Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage Axis $240 Yea or Nay?

Boolit Master
    we have a few savages and all their triggers responded well to some work and are perfect for hunting. Not bench rest quality but better than enough for good crisp hunting trigger!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Here is a youtube on replacing the trigger spring. This guy used the spring from a mechanical pencil but it looks like the ball point spring I used. Look over on the right side and there are many other suggestion for trigger fixes on the Axis, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZIVoZPlBNI

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Moderator Emeritus

Sale price ($99) on Boyds stock (for short action)

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    ok, then. I read the few threads here on the Axis but they were not recent. Online different forums ranged as usual from "great gun for the money" to " total junk". The trigger job seemed easy and amounted to cutting off a coil. Much agreement on replacing the stock and Boyds seems the most popular choice. I've used a couple of boyds before and they were drop in.

I was thinking 30-06 for me and 243 for the wife for Christmas although I am wavering on the 30-06 as I have a 35 Whelen already.
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Have one in .223 for a "Jeep Gun". Over time, you will want to replace the stock with something like a Boyds' (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAS...pe=04&Finish=1) , the factory stock is not stiff and you can hold one end in each hand and twist/flex - the give is apparent when doing this.

I would also do a Trigger Job on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytBGdJSjWA (multiple other You Tube videos on Savage Axis Trigger Jobs.

Yes; I would recommend them for a "Beater" truck gun. Relatively inexpensive, accurate, and tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by wistlepig1 View Post
    Go for it. I have one in 223. Before I shot it I put a thumb hole Boyd stock on it and replaced the trigger spring as suggested on a web site. The spring they suggested a ball point pen spring----- worked great!

Yotes and P dogs here in Colorado vote NO!
    I've been following this thread, as I recently bought the "plain" Axis in 243win. After it was mentioned about the stock being too flexible, I started doing more searching and researching. there is some info where people reinforced and filled the inner stock cavities...looks like a lot of work...and you still have a plastic stock. I looked at other stock makers and definitely, the best deal was Boyds, but still, I wasn't happy with the thought of putting a $144 Boyds stock on a $219 Rifle. So the last thing I tried, was sending an email to Boyds Sales dept asking if they had any "Blem" stocks on clearance for the Savage Axis stort action(Because searching through their website "closeout" section was a slow endless nightmare).

Anyway, they responded this morning:
    Hello,
    Right now this particular stock that I have included in the link is on sale for $99. This is a limited time sale and will end on the 30th and while quantities last.
    https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Produ...inate-finished

Thank You,
    Shauna
    Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks
    25376 403rd Ave
    Mitchell SD, 57301
    (605)996-5011
    www.Boydsgunstocks.com
    So I ordered one...the email says limited supply, take that for what you will.
    FYI, shipping to MN was $18
    https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Produ...inate-finished
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

JonB, I added a Boyd to my Axis 223 and can not be happier, hope you are as pleased as I am. Merry Xmas and good shoot'in

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

Boolit Master

I've got that thumbhole stock on my Edge in 30-06, you will not be disappointed.

Banned
    my oldest boy has a axis in 243 win. i load for it and i shot 3/4" at 100 yards using a 100gr hornady round nose with imr4831 and a 75gr amax with the same powder 1/2" at 100 yards. i'd say go for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Another fix for the trigger is to just replace it with a factory Accutrigger. They can be found for $25 or so. Bolt right in. Or pin in if you are being accurate in the description. Savageshooters.com goes into detail on this conversion. I have 2 of the rifles. One got the accutrigger and one benefitted from a raid on the spring drawer at work.

Boolit Master
    I personally think this trigger thing (about savages) is blown way out of proportion. The chat gets going of somebody wanting the most for his dollars(that are very limited) and right away the "talk" gets to replacing trigger. What ever happened to working with what you have and learning to shoot it? All savages I shot at least broke clean and crisp, maybe not as light as I would prefer but whole lot better than guns from yesterday.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Yep, mine broke nice and clean "As Issued" from the factory.

Trouble was I thought I was going to have to have a crow bar to lever it to shoot. I do not have a "Trigger Pull Gauge", but it was 15 lbs trigger pull at least. The effort to lighten the trigger by incrementally clipping a touch off the spring until it had the pull I wanted/needed was to easy to take an option of "Learn How to Shoot it As it Was".
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Both of the triggers are a little heavy but break with a clean "click". I think that with a little shooting the average person should be able to master them well enough. It seems to me that everyone needs to be a hardcore sniper now-a-days. Standard triggers out of the box will work well enough for hunting. If you want to shoot competition 1,000yrd matches or haunt the tacticool forums where everyone was a SEAL sniper then more power to you. You are not buying the Savage Axis in the first place
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I wandered into Walmart two years ago and saw a Rem. 770 with factory scope in 308 for that price and couldn't pass it up even though I couldn't think of why I needed it. That rifle became a serious tack driver with CB's in short order even though the factory scope was garbage and I have been using scrounged brass.

Boolit Bub
    I kick myself for missing out on the deal with the rebate...have to wait a while until Savage does it again...

Moderator Emeritus

I got a shipping notice email from Boyds (ref post #23). should be here in a few days
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Just for FYI when they mention the thing about inexpensive rifles I had a Savage 110 in 243 a few years. It had a whitewood stained stock and not so good of a trigger pull. Back then they kind of slammed them except many that had them liked them. It was not super accurate with 100 grain bullets but we are talking about maybe slighly over 1". With 75 grain it was a literal tack driver.
    Just for kicks where does one get the triggers should I want to get a left hand Axis??

DEP

Moderator Emeritus

The Boyds stock has been sitting in my gun room for a few days. A fellow member gives me a call this evening and tells me the Boyds stock he got didn't fit his Cabela's "sale priced" plain Axis, which should be identical to mine ...and asked me if mine fit. Well I hadn't tried it yet, and since it worried me a bit, I figured I better give it a go. I have never bought and "fit" a brand New aftermarket wood stock for a rifle before. Here's how it went.

==============

The first attempt to mate them, seemed like a NO-GO. The interference seemed to be at the steel "block" in front of the trigger (where the rear screw mount is) and the slot it fits into, in the stock. The block measures about .710 and the slot cut in the stock measures about .690 and also there is a black plastic piece there, that seemed to obstruct the space even more.
    BUT...I played with it, trying to work the action in from the rear...then try to work it in from the front...then it "snapped" in nice and snug. Yippee, it seemed to fit.

But, when I tried to install the screws, the front screw seemed too short and wouldn't catch any thread. I removed the stock and then, just for the hey, I tried to put it back on...again with a snap, but noticed that it went on much easier then the first attempt.

Again, I pulled it off, to look at the hole for the front screw. There was a plastic insert there, it was loose, I removed it, and looked for any burrs or obstruction in the hole, then pressed the insert back into the stock, and just to go the extra mile, I then "seated" that insert with a couple light taps of a small hammer. I also noticed a steel insert in the stock (recoil lug?) and seen a slot in the action, next to the barrel nut, that needs to mate with that steel recoil lug.

So when I tried to reinstall the stock to the action again, I paid extra close attention to that slot and steel recoil lug. (I suspect they weren't mated tight and that is why the front screw seemed too short)
    ....AND THEN...she went together like a German watch. I'm very happy with it. The bolt cycles as it should, no obstructions. The bolt release lever works great, bolt goes in and out of action just fine. The magazine goes in and comes out as it should.

Attachment 207297

Attachment 207298

This brown spot, near the trigger, was the only blem I could find on this stock.
    Attachment 207299

=================

Next up, is to replace the trigger spring with one from a ball point pen (or mod the existing spring, by cutting it). And also to install the scope rail and scope...I was told to expect the weaver supplied scope rail screws to be too long for one of the holes...ie: it will contact/obstruct the bolt
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 11-06-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added photos
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Buddy
    My married son has a Savage 110 he bought around 6 years ago to hunt deer. This week he asked me to take the rifle to range I'm a member to check the zero on its scope. I did and made some minor adjustments of the turrets. To me the trigger of his rifle must have been at least an 8 lb pull. Got home with rifle, took action out of its stock and proceeded to work on the trigger.....which has the straight trigger spring on side of trigger assembly. Will thin it out in its middle with my belt sander removing about 25% of its thickness. Didn't allow the spring to get hot while sanding on it. Adjusted the screw the spring fits in to reduce tension on spring and then with a Arkansas hard stone that my dad used a darn long time ago to sharpen his straight edge razor, did some minor polishing on the trigger sear. When done, I had the trigger pull to under 3 lbs.

Moderator Emeritus

Huffmanite, great story.

Yesterday on my plain Axis, I installed 3/4ths of the spring from the ball point pen and used a diamond eraser on the trigger and sear, then re-applied "gunslick" to those mating parts. Yeah, big improvement. I'd guess the previous trigger pull was 6 to 8 lbs and is now about 3 or 4 lbs...still much more than my CZ or my Ruger #3...But I am happy.

And as warned, I needed to shorten one of the scope rail screws. Also, the large Vortex 3x9 scope I wanted to install with med. height Burris Sig. rings, Required the cutting of the front first slot off the rail, for the scopes objective to clear it. It was then bore sighted.

I spent part of today, loading 50 rds to break in the barrel and get a feel of her at the range...maybe next week, if I don't get called back to work.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Huffmanite, great story.

Yesterday on my plain Axis, I installed 3/4ths of the spring from the ball point pen and used a diamond eraser on the trigger and sear, then re-applied "gunslick" to those mating parts. Yeah, big improvement. I'd guess the previous trigger pull was 6 to 8 lbs and is now about 3 or 4 lbs...still much more than my CZ or my Ruger #3...But I am happy.

And as warned, I needed to shorten one of the scope rail screws. Also, the large Vortex 3x9 scope I wanted to install with med. height Burris Sig. rings, Required the cutting of the front first slot off the rail, for the scopes objective to clear it. It was then bore sighted.

I spent part of today, loading 50 rds to break in the barrel and get a feel of her at the range...maybe next week, if I don't get called back to work.
    JonB, about 1year ago I did the ballpoint spring and Boyds thumbhole stock things to a 223. It worked out real good for a cheap rifle but the Yote here in eastern Colorado don't care much for the Axis.
    gun and I have about 1000 rounds thru it now.
    Huff, I had the same problem with the plastic piece.
    Last edited by wistlepig1; 01-23-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: ADD

Boolit Bub
    Anyone have opinions on the heavy barrel versions of the Axis? Thinking about picking one up in 308.

Boolit Man
    I have an Axis HB in 308 on a Boyd's stock. Replaced the factory trigger with an accutrigger. Shoots great. Likes cast boolits as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast