MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Savage Axis $240 Yea or Nay?

Boolit Master
    Sorry to run across this thread a little late, but my brother in law has had a couple of these rifles, and both had to go back to Savage. These were guns bought early in 2016. One was in .243, and the other a .270 if I recall. The .243 could not shoot a decent group no matter what was tried, ammo, scope etc. So it was sent back to Savage, it turns out, about halfway down the barrel, there was a gap of no rifling, about an inch or two in length, and then it was rifled again. It was like the reamer skipped and missed that section and then kept going.

With the .270 I believe he never got that one corrected, I am not sure if he still owns it or what he did, but I know it would not shoot very well or consistently with a variety of loads.

He now either hunts with a Browning .243 or his Mossberg Patriot in .300 Win Mag. He won't buy another Savage Axis. Never owned one myself, but I have had a Ruger American and they seem like a very good gun for the money.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Interesting, I've seen plenty at the range and no one seems to complain about them. They are ugly critters though. My Ruger American is brilliant I'll stick with that if I need to buy any more rifles.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Thirty minutes ago, I finished a "trigger job" on the Axis my neighbor bought as a truck gun and for his daughter to use deer hunting. I replaced the spring but that is one miserable junk trigger. There is no excuse for it. Arisaka rifles have better triggers. That is a shame as the action is about as smooth as anything I have ever handled.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Sighted one of these in for a guy the other day, his factory ammo and had 3 fail to eject the empty. Trigger pull from hell. Would not buy one.
    On the other hand, I have a savage 10 fp in .308 that is an excellent rifle.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Now if Savage would come out with a ten or fifteen round magazine for the .223 for those of us that play at the range .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I tried one from a fella doing that a couple years ago . The magazine worked fine with one style of case bullet and not another of the molds I had . It would feed jacketed just fine but that's not what I use that rifle for .

He was very good about it , he took the magazine back and refunded my money without a problem .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Saw a few on sale. 308/243/22-250. With the rebate they come out at $240.

For a knock around brush gun is this a yea or nay deal?

Anyone try lead in them?
    My Friends son picked one up.
    For under $300 he's putting 5 rounds of soft points under 2.5" groups with regularity. Has one of the Leopold 3x9 smaller scopes with simply cross hairs.
    He's taken a few deer so far with the longest shot a touch over 130 yards.
    What's not to like.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    If a rifle had a flimsy looking magazine, I'd buy a few spares. I have two for my Patriot Walnut (although I don't forsee a problem with their plastic mags, they are pretty stout and I have bought quality metal Aussie made mags for my Ruger American and Tikka T3. The Axis Edge rifles perform well enough, but I ain't that poor that I'd buy an ugly rifle.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234