MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: White tail load for 8MM Lee MAXI??????

Boolit Mold

White tail load for 8MM Lee MAXI??????

I have looked through all my manuals, and can't find anything for a 240 gr bullet. I also have tried the search function to no avail. Has anyone used the MAXI version on White tails and can you help me with load data? I have seen threads for the Lee Karabiner mold but not for the MAXI.
    Thanks CZVZ

Boolit Master

8x57, 8mm-06 or 8mm Magnum? What caliber brass are you loading for? What velocity are you trying to achieve?

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

If you have a 8X57 I'm thinking a fullish case of H4831.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    With a boolit that weight Even if you load it with 11 grains Unique It's going right through a deer at 150 yards +
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Mold
    Sorry for the lack of details.......8mm Mauser/8X57, in various flavors, Czec, German, Turk, Yugo. I have no experience with Cast bullet velocitys for deer, but from what I have gathered from this fine forum is 1800 f.p.s seems to be a benchmark velocity for deer loads?????? Maximum range would be 150 yards, but most likely, less than 100.

Thanks
    CZVZ

Boolit Master
    A quick look in Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition shows a bunch of loads in the velocity range you are looking for. A lot of the loads use "regular" rifle powder.

I don't load the 8x57 but load other similar size cartridges. I'm a little surprised there isn't a Loa in the Lyman manual for 2400 or Unique or even Trail Boss.

I used to use Unique only for my high teens cast loads but have started using 2400 and really like it.

I powder coat mine and have found I can shoot a little softer gas checked bullet using powder coating.

Motor

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The first question for me is, can you get the Maximum into the throat on all the rifles you intend to shoot it from, without burying it in the case?

If a Lee is absolutely the only thing you can afford, and the Max doesn't throat up like it should, look at the 325-175.

Ultimately, best idea, buy an NOE .323-180 RF Ranch Dog mold,,,,,,,

Now, to actually address your question, a case full of any of the slowest pull down powders ought to do nicely, and JW's 11.0 of Unique works, s do any of the others suggested, its just that I'm partial to 4759 and WC870.
    Last edited by Hamish; 12-19-2015 at 12:08 AM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I don't have any molds that heavy in 8mm so I can't offer any tried and true recipes. I have however worked some with no or limited data so here is how I would start.
    Id start with one of the standard loads. Either 10 gr of unique or 16 gr of 2400. Work up each one until accuracy goes south. You will notice that unique will start to open up at about the starting place for 2400. When 2400 starts to open up this is a good place to start 4759 or jump up a little to 5744. I suspect reloader7 would be next. Then 4895 and so forth.

With that heavy a boolit cast reasonably hard I would be surprised if one of the 4350s loaded to about the bottom of the boolit didn't just work pretty good.

With the fast twist 1800 fps is a good and realistic goal. With boolits cast no harder than 50-50 I can assure you this will ruin a deers day.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Banned

"Ultimately, best idea, buy an NOE .323-180 RF Ranch Dog mold,,,,,,,"

Yep. This is a good bullet in my .32 Special. I killed a doe with it the other day and the terminal performance was great.

Boolit Master
    Yes NOE Ranch Dog all the way! If you have Alliant 2400 ....16 grains is your friend ( 10 Unique Is pretty good however!)
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    If you have a 8X57 I'm thinking a fullish case of H4831.
    I agree, however with that much H4831 powder, I'd rather load j-words..... (Is that heresy?)

Merry Christmas,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master
    Yes Yes! You are in the realm of J bullets : Cast needs fine fast powders: You are just wasting time with slow powders & fillers when it comes to cast boolit shooting

With hunting loads I need accuracy but also terminal performance.
    So to avoid over-stressing the boolit base I go to a slow powder first, slow enough to be a compressed charge. And a mag primer if need be to get consistent burns because that's walking the fine line on avoiding vertical stringing.
    If I get some leading, not to worry. It's not a bench load.
    I wouldn't do this in my 1888, but the '98? You bet!