Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage Axis $240 Yea or Nay?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman52 View Post
    I have an Axis HB in 308 on a Boyd's stock. Replaced the factory trigger with an accutrigger. Shoots great. Likes cast boolits as well.
    Good to hear, that's probably the same mod's I'll do.

Boolit Bub
    I ordered an Axis Heavy Barrel in 243 off Gun Broker, too good of a deal to pass up. Savage has the rebate on the heavy barrel going now through June.

http://www.acusport.com/Images/PDF/S...Feb1_Jun30.pdf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barney67 View Post
    I ordered an Axis Heavy Barrel in 243 off Gun Broker, too good of a deal to pass up. Savage has the rebate on the heavy barrel going now through June.

http://www.acusport.com/Images/PDF/S...Feb1_Jun30.pdf
    Thanks for the heads-up. Where did you find this? I can't find anything on Savage's web site about a new rebate program.

Boolit Bub
    Rebate is listed in the GunBroker auction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=540010129

Boolit Master
    Yea. My 223 is a great shooter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barney67 View Post
    Rebate is listed in the GunBroker auction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=540010129
    Thanks. That's a screaming deal. The rebate offer now shows up on the Savage web site.

The only way the Axis could be any better is if mags were a little easier/cheaper to come by. I've enjoyed messing around with mine. Simply can't beat it for the money really and mine seems to shoot cast well enough although I haven't tested a bunch of loads through it just yet. I'm tempted to shorten the barrel on mine a bit, I got the 30/06 and am pleased.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR View Post
    Thanks. That's a screaming deal. The rebate offer now shows up on the Savage web site.
    Yeah, less than $250 out the door after the rebate, couldn't pass it up.

I must be the only one that hasn't did anything to the axis I bought other than shoot it.

Fin feather fur has been having sales every month with some sort of asix combo. This month is no different, they have a rifle/scope combo for $199 after rebate and just a rifle for $149 after rebate.

https://www.finfeatherfur.com/wp-con...b_2016_Web.pdf

I bought a heavy bbl's with scope (sold the scope for $75) asix II in 223 with the acru-trigger from them. And a standard bbl'd 308 axis II with a scope and accru-trigger that's still in the box. Both were $250 after rebate.

I do use/shoot the 223 & I've done nothing to it other than put a different scope on it. Never took the action out of the stock or did anything to the trigger. I just shoot it as it came from the factory, never bother to check and see what the trigger is set at. It's actually pretty good right out of the box for a field rifle. Bought both rifles/calibers to use as a test bed for my home swaged bullets.

I've been extremely impressed with the hb 223. Out of the box, no adjustments of any kind with mixed range brass and home swaged bullets. It took around 100 rounds to break it in and the 1 ladder test with bl-c2 to find a moa load with the 62gr home swaged jacketed bullets. Don't know what it is but 25gr to 26gr of bl-c2 has produced moa accuracy for me in several 223's and 8 or 9 different bullets. The axis is no different. Testing for plinking loads, not br accuracy by any means but but I'm happy with that 25.5gr load coupled with free home made bullets. Free ='s free 22lr cases and free range lead.

[IMG][/IMG]

When I was doing the bbl break-in I was using home made 62gr hp's, mixed range brass, and 20 year old ww846 pull down powder. Surprised me to get moa (barely) accuracy with that combo. Was just getting an idea of how the bbl acted/heated up while doing shot strings.

[IMG][/IMG]

Didn't matter which way I measured the 22.0gr group, it was an inch outside to outside.

[IMG][/IMG]

Anyway, not bad for a cheap rifle with a flimsy stock and a trigger set to whatever it left the factory with. One of these days I'm going to have to break down and buy some quality ammo like wolf instead of the mix and match free range junk I've been feeding it.

Myself, I'm going to leave both rifles just as they came from the factory. I like the all weather, light weight design of these rifles and even though the stock is flimsy 1 rifle has already showed that it not only can shoot moa. But do better with ammo it likes. I'm sure that the 308 will be no different. The axis is one heck of a rifle for the $$$$.

I hope you enjoy your rifle and test/find their full potential.

Boolit Master
    I've had good luck with blc-2, and 52 amax. Never did get mine to shoot the 62gr and heavier stuff very good. I tried some 75gr amax, but they looked like buckshot patterns!

Boolit Bub
    Got my rebate check on the 243HB from Savage today, also ordered a 308HB and 22-250HB from Buds last week, prices were $302 and $236 respectively, I see they're both at $305 today.

One thing I will point out

The two piece scope base Allen screws are installed TIGHT. I have a scope I was wanting to try out for my "truck gun" concept and was going to install a weaver 48347 one piece multi slot base (~$15 shipped off ebay) and found several of the screws were in there good, ended up sawing a flat head slot into the one to get it out as the hex stripped right out.

One thing I almost always do when possible is to swap out allen head screws with flat heads. I always have flat head drivers on my person at all times but Allen wrenches are not a EDC thing. If you're thinking about using this rifle long term (think SHTF) you may want to consider a one piece base and swapping out the screws accordingly.

We're having a 300 yard practice day for high power at our range so I may take this out and see how it does with the new scope. I put a 2.5x20 deerhunter shotgun scope on it. I wanted something very durable, we'll see if its more of a handicap than I'm anticipating or not. I don't like the idea of a variable scope or high fixed powers for a possible truck gun application.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I see a lot of them at the range where I am an RO, no complaints and they all seem accurate enough for not much money.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Moderator Emeritus

I finally got around to taking some photos of my Axis with the Boyds Stock
    Attachment 207297

Attachment 207298
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

How do the magazines clip in to the boyds stock?

Also I did end up getting a few spare barrels for mine and cutting one of the 30/06 barrels down to 16 1/2" and its a handy package to say the least. Very fun and well balanced now I think.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

I love that boyds stock. I have the Savage Axis with the accutrigger. Stock is functional but flimsy. I have been eyeballing those Boyds for 2 years.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I finally got around to taking some photos of my Axis with the Boyds Stock
    Attachment 207297

Attachment 207298
    That was a heck of a deal and... the rifle looks great!
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

I preferred the Stevens 200 but the Axis I shot recently was very good under that odd looking exterior. Under an inch with factory ammo. The mag (.223) seemed hard to load but that could be arthritis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    How do the magazines clip in to the boyds stock?

...SNIP
    The Stock comes with a D shaped plastic washer/bushing (reinforced zytel I assume?), that goes on the stock mount screw (just behind the magwell) and has a lip/ledge that the magazine "clips" into. While that may sound a bit hap-hazard compared to traditional rifle, My magazine clips in tight, no slopiness, no side to side, no front to back movement at all. Feeds cast boolit ammo as it should.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The Stock comes with a D shaped plastic washer/bushing (reinforced zytel I assume?), that goes on the stock mount screw (just behind the magwell) and has a lip/ledge that the magazine "clips" into. While that may sound a bit hap-hazard compared to traditional rifle, My magazine clips in tight, no slopiness, no side to side, no front to back movement at all. Feeds cast boolit ammo as it should.
    That piece seems really cheap IMO. But I was surprised how well it held the magazine on my RAP. Removing the magazines is a chore so that piece seems to be doing its job. Would be nice if the part was metal but they've been cutting costs. There's a bunch of YouTube videos about how the Axis stocks have changed over the years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast