WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Cutting a die

Boolit Buddy

Cutting a die

So I got an NOE expander plug (359PC) that I want to use with 9mm. After looking at it and talking to Al it seems that the plug sits too far up in the die for the case , even with the die screwed down touching the shellplate, to have the second step to act on the case and flare the mouth. I believe it may be possible to solve the problem by cutting the die off essentially flush with the bottom of the plug and then screw it all the way in. Issue is I have no idea how to cut the die. I have the basic hand tool, file, drills, dremel etc but nothing like a mill,CNC,Lathe etc. To have it work and be able to still thread and not take all day, what would you guys recommend.

Thank you

Rich

Banned

band saw or porta band.
    screw a couple of old rings on then cut.
    then screw the rings off [a little anti-sieze helps here] and clean up the thread ends with a small file.
    just make sure you cut between the threads all the way across and not through them or you'll have 2 places trying to start into the press.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    band saw or porta band.
    screw a couple of old rings on then cut.
    then screw the rings off [a little anti-sieze helps here] and clean up the thread ends with a small file.
    just make sure you cut between the threads all the way across and not through them or you'll have 2 places trying to start into the press.
    Unfortunately I do not have either of those or access to one.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Rich - do you know anybody who has a metal lathe? If so, they could easily chuck the die in a 3 jaw chuck or a collet chuck - depending on the design of the die - and use a cutoff tool to cut it to length. As mentioned above - put a couple of nuts on it before cutting and unscrewing will clean the threads of any burrs after the cut. Or if you have a machine shop around your area - you might be able to get them to do it. If not, there are several on here who could help you out. Check in the vendor section or possibly make a separate post in the WTB section or as a thread here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Rich - do you know anybody who has a metal lathe? If so, they could easily chuck the die in a 3 jaw chuck or a collet chuck - depending on the design of the die - and use a cutoff tool to cut it to length. As mentioned above - put a couple of nuts on it before cutting and unscrewing will clean the threads of any burrs after the cut. Or if you have a machine shop around your area - you might be able to get them to do it. If not, there are several on here who could help you out. Check in the vendor section or possibly make a separate post in the WTB section or as a thread here.
    no I don't unfortunately, I will do a WTB and check out vendor, thank you

A drill press and a cut-off wheel will work as well. Assuming you have a drill press..
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master

Do you have another die body that is shorter?

With the Lee and NOE expander, all the die body does is hold the expander. As long as the die body will allow a 9mm to enter, things should work. Even if the die body is for .45 ACP.

Banned

Usually the expander die body isn't harden quite as hard as a sizer die, if any at all. Buy a new 32 tooth quality hacksaw blade, screw the lock ring on the die exposing how much of the threads you want to cut off. You'll be using the lock ring as a guide to cut square with the hacksaw. When it is cut off run the lock ring up the die body further so you can file the sharp corners off before unscrewing the lock ring should you need to do that.

You can use a Dremel with a cut off wheel, but it's hard to get a square cut and those cut off wheels like to kick back and shatter too. If you do use that method please wear eye protection.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    Do you have another die body that is shorter?

With the Lee and NOE expander, all the die body does is hold the expander. As long as the die body will allow a 9mm to enter, things should work. Even if the die body is for .45 ACP.
    No drill press anymore unfortunatly. I do not have a shorter die body that would accept the expander no. Hacksaw sounds like an idea but that sounds like one heck of a lot of cutting.

Moderator Emeritus

Is this the Lee universal expander (flare) die ?
    Because that is what I use with NOE expander plugs.
    what I do, is leave one of the Lee "flare" plugs inside the die, as a spacer...which then lowers the NOE expander plug to the bottom of the Die...No need to cut the die.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Is this the Lee universal expander (flare) die ?
    Because that is what I use with NOE expander plugs.
    what I do, is leave one of the Lee "flare" plugs inside the die, as a spacer...which then lowers the NOE expander plug to the bottom of the Die...No need to cut the die.
    Yes it is. In this particular case and this particular expander I believe it is needed and here is why. With the length of the plug before reaching the second "step" and with the start of the plug being approx 1/4 inch up inside the die (with the other lee piece in on top with the NOE plug on bottom) and the distance between the shellplate and the bottom of the die. You have A+B+C (A being length of plug before second step) (B being distance from bottom of plug to bottom of die) ( C being distance between bottom of die and shellplate even with the die turned all the way down to meeting the plate), this distance is then too much for the die to act on a normal 9mm case in the normal way with the second step. Since you cannot mod the distance from bottom of die to shellplate you have to either move the plug down in the die or reduce the die length so that the plug and the bottom of the die are essentially at the same plane so there is not a gap that the case has to pass before it is acted upon. Hopefully this makes some sense. Apparently this plug was not really intended for 9mm but for my uses it is the only one wide enough to have a hope that it will work with my bullet feeder. The other expander plug I have works well with 300 Blackout so I assume I am using the die correctly.

Thank you

Rich

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder why you are using the Lee die and NOE plug on a 9mm. Doesn't you die set have and expanding die in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
    No drill press anymore unfortunatly. I do not have a shorter die body that would accept the expander no. Hacksaw sounds like an idea but that sounds like one heck of a lot of cutting.
    if i hadn't lathe,i would cut that die with a small angle grinder,using thinnest available cut off wheel,
    i do use 1mm thick 125mm dia. cut off wheels for example.

one tip: new unused wheels tend to wobble a bit laterally,so if there's need for a clean and accurate cut,
    it is better to use half worn wheel.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I wonder why you are using the Lee die and NOE plug on a 9mm. Doesn't you die set have and expanding die in it?
    It does have an expander but with this plug I am hoping to more accurately flare the mouth and expand without shaving the bullet. The expander does do a good job but I got this just to do it better.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hatti View Post
    if i hadn't lathe,i would cut that die with a small angle grinder,using thinnest available cut off wheel,
    i do use 1mm thick 125mm dia. cut off wheels for example.

one tip: new unused wheels tend to wobble a bit laterally,so if there's need for a clean and accurate cut,
    it is better to use half worn wheel.
    I did not think of this. I believe I just bought one last time I was in harbor freight. I will check. use a cheap lock ring I can destroy and not worry about as a guide hmm

Boolit Grand Master

Unless there is something wrong with your expander plug in your die set it should be able to be adjusted to do what you want. If not call the die manufacturer and they will probably send you a new expander plug.