Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Tripod for spotting scope recommendation needed please

Tripod for spotting scope recommendation needed please

I recently purchased a Leupold Ventana 20-60 spotting scope. The tripod that it came with is total garbage; and that's putting it kindly. Anyhow, I'm looking for a tripod that is sturdy enough to keep this thing from shaking, but won't break the bank. I don't really care for the table top style as it crowds up too much space on my bench. Any recommendation?

PS - when I say I don't want to break the bank, I should add that my budget is $150 max.

thanks all
    do unto others................

Boolit Grand Master

There are several styles out therethat are solid and compact. There is the freelands style bi pod that has been used for position shooting rifle matches, Jim(?) Owens made and sold one that was 3 legs and adjustable sliding tubes for hieght. along with some others. Champ[iions choice, champions shooters supply, I believe Jim owens sight was Jarhead .com. The actual tripods can be hard to get the spotting scope close enough to use from position. These can be set up along side the bench or position so only a slight turn of the head allows the scope to be used. Also if your handy a c-clamp can be converted to clamp the scope to the bench solidly. The freelads base with a spike or counter wieght is portable and solid. The 2 mentioned bases are adjustable from a low prone position to standing off hand and in between.

Boolit Master
    Here is one that attaches to the bench and will be as stable as the bench is.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/optics/s...prod37923.aspx

You could even have somebody weld you up something similar, does not have to look pretty, only work.

Boolit Grand Master

With the right c-clamp it would not need to be welded. epoxy the upright to the clamp and drill and tap 2 bolt holes bolting it together. Then is the means to mount the spotting scope to the rod is all.

Quote Originally Posted by robpete View Post
    I recently purchased a Leupold Ventana 20-60 spotting scope. The tripod that it came with is total garbage; and that's putting it kindly. Anyhow, I'm looking for a tripod that is sturdy enough to keep this thing from shaking, but won't break the bank. I don't really care for the table top style as it crowds up too much space on my bench. Any recommendation?

PS - when I say I don't want to break the bank, I should add that my budget is $150 max.

thanks all
    So do you want it mounted to a bench?
    Do you want it to stand alone?
    Are you going to use it standing up shooting off hand?

I have multiple Tripods because I find something works best for one solution
    and not so well for another.

For standing up and shooting off hand I like a 45 deg eyepiece with a Video Camera
    Tripod and I usually hang a sand bag off of the tripod to add weight.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...y-video-tripod
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...-tripod-system

For Prone I have a high power design which works oK on a table

for using my spotting scope as a telephoto lens from the vehicle
    I use a clamp on the window type.

It just depends upon useage
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I just use a cheap one from a camera shop, works great. Mine has a "lug" that attaches to the camera, for a quick mount/quick release feature. I just put that lug on the spotting scope. Snap it on/ snap it off. I set it up next the bench, not touching the bench, so it doesn't get bumped or shaken and knocked off target.

Moderator Emeritus

One of the fellows who used to shoot in pistol league used a microphone stand. The bottom is three points coming out from a centrally threaded hole, with an adjustable height pipe screwed into it. He screwed a 1/4"-20 bolt in top, with a bit extending -- to fasten his spotting scope to it. Worked great, and cost next to nothing, as he acquired it. Another fellow used a camera tripod. Just a couple of suggestions; good luck!
    geo

Boolit Bub
    Check the thrift stores for camera tripods. I found a good quality one for less than $20 but it was missing the adapter plate. Those are available online and are identified by a code molded into the top of the tripod.

Boolit Master
    Camera tripods, except for the big and expensive ones, don't hold it tightly enough from tilting. This is mainly because the axis of the tilt control is too far below the scope. Usually the complete pan and tilt device will unscrew to reveal a short screw thread by which you can attach it to an improvised cradle. Aligning on the target can be done by adjusting the leg length, if the legs are telescopic with clamping clips.

Boolit Master
    I prefer The Bogen tripods. I use mine for all my tripod uses. Camera, spotting scope and brass catcher.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

Scope Mount

http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/Ca...tml?sort=3&o=8

http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/Ca...tml?sort=3&o=5

http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/Ca...tml?sort=3&o=4

While I was working I made some of these and still have a few for sale.
    Very sturdy and wind resistant if your bench is good and stable.
    The pipe and clamp can be got at any hardware store.
    PM if your interested in one.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had my local welder weld an angled arm with the top fitted with a flat plate to secure the scope and the bottom an 8 x 10 base. In the base I drilled and tapped 3 locations for adjustable feet (big screws). It's rock solid from a good bench and can be adjusted for up and down with a thumb screw. No wiggle at all, even at the higher powers. Heavy is good. Viewed from the side it kind of has a "z" profile.

I refuse to buy a Tripod new. I have several and all of them are older. Some have wooden legs and these are the most stable.

But most of the ones I buy come right out of Thrift Stores and are of the "Telescoping Tube" style. Larger the main tube the better and 1 1/4-1 1/2 are the big ones. There will be at least one in every Thrift Store. Look for the heaviest one you can find and pay attention to how the camera mounts. Most use a 1/4-20 captive screw. This is what you are looking for as it mates up to Spotting Scopes Chrony's and most other gear designed to be used with a Tripod.

Others need an adapter which never seems to be around.

I have never paid more than $5 and have several nice Heavy Duty Aluminum Tube type Tripods.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    I prefer The Bogen tripods. I use mine for all my tripod uses. Camera, spotting scope and brass catcher.

swamp
    This. I quit looking for a spotting scope mount after buying a Manfrotto.

Boolit Buddy
    Remember, a Tripod will be some distance away from the bench due to the leg spread.

I also use the table mount from Sinclair cited in post 3. Works great and doesn't take up much table space.

Check eBay as there are many for sale and some are downright great tripods for less than half new.
    I can not know what I don't know.

Boolit Master

I picked up a nice 80mm spotting scope a few years ago and opted for a new heavy duty Tpod. Ended up going for a carbon fiber job (vortex) i believe for 180 bills. Weigt wise it is comparable to an alloy tpod but ridgid and sturdy.

A good source for tpods is ebay, craigslist and localmpawn shops. Get familiar with pricing and be ready to haggle at the pawn shop.

Boolit Master

I picked up a nice 80mm spotting scope a few years ago and opted for a new heavy duty Tpod. Ended up going for a carbon fiber job (vortex) i believe for 180 bills. Weigt wise it is comparable to an alloy tpod but ridgid and sturdy.

A good source for tpods is ebay, craigslist and localmpawn shops. Get familiar with pricing and be ready to haggle at the pawn shop.

Boolit Master
    Do not bother with a tri pod

http://www.champchoice.com/store/mai...&item=CC700SJC

its a liitle more than your budget but I really like mine

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/produ...eedmoor-Stands

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    Here is one that attaches to the bench and will be as stable as the bench is.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/optics/s...prod37923.aspx

You could even have somebody weld you up something similar, does not have to look pretty, only work.
    I did exactly this, welded a scope stand section to a big c-clamp. And you are right, it's not pretty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clamp.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	161349