Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microcrystalline or Paraffin wax ?wanted

Boolit Master

Microcrystalline or Paraffin wax ?wanted

Is there any interest in Microcrystalline or Paraffin wax High melt point wax..1-2 lb or more quantities. I am thinking about carrying this and am testing the waters. This would be for higher melt point Lubes added to beeswax carrier lubes. For harder lubes, to stiffen some softer lubes up or mix with beeswax.
    I think I would carry the Microcrystalline about 170 deg melt temp wax. I'm open for recommendations.

" Microcrystalline wax is a refined mixture of hydrocarbons and produced by de-oiling certain fractions from the petroleum refining process. Microcrystalline waxes are tougher, more flexible and generally higher in melting point than paraffin wax. The fine crystal structure also enables microcrystalline wax to bind solvents or oil, and thus prevent the sweating-out of compositions."

Microcrystalline waxes are much harder to find at a decent price than common paraffin wax.

to be honest i'm guessing that it would be slower at sales than beeswax , using it as a main base hasnt worked so well for me , granted i've been tinkering more with the highest melt temp ones i could find ,had my best luck using it as a small additive , the 170 range is about where beeswax starts scorching ( 165 F iirc ) my journey has been interesting ( at least i get to shoot more :P ) but i'm far from reaching my holy grail of a good 200 F+ melt temp lube ( yeah i know some people lolz ) in the end i'd bet several will want to tinker with it and as you stated a pound or two would fit in well with an order of other stuff
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

I think the MC waxes would be better than the larger molecule Paraffin and it would have a 170 deg melt temp instead of 163 with high melt temp Paraffin wax..

I have always went with about 175 to 185 deg F scorch/ discoloration temp for beeswax (i've been wrong before), not much room to play with, but if you want a wax base lube to hold up in a hot environment it's gotta get done.

Fryboy, I'm not worried about selling tons of it , just having it on hand when people want it

Boolit Master
    I'd be interested in picking up a lb or two of the microcrystalline wax
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I would be interested in your micro offering. Not for lubes (I PC everything) but for my antique refinishing hobby interests.

Advise price when you have a handle on it by PM.

banger

yes!!!
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Banned

if you find some with a much higher melt point let me know would ya.
    it takes 350-450f to break down the stearates we use for binding agents in many lubes if we could find a good long strand [or multi strand would be better] long molecular chain wax that would hold 450-f for a period of time it would be a boon to lube making for many of us.

Boolit Master

I would be interested in a pound or two.

RB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if you find some with a much higher melt point let me know would ya.
    it takes 350-450f to break down the stearates we use for binding agents in many lubes if we could find a good long strand [or multi strand would be better] long molecular chain wax that would hold 450-f for a period of time it would be a boon to lube making for many of us.
    I noticed
    http://www.shopblendedwaxes.com/Microcrystalline-Wax/
    Can customize wax blends mix and match,,,,BUT the cost is way out there...Just the #431 180 deg f melt temp is $4/lb before shipping.
    The Micro wax with 170 Deg f melt temp that I'm planning on selling will have a price tag of about $3.50/lb for small amounts no Minimum order..But if I run into a super high temp melt wax I certainly will jump on it, providing I can get it at the right price.

Moderator Emeritus

I have received several PM's asking where to buy MW after I posted about SL68B.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...how-to-make-it

One member, who is local to me and who rarely posts, recently bought some MW to make SL68 and/or SL68B? I'm not sure which direction he has decided to go?, I think he bought a 10lb lot? He did ask me about how to go about selling the excess, if he decides he has excess? ...he wasn't sure yet

Anyway, I think the interest is out there. I'd think a MW with a 180ºF melt temp would be the one to go with.

Lastly, if you do start selling some, whatever it is, I would consider making a batch or two of SL68B with it, if you want, and share some samples, and run a few limited tests for myself, in my shooting conditions...let me know.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

the SL/68-B is a good lube.
    a higher melt point wax could help it along further and also allow a different soap matrix to be used.

Boolit Master
    I would be interested in some. I have been playing around with some multi wax lubes but have been unwilling to buy 10lbs of wax when I only need a few ounces to experiment with.

I'm beginning to reach the conclusion that the larger the variety of waxes a lube contains, the more likely it is to perform well under varying conditions.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Mmyyeah, count me in for a pound or two. IIRC, my interest was more towards the 185°F microwax...don't remember the number but it was a Blended Waxes product.

One of our guys was using equal (?) parts of two microwaxes..so I might really be most interested in one pound of each of such a pair.

And Randy--I just put my last stick of TAC #1 into the Star sizer. I'm gonna have to do something by June anyway. If I can't buy 3-5 sticks of someone's SL-68 no mods, then it's off to buy the components myself and cook up some Ivory and such. OR...you could add SL-68 to your products list. I'm just not interested in the beeswax modified version, despite it being among the successful "Extreme" lubes. Original is more simple and easier to mix and not subject to interruption from biological disasters.

Boolit Master

I was wanting to make up a batch of SL 68B for my own experiments and notice that the recipe calls for three different micro-waxes can a guy get buy with the same amount of one wax with the 185 degree melt point?

RB

Boolit Buddy
    I would have some interest as well.
    I made a batch of SL-68B using the only micro crystalline wax I could find in small quantity. 145 F melt temp. very near the melt temp of the BW. I must say it has worked as stated in the temps I have used it at so far, but nothing over 65 F or under 30 F yet. I have not measured it but the melt temp of the lube is pretty high but it flows through the lube sizer even @ 40 F. The best thing about it that has been realized by shooting this lube is the absence of the cold barrel fliers! Pretty important in a hunting situation.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rhbrink View Post
    I was wanting to make up a batch of SL 68B for my own experiments and notice that the recipe calls for three different micro-waxes can a guy get buy with the same amount of one wax with the 185 degree melt point?

RB
    That is up for debate..Some say the combo of several different waxes is the cat's Meow..????
    I don't want to turn this into a discussion on that subject, right now. I would rather talk about the types of waxes you guys want me to carry for your convenience.
    I do like your curiosity though and it would make a good thread discussion.

I know Gear and runfiverun have many many hours of working on this subject, I think they could write a book on it.

I am leaning toward several different melt temp waxes on hand or maybe two different melt temp option. One high temp and a med melt temp wax. I'm leaning toward having at the minimum a 180 Deg F on hand

Boolit Master

Randy are you going to carry it in block or flacks?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Moderator Emeritus

I think the 170 and the 180, that you mentioned above, would be the way to go for those who want to try to make a version of SL68.

THEN, If you happen to talk to a rep about a MW with a higher melt temp (around 200º or so), maybe you could arrange a group buy, so you don't end up stuck with some expensive wax in stock. I bet there would be several people willing to pay the price for a lb or two.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I would be more interested in the 180 degree melt temp or two different melt temps the main reason is to help eliminate the cold barrel fliers for hunting. Other than that there are plenty of great lubes out there for general shooting and serious paper punching.

RB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast