Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hodgdons BL-C

Boolit Bub

Wink Hodgdons BL-C

Hello, I was just given several boxes of Hodgdons BL-C, what do I have ?/
    I have never heard of this type of powder before . I'd like to try it with my 30-06 , many thanks zorro

Boolit Master

Perhaps you have a very early, surplus version of BL-C Lot 2.

After WW II, B E Hodgdon bought up and sold some 80 tons of ball powder Winchester had made during WW II and had been loaded into .303 ammo, then recovered. Originally he sold it as Western Ball Type C, but after contacts from Winchester he changed the designation to BL Type C.

When the original surplus ran out, he bought bulk WCC 846 without the flash suppressant, and marketed it as BL-C Lot 2.

This is all from an old article by Layne Simpson in an old Handloader magazine.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The Judge is correct. The first version, BLC, was the PERFECT powder speed for the Rem 222 Magnum, using the 55 grain Sierra bullet and Rem BR primer. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Bub

BL-C [Lot #2}

howdy , sorry my error the container is marked BL-C [Lot #2} , so I guess this is not a great powder for my garand ??
    many thanks zorro

Boolit Grand Master
    BL-C 2 is very close to H-335 in burn rate. It's a little on the fast side for 30/06 in full power jacketed loads, but should work fine for cast loads.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Smile

You should be able to load up to milsurp equivalent loads with 150 grain bullets very easily.

Just pulled down my Lyman 46th Edition, that was handy. For 150 grain .30-06, it says to start with 46.0 grains of BL-C(2) for 2770 FPS at 44,600 CUP, and says for max 51.0 gr gives 2932 FPS at 48,000 CUP.

Those loads ought to be fine in a Garand. The problem comes in when you use powders significantly slower than the original ones similar to IMR 4895 and get excessive pressure at the gas port.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master

Yea, I also think it might be a bit fast for the '06. Many years ago I burned a goodly amount of it up in Contenders in 223, 7-30, and 30-30 cartridges. Worked really well with them. Then I started using surplus H-335 and burned up a few 8-pound kegs of it. Then I went to WC-844 and I am using it sparingly as surplus seems to be getting quite expensive. So, that is why I think it might be a bit fast for the '06 as it is more suited, I think, for the cartridges I mentioned. Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Bub

Red face thinking of getting a 303

thank-you gentleman , I have been thinking of getting a 303 , well now I have some powder, many thanks zorro