The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

How do you sharpen your knife?

Stone
    Sharping kit
    Pocket sharpener

So just how do you sharpen your knife?
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master
    use to sharpen just by using a stone
    now I use a sharpening kit
    the angle is always consistent and
    I use multiple grits of stone (course to fine)
    works slick as snot
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Smith's CCKS 2-Step Knife Sharpener

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-CCKS-2-...nife+sharpener

Boolit Grand Master

Gatco sharpening kit. I'm horrible w/ a stone. Once the blade is at the set angle a touchup takes a few minutes at most.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The only knife I really carry anymore is a Boker "sowbelly" - 3 blade folding. The steel is good and holds a sharp edge. I usually touch the edge up using a buffing wheel and red rouge - renews the edge to where you can easily cut hair on your arm off. I also have a slow turning wet wheel sharpener . . . i believe it a DeWalt that I got at Lowes a few years back. It has a wide slow moving wheel that runs through a water reservoir in the bottom to keep the wheel wet - plus it is reversible as far as rotation. I've used that a couple of times on the Boker and then done a final polish on the blade with the buffing wheel/red rouge.

Boolit Master
    My buddy and I have used Gatco for yrs; it works BUT he recently purchased a Work Sharp knife sharpener. They use sanding belts and he said will not go back to Gatco. This takes less time and he believes places a better edge on them.

Good luck

Boolit Master
    I use a lansky kit with multiple stones to establish the basic edge. Will touch up with a pocket diamond hone or an medium arkansas stone and put the finish on an edge with leather strop and abrasive compound.

Stones and leather with metal polish on it. Gets them scary sharp.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Smith's CCKS 2-Step Knife Sharpener
    I cringe if I see someone using a sharpener like this. They put a massive burr on the edge and take off a lot of metal. If used routinely they will kill a blade in short order.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 12-19-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Boolit Master

I may be branded a heretic, but I have really gotten to like the "work sharp" knife sharpener. It's basically a little belt sander with three different grit belts. Cabelas has them on sale this weekend for $59 I think, normally $79. I originally got it for the wife and her extensive kitchen knife collection but quickly adopted it myself. I can touch up 20 or 30 knives for her in 10-15 minutes, which is a huge time savngs.

As background, I'm capable of putting a great edge on a knife with a stone, but I generally have used one of the types with several grits and a jig to adjust the angle. With the work sharp, one can maintain an edge with 2 or 3 quick swipes and on to the next knife. Puts a light burr on the edge and it's a great edge to work with. I cut up several deer a year maybe a hog or two, and filet a LOT of fish, so my knives have to perform. If the work sharp broke today, I would replace it with another as soon as possible.

Couple other things:

If you wanted a razor edge, you'd want to strop after using the work sharp. I generally just use the medium grit because I like the edge it produces better.

If you have a severely abused knife, the coarse grit belt and this machine is the quickest way I've found to rejuvenate it while maintaining an accurate bevel for the edge. I fixed one friend's knives that was sharpened at something like a 50 degree angle and now it slices up deer no problem.

Yes I am a work sharp fanboy, but I don't care.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

India and hard Arkansas stones, all I have ever used.

Boolit Master

I was taught to sharpen a knife properly by a butcher friend.
    I use 3 different stones, coarse to very fine, and finish the edge with a very fine steel.
    You can refresh the edge with the steel between sharpening's with the steel.
    I am not as good at it as my buddy was, but I can get a good edge on them....dale

Med DMT Stone with water followed by a steel to debur

Banned

I learned on the Arkansas stones and pretty much sucked at it.
    I long ago bought the Lansky and learned to use it, I just bought a new one a couple of weeks ago.
    I also have a powered sharpener [spinning buffing wheel] and use it to put the final edge on some of my knives.
    I have over the years found that all knives do not want the same angle or edge on them to work efficiently for their intended use.
    for rougher use and tough cutting items a 25* angle is better than a 20* angle which most of the powered units use as they are set for kitchen knives that cut veggies and meat.

I don't try to shave with them but check their sharpness by touching the blade to my thumbnail if it instantly grabs and digs in a little it's plenty sharp.
    if it drags and scrapes you need to work on it.

Boolit Master
    been raised among old men and working as a kid in a butcher shop taught me how to sharpen things that will shave your arm hair.I use some stones and kero and a leather strope. In recent years I started thinking I was losing my touch on new knives the kids would bring home and finally realised its the metal. Alot of good metal nowadays but you must pay for it. The Swiss Army pocket knife never ceases to amaze me to the quality of good metal in them.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

I use stones if needed followed buy a piece of gopper with fine diamond and then a leather strop. dge is razor sharp and holds a long time, when dull a few passes on the copper block then the strop is all thats normally needed.

Boolit Buddy
    At work I need a sharp, durable, rough edge. My work knife gets touched up every day or so on a cresent wrench handle. It is amazing how quick it is and how sharp it is. I cut a lot of poly rope and the edge that method delivers is perfect. Good knives get the Lansky diamond hone kit. Kitchen knives, I use a steel.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    The window in my truck
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Buddy
    Edge Pro

I'm A Honcho!
    I was taught by a butcher who I helped for a couple years how to use a stone and a steel. Been doing it that way for 20yrs.
    I just recently got a work sharp as a gift and WOW is all I have to say!
    I could train my cat to sharpen a knife with this it is super easy and when you are done you can shave your arm and the dissect each hair. This is a product of modern invention kinda like the microwave. In the time it takes to do a couple knives with stones you can have a drawer full done with the work sharp.
    Don't be afraid to try it out you will not regret it.

Wasalmonslayer

Ps. I will sell you all my stones if you want them

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast