Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Herters 162

Boolit Mold

Herters 162

I know it's not surplus, but this seemed a good place to ask.
    Anyone have data for Herters 162 shotgun powder?
    I have 9- 1 lb. cans of this, all but 1 are unopened.
    The opened one smells fine, and the powder looks fine, no sign of deterioration, and the metal cans are in good shape with no rust. I don't know if it's better used as fertilizer or not, but I'd like to know more about it before I just sprinkle it on the lawn.
    I believe Herters went out of business in the early '70's, so this powder is at least that old. I'm going to guess late 60's by the age of the other items I got in this estate.
    Mark

Banned

mark there may be some interest in it by collectors. I wouldnt use it for fertilzer.

Boolit Master

I would suspect the powder will turn out to be Swedish, maybe Alcan. Herters got a lot of their stuff from there back in the day when the rate of exchange was significantly more in our favor!

Boolit Buddy
    according to Herters,"Condensed professional loading" book of "reloading Data", (I never throw stuff away just in case sombody needs to know some old shi@), 162 shotgun powder is somewhat slower burning then Herters 160 and can be used with any guage shotshell EXCEPT .410. It is well suited for 1 1/8 12 guage in all climates.

1 1/8 oz shot 29 gr Herters 162, vel 1420
    1 1/4 oz shot, 30 gr herters 162, vel 1360

The powder seems to be ~ equal to Alcan 5. but that's another story.

On Heaven's Range

Gents;

Ben1025, out of Colorado, stopped by here for a visit a few years back and left me some assorted powder....MANY pounds of it.

Among the types represented was four pounds of Herter's #160. After some research, I'm treating it as almost Bullseye-equivalent (no nasty surprises if one errs on the side of caution). I'm using it now as my reduced-load powder in .44 Magnum brass, with the Lee 200 RN cast in a mould given to me by 9.3x62AL. The combo yields around 800 fps, a great plinking load.

Now, if only someone had given me some primers and .44 brass, it would be a REALLY cheap load....
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Mold

Thanks for the replies everyone

Thanks bigdog454, that confirms the load data for shotgun that was handwritten on a piece of paper and taped to the opened can.
    I plan on using it for 38 special loads, at the rate the missus shoots them in her SP101 it might not last more than a couple of years, if that!

I will give it a try and see what the chronograph tells me.
    Mark