WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fur Harvest. Hows it going

Boolit Master

Gee-mon-nee Christmas, $50.00? I think I was only lucky enough to get that much once, the whole time I ever did those stinking things. And I did 100's of them, course I got a top lot certificate from North American for that one too.

Well good on you trapper. That's a good pay off for 5 yotes. IIRC back in 96' or 97' the wife an I took a car load of hides up to NAFA in Wis.. When we arrived one of the workers helped us unload the car at the dock. He told us to come on in to the grading room and started to open up the shipping bags. After everything was gone through he turned to us and said 'walk around and check things out, I'll be back in a few minutes.'. We could not believe how many different colors of coon hide fur there could be. From pure white to jet black and every shade in between. About 5 minutes later the guy found us and he had a check for $3000.00. ( We had 9 bags full.) I looked at it and asked him what this was for. He said that anybody that brings fur in themselves gets paid in advance. So I said how do you know they will bring this much. Answer was, we now know who you are and that you know what your doing. Don't worry about it. Sure enough, at the next auction I got another check for $119.00 more and everything sold. We was happy campers for a while. Be safe for next season trapper.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

That is a good story about what they did at NAFA.I use to ship to them and I also had got top lot for some of my coyote and also my mink,and some of my coon.As for what I got for that one coyote, I did not notice for how it was till it was sitting on his table and he was grade them.I was shock when he told me for how much it went for.That is the highest I ever got for a coyote.wish I had more like that but you know how that gose.I did good this year compare to last year. I was cut short last year because of the early freeze and I quite.The ice was getting my hip.The guy told me he wants all the fur I come up with.He will buy it all.Because of how I handle it all.That ermine was the first one i finally got and was inpress to get the $3 for it. Also I know for the coyotes that the higher price ones is out west and that one I got the 50 for was close to those.Want to wish you a Happy New Years and hope the best for the next year.Thank you
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I try to leave the cartilage in, and sold 14 at one go. Gotten another 6 since then. Don't remember specifics but I think 9 were females in the first lot?

Eric

Where they young females? because the ones i got was young.2 of the males I got where older .You are doing good on them.What are you catchen them on, foot holds or snares?

Boolit Buddy
    Yup, most were young animals. I only use footholds, while Michigan allows snares it is about as restricted as it can be while not banning them outright. We've had an odd winter up here, didn't have a meaningful snow until Christmas. Even now we only have about 8-10" on the level. Very mild year. I'm happy I'm connecting, hopefully it will help out our depleted deer herd. What are you catching your canines in?

Eric

I use footholds and snares.but when we had that first snow storm ,we had about 9",I had pull up every thing and was usen footholds and snares but after, when I set again when the snow went for the time I did use snares only on them.I have not traps out now for how it is now for me with the cold.Sorry to hear about what the laws there on snares.here in Iowa we need to have deer stops and also when we are not with in 30 yards of any water way, we can only have a loop of 8" across.But that is no problem.I still get them.I use 10" when I go after beaver.When I had went to NTA con. years ago ,I had talk to a guy that is from the UP and he told me how to snare beaver under the ice usen snares.He at the time work for a lumber company.Before I had broke my hip I use do a job on the coyotes and the red fox started to show up.but now You are lucky you see one once in awhile.As for our deer,DNR had some crazy seasons that did a job on them and now they are starting to make a come back when they cut back on the way it was.

Boolit Master

I feel for you guys. With all the different state laws now, it is really hard to keep up and within the law. Some of the Ill. deer/trapping/hunting laws are so confusing a lot of guys don't even hunt much of anything but deer. I can't remember the last time I've seen a live fox. 40 -50 years ago one would see a dozen or so in a weeks time. Not now tho.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

It was worst in the state I move from back in 95. That was in the state of MA.And that state got worst after I left. You could only at the time trap in water only.no matter what.Foot holds set in water and conibear complete under water only. Here in IA was a big up grade for me after for how much it was easyer to trap.There was more water there to fish but for how I read the laws in MA it has change alot also.Beside the hunting you lucky there is any place out there you can hunt any more.mainly where I was brought up the last time I was out there in 2014 it was all build up in the same area and one big mess.I could not wait till I got be here where I am now in IA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12