WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What am I missing out on? Not sure I get the PC thing??

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    If you read this sticky........
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...powder-coating
    ...... you should be able to do it, at least functionally, by around page 4 or so.

This is the gear I used in that thread, but you don't have to have a PID.
    Harbor Freight powder is the cheapest way to get started, but Smoke4320's powders coat much better and easier.

The problem with writing a "How to" manual is that everybody's technique is a little different.... there is no one way to do it and make it work for everybody all of the time.
    Jump in, get started, and then you'll have informed questions to ask and others will help you work out your problems and develop your individual technique that makes shootable boolits for you in a reliable manner.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    'Fixed that for ya.
    If you wanna start up a conversation with any girl.... whip out some pink boolits and you're talkin'!!
    If you already have a girl in your life (wife, daughter, mom or whatever).... some pink boolits makes a nice gift for her gun!

I loaded up these for Mom's peacemaker.

And here's some I just coated for a friend's .44 special wheelgun.
    Also good against werewolves (silver underneath) and other two legged reprobates!!!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

In Remembrance
    Thanks Beagle333.... I read to page 4 and have a basic understanding of it, some of the "DETAILS" like the #5 thing for the plastic bowl and the black Airsoft BB's which I assume are the 6mm ones.

I wonder if anyone has "Cooked" them in a gas oven, I noticed in all the pictures so far folks use those little ovens. Living on solar is OK once you get used to it but having to use power for those cuts into that time frame of when I can use it.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    I feel your pain....

I just spent the last 30 minutes reading just a few stickys and I think I need to take notes or something. What would really help would be if someone did some sort of tutorial, in depth, detailed, amount of time, process(es) type of equipment etc....

There was 1 thread with 101 pages and after 3 pages of going back and forth I don't think I'm any further ahead than I was when I started.

Join the "Brotherhood of the Colored Boolit" community group.......on here!

banger

I have been reading about powder coating for the last year or so. Finally got all my ducks in a row last week. going to try to cast and coat my first ones this week end.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I wonder if anyone has "Cooked" them in a gas oven, I noticed in all the pictures so far folks use those little ovens. Living on solar is OK once you get used to it but having to use power for those cuts into that time frame of when I can use it.
    I really have no idea of that. That would be a good question to start a new thread with. I do know that you don't want to do it in your cooking oven. The outgassing does smell and will also discolor the inside of your oven. And you don't want the next pan of biscuits to smell like somebody's burning Grandpa's old polyester slacks. I also have no idea how flammable the outgassing might be........ all things to consider and ask in a new thread on it. Maybe it'll work great! I doubt the boolits will know how they got to 400° as long as you can regulate it there.

6mm is correct on the BB size. Smoke4320 sells those too. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ghlight=powder
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    Well for one the type of lead used doesn't matter any more. Two gas checks don't matter any more. Want to blast away with your ought six at jacketed speeds, but only have pure lead? Cast em, coat em, blast em.
    You give advise that this can be done but then:

I have been reading about powder coating for the last year or so. Finally got all my ducks in a row last week. going to try to cast and coat my first ones this week end.
    Making your statements and yet you don't have a leg to even stand on as you have not even done it yet.

My book says 200 grain at roughly 2300 starting for jacketed...

Define most and back it up with tangible data.

Just because your idea of having fun is shooting a gazillion fps round 800 miles at a fruit fly doesn't mean everyone else does. "Most" of the people I associate with shoot for fun (myself included) be it at a target a few hundred yards away or cans/fruit at 50.

I have powder coated boolits for both handgun and rifle. I would love to see a person push even 2300 fps with a pure lead boolit powder coated and a plain base to boot from a 30 caliber rifle with a 1-10" twist rate barrel. By the way around 70% of jacketed load data ranging from 110 grain to 220 grain bullets in 30-06 is in the 2600-2800 fps. Apparently whatever accuracy you are talking about it must be different than mine. You have zero evidence that what you stated can be done but yet you are certain it can be.

I have no problems with people who powder coat, I actually do it some. I don't understand individuals who make claims and have never done it; this is how things become misinterpreted and others misinformed.

Thanks Beagle333.... I read to page 4 and have a basic understanding of it, some of the "DETAILS" like the #5 thing for the plastic bowl and the black Airsoft BB's which I assume are the 6mm ones.

400deg oven is a 400deg oven, gas should work fine. The #5 plastic is just food grade container. I use the screw on lid ziplock versions, helps prevent an accidental spill of powder during the shaking.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    I think Beagle was just expressing a concern about the flammability of the outgassing of the PC In a gas-fired oven. I have no idea if the fumes are flammable or not. Only inquiring minds will find out!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will stick with electric, thank you.

I know the powder, as any fine powder, when diluted in air, and at a LEL concentration and higher, could explode when exposed to a source of ignition. Just ask some of those grain elevator owners in the midwest. Fumes.........your guess is as good as mine. One could check out the MSDS sheets.

Grumpa lives up there in the wilds of the state and does have concerns about electric usage.

banger

his is how things become misinterpreted and others misinformed.
    My last word. I spent 16 years of my life in school learning from books. If there are guys on forums saying they are push in PB up to 2500 before experiencing leading, I tend to believe them. Every guy, every rifle? No, but enough have had similar results that i tend to believe them.

Boolit Master

Guess it's time for another "I don't get it and I've hardly if any read posts on this subject but it makes no sense to me and seems too difficult" type threads.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Master

Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    Listen to Beagle333 and Bangerjim they nailed it. You need to determine your needs and what is important to you.

Nothing is faster than a Star with traditional lubes. But productivity is not the most important factor for most people. Each method has its advantages and only you can make the right decision for you. In fact, you may use different methods for different needs. The time and effort needed to produce a couple of handfuls of hunting or self defense bullets a year is not important, but if you are using 400 rounds a week in one caliber, time may be a factor.

Love Life
    I feel your pain....

I just spent the last 30 minutes reading just a few stickys and I think I need to take notes or something. What would really help would be if someone did some sort of tutorial, in depth, detailed, amount of time, process(es) type of equipment etc....

There was 1 thread with 101 pages and after 3 pages of going back and forth I don't think I'm any further ahead than I was when I started.
    For BB dry tumble:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...at-Shenanigans

Grandpa's old polyester slacks
    Uh, I still have several in the closet. Oh, I am a GP.
    Grumpa - I think you would really need the convection part, tap into the heat source with a fan & exhaust outside (or flue heat?). Fumes are not flammable but any powder that gets recirculated would be - not explosive - just burns. Way back when PC started, someone did use a gas oven, didn't post results.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance
    Since we're on this Q&A thing there's something else I haven't found an answer for.

How many 230GR 45cal will just 1Lb of PC do?

I'm doing the cost thing here.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Love Life
    At least 4,000 using BBDT

Vendor Sponsor

using a quality powder ..(not harbor freight powder) once you get the technique down 6000-8000
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Who really cares. The powder is so cheap that's an insignificant part of the whole venture. Just do it keep account and then you'll know

Boolit Buddy

Since we're on this Q&A thing there's something else I haven't found an answer for.

How many 230GR 45cal will just 1Lb of PC do?

I'm doing the cost thing here.
    45acp I have done 4000+ with HF red doing 2 coat dry tumble no BB's..
    I would guess maybe 6000 if I wanted to stand each one on it base with one coat..
    $5 for 4000 = cheap...
    Last edited by matrixcs; 12-18-2015 at 03:49 PM.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop