Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Mihec H&G #503 Cramer HP and 6 cavity solid Bullet Machine

Boolit Master

Mihec H&G #503 Cramer HP and 6 cavity solid Bullet Machine

I ran through 50 lbs in no time. The 6 cavity Aluminum mold seems to like a little hotter alloy than the brass. I wound up at 700F. The hole spacing threw me off at first, easy to splash some alloy into the next cavity. Took a little practice then it's like bullet casting overdrive. Nobody else posted so here's a pic what hasn't been sized yet. I need to blend 200 lbs of alloy and take it out for a real spin. Thanks Zeus, Miha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alum503.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Since you had all the FUN of making them!!!! Send them to and I will do the hard work of disposing of them.

Boolit Master

And, thank you, Mal, for identifying the need and getting the 6 cavity solids done. We've done the same thing on the 358429 run. I will ask for this option on any future runs that interest me.

Boolit Master
    Cool! I have asked for Aluminum before and got another brass one. Not complaining, don't want to distract the master, but I have 5 brass #503s running from well used through hollow point to new in box. I think it's the best 260g 44 boolit and that's all I cast, load, and shoot. #2 is Miha's 432640 also 260G with the large pin.

I think this is The Mold though. Get the timing and temperature just right and all 6 Boolits wind up on the cutter side and 1 tap on the hinge pin drops them. Very Cool!

I weighed 30 at random. 29 were within 1 grain of 263g with one fat boy at 265.8. Feels consistent in the sizer too. I don't think quality suffers at all from being a large mold.
    Mal

Have yet to get into production with mine just yet. Need to clean up the pins, I have bad burrs around all the pins on the last 2 Mihec molds I've received from him and have not had ample time to clean them up and heat up the pot. Hopefully this weekend I'll get through those issues and cast up a bunch of these as well as the .45 mold I got from him. Now that work is slowing down I can breathe again and try and catch up on casting. Usually by this time of the year I like to be done with my casting and start loading but I've fallen behind with the move and new job.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

I took several months off back in the summer and may have missed something......

Did you say that you had an ALUMINUM mold from MiHec?

I thought he only did brass.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    I took several months off back in the summer and may have missed something......

Did you say that you had an ALUMINUM mold from MiHec?

I thought he only did brass.
    Seems he was convinced to start doing them in alum....not sure why exactly?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...8429-Keith-SWC
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    Seems he was convinced to start doing them in alum....not sure why exactly?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...8429-Keith-SWC
    Interesting.

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

My very first MIHEC mould was a 6 cavity aluminum in this very boolit when the first group buy was run by Dale53. I thought MIHEC always did aluminum though his brass moulds are certainly popular and I have 3 or 4 or those too.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Problems with the Aluminum Molds

One of the molds I received has the alignment pins off by .002". In addition the sprue plate on that mold would not fully close. I contacted Miha who asked for my email and that was the last I heard a month ago.

I also found on each of the 2 molds I bought, alignment was taking place on one set of pins, the other set was not close to touching. In the past I have been able to adjust the depth of the pins with careful use of a hammer and punch. These pins were way too tight for that and I used an arbor press to adjust them. It gives me confidence the pins won't move during use but I still don't have a solution for the one off by .002". I don't know if there were assembly problems, just reporting what I found.

One of the molds aligns to within .0005" and I will keep going with that. Out of 8 molds this is the first quality issue I've had, so I waited for the manufacturer to respond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails amold1.jpg   amold2.jpg   amold3.jpg  
    Mal

Boolit Master
    I got a PM from Miha overnight.

If anyone else has alignment pins not properly set, it shouldn't be up to you, I just wanted the tool. I found the pins too tight to adjust with a punch. I bought a cheap ($55) 1 ton Arbor Press I needed anyway. A combination of steady pressure and a tap on the shaft end with a hammer got the fine adjustment I needed (Make Sure The Support Surface is Flat And All Screws Removed Or You Could Bend The Mold). I adjusted the pins for a light pull on a strip of .001" paper on each side. One set of pins of each of my molds was at that setting (opposite ends) so maybe someone got interrupted??

Anyone having alignment problems make sure it isn't the force closing the sprue plate pushing the mold blocks out of alignment as that can happen too. Like I said, this was my first problem with a MP Mold ever.
    Mal