RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Please help identify this metal form

Boolit Mold

Please help identify this metal form

Hi All,

I have a 5 gallon bucket full of metal bits. They are much harder then lead, but nowhere near steel. Does anybody have an guess as to the material just from the form? Maybe they are linotype ingots? All of then have holes that go all the way through them.

I dont have any hardness tester at this time.

Thank you,
    Eric O

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-12-16_12-17-17_948.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	155749

Boolit Master
    I am going to say those look like type spacers to me.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

They are the wrong color for lino. Color looks more like spacers but I have never seen them with holes?

Can you melt them in your pot?

Spacers are harder than wheel weights but softer than lino.

They should make very good bullets. I have mixed them 50/50 with pure for softer bullets.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I am sticking with my answer (worked in the printing industry for years). These didn't get remelted all the time and would therefore get oxidized and exposed to a lot of ink.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    Melt a sample and mix some lead with it to see what happens. If it looks good then test for hardness and cut as needed.
    Never mix mystery metals in a pot of good alloy till you do a sample test.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Oddly I've tested some spacer material ... Some came out hard as lino and some harder as well as some softer,I'm guessing that some of the known lino may have been a bit depleted, but those do indeed look like some spacers I have smelted
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

looks just like the spacers I had too.
    I usually get the spacers from our local print shop cause they don't have the ink and junk to deal with.
    I'm done with the spacers since I still have 13-14 pigs of lino kicking around from when I bought 20 of them for 65 cents a pound a few years back [and passed on the other 20 pigs that was available]

Boolit Master

Look exactly like the spacers I got with type pieces from a print shop that closed up.

I have a half bucket of those from a batch of lead from a print shop. I melted a few and had xray gunned. They came in at 24 Sb and 10 Sn. But there were more than one cross sectional shape. Some with the smaller holes and some that were more of a channel shape inside.

Spacer can vary a lot in alloy but I would start with melting some into ingots. See if you can get them tested. If not you will probably get a good indication of what you are dealing with. Alloy melts at lower temps than plain lead. Will be harder, shiny and smooth like butter.

Check out the sticky on hardness testing with a set of art pencils. Won't tell you exact alloy but give you an idea of what hardness you will get mixing it with plain or cow's.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat