Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alone at deer camp

Boolit Master

Alone at deer camp

Today was the first day of alternative methods season here in MO. My brother and nephew had their Christmas dinner tonight and my main huntin buddy couldn't come this weekend. So as it ends up I'm here by myself and as you can tell I may be bored.
    Didnt see no deer today. There are no grouse here and I had to eat tuna for supper. Did see lots of squirrels. But didn't shoot any.

I love teepee living!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Banned

I see posts from guys who make a big social deer camp of friends and spend a week in the woods. I do like to camp out, it's a fun activity in and of itself, but one of the things I like about my deer hunting is the solitude. I'm also fortunate to live close to a good tract of public land where I hunt, so staying out really isn't necessary.

One day, I'll try an overnight away camp during deer season, it does sound like fun. Good luck with that muzzle loader.

Boolit Master

Like richhodg66 I like solitude when I hunt. And to me hunting is more about finding the critters than it is about shooting them.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Better get some more firewood....

Enjoy your solo hunt. Just be mindful to not over-exert yourself, especially hauling out meat! Is that an H&R smokepole? I've got 2 of them.

Vendor Sponsor
    Recently went camping/hunting by myself also. Not too far from where I live. It was a practice run for the new tent stove I built.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I did take a walk and do some coyote calling but they only laughed at me from afar. But the stove worked good. It was an awesome relaxing weekend. With it getting dark early I really caught up on much needed sleep and being close to home I was able to pack up and make it home in time to watch football on Sun.

Boolit Master

Today was the first day of alternative methods season here in MO. My brother and nephew had their Christmas dinner tonight and my main huntin buddy couldn't come this weekend. So as it ends up I'm here by myself and as you can tell I may be bored

A perfect opportunity to invite retired, or disabled, vets to join you. Maybe next year?

Merry Christmas All!

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Master
    I also like solitude. I've always said I treasured my own company. I love to hunt/camp but don't care much for camping just to be camping. I've spent many days/nights alone at deer camp. Once I had a week vacation that I took during muzzleloader season. All my hunting buddies had to work so I never saw another human from Sunday night until the following Saturday morn. It was grand!!

Scout
    It is an H&R. To bad they don't make them anymore. I've only killed one deer with it. I've shot several deer while carrying it but they were close enough for my pistol and I used that instead. When it was still muzzleloader only I shot two with my 58 rem while packing the H&R.

Ill tell this on myself before someone else does.
    This morning my brother and nephew was going to stop on the highway and walk down a couple points and hunt. I was to be in the river bottom in case they jumped something up. They would be starting at 6:00 AM. I wanted to be in place when it was light enough to shoot.

I went to bed early and slept like a baby. Woke up in the same position I lay down in. Looked at my watch with my 60 yr old eyes and saw it was 6:00 straight up. Jumped out of bed, fried up some breakfast, got dressed, jumped on the 4 wheeler for the 20 min ride to the bottom.

After I parked the 4 wheeler I walked a ways down toward my stand. I then sat down to wait for daylight. After thinking the dark was sure hanging on this morning I looked at my watch.
    I had to look twice to confirm that it indeed said 1:30. When I woke up it was 12:30 straight up not 6:00

I laughed all the way back to camp.

Moderator Emeritus

I am another that generally hunts alone. A draw is an exception as 4 of us put in together for elk. Being by yourself for a week without seeing other humans is a unique experience too few get, IMO.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

My last hunting trip had plenty of solitude. I filled my cooler first day of a four day hunt so I sat in or near camp and watched critters and birds. It's a good opportunity to sort out the things that bounce around in my head and my cell phone (thus internet) don't work out there so it's a refreshing experience. I'll take a book next time, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Someone once asked me about that kind of hunting, they ask if it is lonely.
    I said no, it is not lonely, it is peaceful.

I am blessed to be able to hunt on our own land. I walk out the door and in 1/2 hour I am up my tree waiting for daylight. I have never done the group hunt thing. Waiting for it to get light is a great experience.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    Wolfer,

That story is great!! I laughed too. Probably not something I would have done though...way too lazy for that!!!

Boolit Master
    When you said "alternative methods" I had visions of somebody hunting with a hickory switch!
    Nice setup, btw. What size is your tipi? Am I seeing the inner wall there? I love canvas tents, and have a Reliable spike tent and a homebuilt woodstove for it. I also have one of those H&R muzzleloaders in .45; and used to have one in .58.
    Last edited by Tracy; 12-21-2015 at 06:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    This is a sheep herder tent from Davis tent. An excellent company to do business with. My old stove is 15 yrs old and like me was showing its age. This one is made from an army shell can that I picked up at a flea market for $10

I prefer a wall tent to this style but this is quite easy for me to set up by myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus

Great story, Wolfer. I can tell you're the kind of guy I'd love to share a tent with. Enjoying solitude is getting to be a lost art form. And good comments all around, too. Solitude is maybe half the reason it's so enjoyable to hunt these days, plus being "out there" where there's only you, and God and His creations. Keeps the sense of awe and wonder of it all strong. Thanks for a great post.

Boolit Master
    Tracy
    Its 12'x12' I just refer to it as a tepee.

Thanks Blackwater, In years past I've probably shared Elk/ deer camp with well over a hundred different men. 10 days in Elk camp and you really get to know someone. Often better than you would like.
    Good hunting, camping partners are a treasure and a joy to be in the wilderness with.

Boolit Master
    Nice! When I bought mine I looked at the wall tents. I prefer them too, but bought my spike tent for its ease of pitching and taking down by one person.
    After reading this yesterday I headed over to Reliable's website to look at their tipis. I might get one yet.

Wolfer - this is my first post here in a while, and to my amazement this was the first thread I looked at tonight. What a great flood of memories this has rekindled. I hunted with a deer club in Arkansas for over 3 decades, and a few of the hunting friends I made there are still alive, but most are long gone. There were many nights I spent alone in the small metal shed we had there with one of those wonderful cast iron wood stoves; hearing it lightly gurgle all night, feeding it a log every two hours or so, and hearing the woods outside was a special treat. Occasionally, I would be the only one there for several nights, and like one of the posters above said: It is not lonely, it is peaceful. I never had any problem finding enough things to look at in myself to be entertained in musing at what could be improved, and that is, indeed, a lost art these days. We used to dig "biscuit pits" - pits where the dutch ovens would fit, to cook sourdough biscuits and sourdough Jalapeno cornbread, along with sourdough Blackberry or Cherry cobbler; those were some of the finest days I've lived, and some of the most precious days Our Lord has graciously blessed me with. Glad you had a chance to enjoy your time alone. Merry Christmas, and thanks for sharing your story.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Master

I had the opportunity to spend a few months pretty much alone in a tipi the winter of 80 - 81. That was shortly after getting out of the navy at age 24. There is a big difference between "alone" and "peaceful". Sometimes, I'd hear folks coming and slip into the brush to hide out until they gave up and left. I did get tired of cottontail rabbits, who liked to jump into my traps set for ole wiley. Those that have not experienced "solitude" really don't know what they are missing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast