MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fur Harvest. Hows it going

Boolit Master

Fur Harvest. Hows it going

So most of you guys are into the season full steam ahead. How well has the markets been treating you? Are the animals out there, or few to harvest? Fill us in folks.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

The coon around here have distemper,the market is down on all but coyote.So far for the small line I have out since the start of the season I got 13 beaver,I am done with them now. 2 otter got my limit, 6 coyote,12 coon,5 rats and 1 could not keep because of the mink ate part of it,got the mink that is 1, 1 skunk, 3 possum and one ermin.Sold most of the furs.Still have traps out since the weather is not that bad for me to run them.this past Wens. I had a coyote in a snare and when I seen it before I got to it it took off .It chew through the cable but had other snare ahead and got it.So got it caught 2 times.It is on the board now.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear about the distemper problem there trapper9260. That does put a damper on the coon harvest, anywhere. I have heard the coon are bringing $3-$5 in this area with local buyers. Haven't heard about the coyote market tho. Just wondering, how your otter turned out $$$ wise.

For put up fur coyote I got was about $30 for one and $25 for another and there was one damage and just got enough to past for a gal of gas.but it is something,as for otter.for a large male $30 for each of the 2 i got.coon for 7 I got $50,skunk is $4 and possum is $2 ,rats for 5 it went for $17.50 .Beaver I taken a killing on them they where early caught and that was the only time I can get them for how it is for me they where flat.Still have some more fur that I got after I sold what I had before the snow storm we had.but since it was not bad weather so I went back at it but no more beaver trapping.Mainly coyote and some coon and a mink .It is slow with the shotgun deer hunting that been going on. If the weather look like will change for the worst I will just pull up again and call it for the season.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the price update trappe9260. Be careful out there.

The guy that I got trapping my place is doing pretty good on the coyote and fox. The day after he set the traps on my place he got a nice fox. He only set out 7 traps but plans on putting more out. He is now pointing them out to me so I don't back over any more of them. Hoping that he starts getting the coyotes, needs to get rid of them since there are way too many of them out in the swamp.

I probably shouldn't have tagged along with him. Now I want to get into trapping. Guess it is time to buy some books.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

South if you like to get to know more about trapping Not only get some books you can also like go on trapperman and it is full of information and also there are alot would help with what ever problems you might have or things to ask.Also if there is anything I can reply for you just PM and I see what help I can give you.

Quote Originally Posted by 472x1B/A View Post
    Thanks for the price update trappe9260. Be careful out there.
    No problem.I still have a few that I got in the celler now, that I will sell later on when I am done trapping .I have them all on boards.Got a almost black possum yesterday.

Got 2 coyote today.They must be start to go back to there normal run after this shotgun season is now done.

Boolit Buddy
    I caught coyote number 17 this morning. Sold some last week for $26 average. Only 3 beaver though.

Eric

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericp View Post
    I caught coyote number 17 this morning. Sold some last week for $26 average. Only 3 beaver though.

Eric
    ericp were the ones you sold male or female? And do you cut out the ear cartilage be for putting then on the stretchers? After I learned to do this little trick I couldn't believe how much more $$$ they paid at the auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by ericp View Post

Eric
    You doing well on coyote.I got so far 8.It is not a big line for me.You doing good on the price how many did you sold at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by 472x1B/A View Post
    ericp were the ones you sold male or female? And do you cut out the ear cartilage be for putting then on the stretchers? After I learned to do this little trick I couldn't believe how much more $$$ they paid at the auctions.
    I keep the cartilage in my unless i mess it up too bad then ,I remove. At auction when I sold them I was getting top lot for them,that is with the cartilage in them.I have done some taxidermy in the past and need to skin out the ears . But now I just go to a fur buyer he was given more for the fur then the auction.As for the ones I sold they where 1 male and 2 female ,the male was high price one.
    Last edited by trapper9260; 12-23-2015 at 05:48 AM.

Pulled up yesterday, because of the bad weather coming in.I am as of now done for the season.Just need to dry my furs and then sell them.

Boolit Master

Good for you trapper. Hope your buyer is in a good mood when you show up to sell, and you make a ton of cash for all of your hard work.

Trapper, thanks, I will do some research and see if I can get things ready for next season. Congrats on your catches and good luck with your prices.

The guy trapping my place got a coyote, coon and a opossum this past weds. My boy wandered out in time to see the dog after it was taught some manners. He went with us to get the coon. Asked him if trapping was something that he might want to get into. He said sure. He will be 9 in a few months.

I will call the guy tonight and see if he got out to set the cables in the high grass today and if he got anything. He was gonna set them yesterday but got suck at one of his other places. He has a 150' cable on the front of his truck and still needed to walk to get a chain (no cell service).

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

I use a polaris ranger des. I was able to get in and out of the fields.You can tell it is muddy but I do not have to walk it like I use to do years ago and I am in the shape and all like I was years ago.I use to drive my pick up in the field and I got stuck in the field also and have the farmer pull me out.It was not something I had look forward to.It got old fast.It was also in 4 wheel drive.
    My buyer he treats me good.He treat me fair also.That is all I ask of him is be fair about it all.He also explain why the price on a fur is.for how prime and also what is damage .Also I know how the market is.Too many go by the trapper mags and they do not known that the price on there is only for the high price perfect furs and you know how that is.Also some part of the country have better furs then other.Depend on what animal it is.Here in the area I am in is know for the coon and then you have out west they are know for the color of there coyotes and so on.But also depend on the way the fur is handle and what you get.You can only do so much for what you have.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Here in the area I am in is know for the coon and then you have out west they are know for the color of there coyotes and so on.
    I learned that an area from the center of Indiana south to the tip of Indiana then west as far as eastern Kansas/western Iowa then north to the lower half of South Dakota then going back east to northern Indiana is suppose to be the best coon fur area in the world.

You right ,You might know of the other fur is best for since you where in it like you where.

Got the what ever fur I have sold and out of the 5 coyote ,the top one went for $50,then 2 for 25 and then 1 for 20 and one for 5.mink the male went for 10 and ermine for 3.there is others but that is the run down of some of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast