WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: star sizer seems to be turned

Boolit Bub

star sizer seems to be turned

My star has gotten turned some how and I have no idea how, why or when, I notice this morning before work something just did not look right. if you look at the breakdown s111 and s112 have moved to the right, it has moved to where s112 is hitting only about a 1/4 if the plunger s124. can anyone tell me how s111 is installed, is it a taper fit, a press fit or what, I see no set screws holding it and do not want to break anything trying to move it back. I really think everything should be lined up and running true in order for everything to work properly. I am not 100 % sure but all the other parts and shafts look to be lined up correctly. The handle moves freely and still sizes boolits ok but it is just not right and I would really like to have it centered up correctly. Thanks for any help or insight you fellows may have.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.

Boolit Bub
    sorry guys I forgot I asked this question almost a year ago and got some answers, been a long summer and I do most of my casting and sizing in the winter months. I must have gotten the sizer straightened out last year and used it and it moved again. I think I am going to finish sizing what I have cast already and send it to magma and let them go through it and repair it the way it should be. I don't want to break it trying to remove and center it up. If anyone has a different idea or if one of you would like to tackle the job let me know, I have nothing against magma but had rather pay a cast boolits member who is capable . Sorry Again and Merry Christmas in a week or so

I think is pressed fit I would send back to Magma do it right

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Bruce. I had planed to make the upgrade that hatch and company have showed us with the air cylinder but in order to make sure all is right I am going to send it to magma and have it gone thru befor I add anything Thanks for the reply

Boolit Bub
    talked to someone at magma this afternoon, he ask 2 question what color is it and does it have a nut at the bottom of the lube tube. answer it is blue and yes it has a nut. He said send it to me and I will fix it. Cant ask for much better than that. gona send it off after the Christmas holidays.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If it is painted blue and has the nut at the base, it's the last model made by Star in San Diego before being purchased by Magma .Magma stopped painting the sizers and added an o-ring, to the die area,did not work out the way they planned.
    If you have the proper wrench and not a pair of pliers, then all you have to do is loosen the nut and re-align the press and the re-tighten the base nut. It's most likely already loose and that is the reason for the misalignment.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Bub
    Wonderful folks at magma. sent the sizer Monday, they got it, fixed it, and its on the way back today. can't ask for better service and nice people to deal with. looking forward to sizing now and not have to worry about something breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by finattic View Post
    Wonderful folks at magma. sent the sizer Monday, they got it, fixed it, and its on the way back today. can't ask for better service and nice people to deal with. looking forward to sizing now and not have to worry about something breaking.
    I struggled with mine for MONTHS with many phone calls, directions, etc. Finally they said pack it up and ship it to us. We will make it work.
    As it turns out, there was a broken part inside that they fixed. Totally new sizer came back.
    Since it got back, I have done some 2000 H&G #51 38, 1000 44 240 from an RCBS mould, and I just got finished doing sizing/lubing on 1500 H&G #331 9mm with another 1500 to go and it works like charm.
    They are nice people to deal with.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.