks for the whole cast bullet journey, that was fun over the years but now with the baby (and more coming), I simply don't see myself having time to play with lead again in the next 20 years or so.

Boolit Master
    You're welcome, take care! Good luck with the little ones, peace to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And at 100$ per 1000 plated bullets that I can just dump in my press and load, that always work and never lead, it's kind of hard to justify the trouble right now.

I'm out guys, thanks for the whole cast bullet journey, that was fun over the years but now with the baby (and more coming), I simply don't see myself having time to play with lead again in the next 20 years or so.
    I'm sorry to see collectively we couldn't resolve your 9mm cast issues. I've had nothing but great performance from cast lead from several different molds. I am loading 9mm like a commodity now using a Lee Auto Drum powder measure and BE-86 powder. With all of that said, I recently discovered Berrys plated 125gr round nose for 9mm and had I started with plated, I have to admit, I'd probably never gone off the reservation into the world of cast for 9mm. Those Berry's load so clean, fast and consistent and are not expensive! As long as I lube my cast a couple days in advance, the Recluse tumble lube isn't much issue either but those Berrys are gorgeous.

Boolit Master
    I shot 35 tonight to test, powdercoated, 357, in my rifled barrel.
    For the first time, I went with the lab radar.
    I though that they were slow, but they shot at 1100 FPS (3.9 HP38) 124RF

Not that much residue, a bit of leading only after 35 rounds.

Maybe I should find the lower charge that cycles? 1100 fps is quite fast for a lead bullet, maybe if I go back to finding the lowest load that cycles, well, it wouldn't lead that much at all?
    (that speed with lube gave generous leading)

Boolit Master

I have only started loading cast in 9mm, and load for 2 handguns, neither of which is a Glock. That being said, I don't drive the boolits that fast (1100fps), mostly because I don't want to chase the brass through the brush in my range behind the barn. I shoot for (pun intended) something less than 1050, with ~975-1000 just fine. Even 900 is cool, the brass doesn't go far, and it's all about the practice.

After reading this entire thread, it occurs to me that I have read similar threads about loading 9mm cast. Many of these threads involve Glocks, and the different rifling used in them, and the singular problems inherent with that design.

I have considered purchasing a G26, or the newer single stack - G43 ?

However, it seems that so many folks have troubles with Glocks and cast boolits, that the easy way is to use plated for practice and jacketed for carry.
    But that means I would need to stock plated, for just that one firearm.

I just don't need the logistical complications involved. I suppose I'll just stay with the conventionally rifled weapons.

Never really liked the way Glocks looked anyway....

Boolit Master
    maybe you missed the part where I was using a rifled barrel.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789