Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage Axis $240 Yea or Nay?

Boolit Grand Master

Savage Axis $240 Yea or Nay?

Saw a few on sale. 308/243/22-250. With the rebate they come out at $240.

For a knock around brush gun is this a yea or nay deal?

Anyone try lead in them?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

The newer Axis has the better trigger, but for more $$$$. Only have a 223, shooting jacketed bullets. Trigger around 6 lbs on my early one. Over all, good shooter.

Boolit Bub
    One vote yea. Quality gun for cheap. Do it.

Banned

Sounds like a better than good deal. So I say yes.

Boolit Buddy
    I vote yes. One in each caliber that you want to shoot. They will out shoot a lot of more expensive rifles.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Master

Have one in .223 for a "Jeep Gun". Over time, you will want to replace the stock with something like a Boyds' (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAS...pe=04&Finish=1) , the factory stock is not stiff and you can hold one end in each hand and twist/flex - the give is apparent when doing this.

I would also do a Trigger Job on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytBGdJSjWA (multiple other You Tube videos on Savage Axis Trigger Jobs.

Yes; I would recommend them for a "Beater" truck gun. Relatively inexpensive, accurate, and tough.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'm with Mustang on this one . Mine flexed horrible and groups were bad most of the time . It only grouped well if I didn't put my face against the stock and didn't hold it against the shoulder very tight . Once I got a laminated stock on it it's nature change drastically and became an excellent shooter all the time .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Yea .......
    on all the above calibers
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Master

I bought two of them this year, a 243 for the Grandson and a 7-08 for me, both left handed. I shortened the 243 to Model 7 youth size (18 inch barrel and 1 1/2 inch shorter stock) and cut the 7-08 barrel the same as the 243. After a trigger job you couldn't ask for a better inexpensive rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

ok, then. I read the few threads here on the Axis but they were not recent. Online different forums ranged as usual from "great gun for the money" to " total junk". The trigger job seemed easy and amounted to cutting off a coil. Much agreement on replacing the stock and Boyds seems the most popular choice. I've used a couple of boyds before and they were drop in.

I was thinking 30-06 for me and 243 for the wife for Christmas although I am wavering on the 30-06 as I have a 35 Whelen already.

Banned

I bought two for the grandkids. Both 243s both tack drivers. They could use a different trigger though. Pretty tough for the kids to shot precisely with there heavy creepy pulls. I did the coil cut thing. It helped but its still FAR from a good trigger. But then its safe if nothing else

Boolit Master

Get it. It will out shoot anything else you have. If you don't like it sell it local and you'll get your money back. It's hard to get rid of a gun that shoots.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the replies. I got 2. 308 for me and 243 for the wife. I wanted a different combo like 30-06/25-06 or 308/7-08 but i got what they had in stock. With military discount and rebate they were $250 each.

It's a good price - I'm glad you got them !

It's an aberration that my Son got his .223 Axis for the price ($20) of a game dinner raffle ticket - but it shoots like a house afire, and the grip/stock's comfortable to boot.

We are truly in the golden age of great shooting off the shelf affordable guns.
    I really like the Ruger American rifles. Shot my son in laws predator model last Thanksgiving.
    Winchester FN has come out with a new rifle a little more expensive than Savage or Ruger but just that much more gun so they say. All nice rifles that are fun and get the job done.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post

We are truly in the golden age of great shooting off the shelf affordable guns.

Yep.

45-50 years ago, a truly lightweight (5-1/2-6lbs) factory CF rifle was unobtainium, only partially achieved via shortening/re-contouring the barrel, Swiss-cheesing the bottom metal, hollowing out the stock and using lightweight (Weaver) scope mounts/rings.(unless one was satisfied with a Winchester or Marlin levergun)

For the past several years though, some bareback (no scope) CF rifle makers have been turning out models @ about 6lbs - a good thing, because I've never cared for CF rifles that needed wheels to tote through the woods.

Boolit Master

Timney now makes a replacement trigger system for the Savage Axis (http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/t...t-trigger.aspx)

It only cost 1/2 the price of the rife itself!!
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Go for it. I have one in 223. Before I shot it I put a thumb hole Boyd stock on it and replaced the trigger spring as suggested on a web site. The spring they suggested a ball point pen spring----- worked great!

Yotes and P dogs here in Colorado vote NO!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wistlepig1 View Post
    Go for it. I have one in 223. Before I shot it I put a thumb hole Boyd stock on it and replaced the trigger spring as suggested on a web site. The spring they suggested a ball point pen spring----- worked great!

Yotes and P dogs here in Colorado vote NO!
    Ballpoint pen spring? Which site was that, wistlepig1, so I can read this for myself? Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Ballpoint pen spring? Which site was that, wistlepig1, so I can read this for myself? Thanks
    I did this with my Savage Edge in 30-06 (the Edge name was changed to Axis the year after it was released). Worked great and the trigger is light and crisp. Shoots even better than it did before. I've also added a thumbhole Boyds stock on it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast