Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Meter Air Pistol Online Competition

10 Meter Air Pistol Online Competition

I am starting an online competition for 10 meter air pistol and air rifle. The competition will use any standard Olympic 10 meter target. Examples can be found at http://www.glockfaq.com/targets/olym...air_pistol.pdf. There are two separate targets that can be downloaded and printed one for rifle and one for pistol. Competition will consist of 25 shots fired in succession with no restriction on amount of targets used with a time limit of 60 minutes. Targets are scored as follows. Center ring for air pistol and center dot for air rifle scores 10 points, center ring scores 9 and one point less for each subsequent ring. If a shot lands on the edge of a ring it scores the higher of the two values. All shots will be fired from the standing position with one or two hands. Open sights only open to .177 and .22 caliber air guns of any make and model. This competition will be open to Cast Boolits members and and there families only. Scoring will be on honor system so I will only ask that you submit your score. The prize will be what I call a digital trophy which is a unique computer generated trophy in the form of an image which has been designed solely for this competition and will be given only to the winner after which any copies on my system will be permanently deleted leaving only one in existence. These rules are preliminary and subject to change. Registration instructions as well as final rules will be given on April 20, 2008 after shooters and moderators have been given a chance to post objections or suggestions.
    Last edited by Saint; 04-17-2008 at 04:43 AM.

Sounds good to me.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

The targets come from here.
    http://www.glockfaq.com/targets.htm

This is the rifle target
    http://www.glockfaq.com/targets/olym..._air_rifle.pdf

This is the pistol target
    http://www.glockfaq.com/targets/olym...air_pistol.pdf

Since we are printing these out, How do we calibrate them? What is the diameter of the outer rings?
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by slughammer View Post
    The targets come from here.
    http://www.glockfaq.com/targets.htm

This is the rifle target
    http://www.glockfaq.com/targets/olym..._air_rifle.pdf

This is the pistol target
    http://www.glockfaq.com/targets/olym...air_pistol.pdf

Since we are printing these out, How do we calibrate them? What is the diameter of the outer rings?
    I had not thought of that. With standard printer settings it should be pretty close but i will get the measurements posted tonight. Thanks. Pleases feel free to give me any and all feedback, this is my first time organizing a competition over the internet. Also I think I will skip the registration process and just have everybody submit their scores with their username or relationship to the member, and their gun make and model.
    Last edited by Saint; 04-17-2008 at 06:08 PM.

If you're wanting to use the standard 10 meter targets, it would be these, I believe.

http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/pics/B40.gif

http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/pics/AR5-1.gif
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

I want to try to stick to the printable targets. I like the 10 meter air pistol competition because it can be shot indoors and most people have an airgun kicking around the house. I practice in my apartment with my airguns when I cannot get to the range to shoot my firearms. Any of the printable targets should be accurate as long as the pistol target is 6 1/8 inches (15.5 cm) in diameter and 1 3/4 inches (4.55cm) for the rifle target. If anybody wants to purchase commercial targets thats fine too as this will be scored on the honor system anyway. I will be posting the final rules saturday at 12:00 am so please keep the suggestions coming. Also I would like some suggestions on how long the competition should last. I am thinking one week right now but if anybody thinks they need more time to get their session in I would be happy to hold it open longer. On a side not if anybody wants to set up to do this in there house it is really easy. 10 meters is 32.808 feet measured from the end of the muzzle to the face of the target. The bullseye should be more or less eye level. Traps are very easy to make. all that is necessary is about 5 cardboard boxes. Cut 4 of the boxes into sheets sized to fit the width of the one remaining box and fill it with as many of those sheets as possible. If there are any remaining sheets just stuff them in the box as well. I have used this kind of a trap for years to stop pellets at velocities of up to 1000 fps. It is still important to use a heavy blanket as a backdrop in case anything misses the trap or goes through it completely.
    Last edited by Saint; 04-18-2008 at 02:43 AM.

The links that I posted have the size of the black listed. I thought that as slughammer had some concerns about different printers printing varying sized targets that this would help.
    Guess not.
    R.M.

I had to change the "Page Scaling" to NONE and then the pistol target came right out at 6-1/8.

I think one week is a bit short for this crowd, myself included. Going too long also does little to stimulate folks around here. Talking smack does help most of the time though

Maybe three weeks would be good.

Now its time to egg on some challengers.... is whoopass one word or two?

Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by R.M. View Post
    The links that I posted have the size of the black listed. I thought that as slughammer had some concerns about different printers printing varying sized targets that this would help.
    Guess not.
    Sorry I did not see the size listed there but I do appreciate it. As long as page scaling is turned off the targets should print at just the right size. I went to Sportsman's today and measured the official NRA targets and the measurements were the same. If there are no objections I think I will go with Slughammers suggestion of three weeks. We can have the scores submitted within the the thread or I can set up an email address for submissions depending on how everyone else would like to do it. Keep those suggestions coming. I will be posting the final rules tomorrow night after I get off work. That will be Sunday April 20th at 12:00a.m. Mountain Time.

THE COMPETITION BEGINS NOW!!!!!

Thank you everyone who posted suggestions. The competition will begin immediately and these are the final rules. Any flaws in the rules will be fixed after the competition ends and if there is enough demand for another competition(please do not exploit any significant flaws, we all know what is fair. The Rules are as follows:
    1:Targets will be standard Olympic 10 meter air pistol or air rifle targets. Targets must be within .5mm of these outer ring diameters. Pistol 6 1/8 inches (15.5 cm) and rifle 1 3/4 inches (4.55cm)
    2:Targets will be placed 10 meters or 33 feet from the exit of the barrel.
    3:Total of 25 shots in succession within a 60 minute time frame.
    4:Shots may be fired with one or two hands however they must be made from a standing position off hand with no gunrests of any type.
    5:Pistols must use the pistol target and rifles must use the rifle target.
    6:Any brand of standard .177 or .22 wadcutter pellets may be used.
    7:No restriction on the type of gun used.
    8:Any shot that lands between two rings recieves the higher of the two values.
    9:Open sights only.
    10:Scores must be posted in this thread by May 4, 2008 in order to be included in the current competition. (this should allow ample time for smack talking)
    11:Scores must be posted including the make and model of the air gun that was used.(scores may be posted only once however you may submit scores for both the pistol and rifle competitions)
    12.Common sense must be used. I will go to the grave with a pellet buried in my left thigh for ignoring this one.

No registration will be necessary so if you see this thread any time between now and the end of the competition please feel free to submit your scores
    Last edited by Saint; 04-20-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Boolit Master

Two questions:

1) How many shots per target? Normal competition targets have 11 bulls per sheet (1 sighter and 10 for score) but the target on the Glock site only prints one bull per page.

2) Rule 9 says "Open sights only." Does this simply means no scopes or other optical sights...such as red dot or holographics...or does it also rule out aperature sights as well? I'm planning to shoot my RWS Diana Mod. 52 with a Mendoza aperature rear and RWS globe front.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

no magnifying sights, scopes or lasers or holographics. Use as many targets as you need to score them accurately as you will only be submitting a score. i use an aperture sight on my American Classic. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify that. please feel free to post any other questions on the rules. Next time around I will make sure all of this makes it into the rules ahead of time.
    Last edited by Saint; 04-21-2008 at 04:47 PM.

I just wanted to share this with anybody else who shoots indoors. This is one of the simplest, cheapest, and most durable silent pellet traps that can be made. It took about 10 minutes to make this and I paid a total of about 12 dollars for all of the materials used. This is a five gallon bucket from the Home Depot paint department, on the bottom of the bucket is 5 pounds of Gardner Bender duct seal from the Home Depot electrical department. I bought a clipboard from Walmart for 1 dollar and used some screws that just about anyone has lying around the house. I hacked off everything except the clip on the clipboard so you could still just use clamp style paper clips instead. I then screwed the remaining part of the clipboard into the rim of the bucket and stuffed all 5 pounds of the duct seal into the bottom of the bucket. There is also a large plywood backstop behind this that is not in the picture. This is a small trap measuring at only 12 inches in diameter so if anybody else wants to make one make sure to use a backstop if you are not confident that your accuracy within those 12 inches will be 100%. As a plus you can leave the handle on and it makes a great portable trap. Next I am going to ad some feet to it.

So is nobody shooting this match, or are there a bunch of sandbaggers waiting till tomorrow to post their score. Best "Gitter Done " soon.
    R.M.

my pistol broke so i am only shooting the rifle competition but i will be posting my score tonight.

OK, I'll start the ball rolling.

Pistol- SAM M-10 .177 Cal. Compressed Air

Score : 235/250
    R.M.

Well it appears I suck. I had not intended to shoot the rifle competition but my pistol broke, not that I would have come close to 235.
    Normally I would not even think about using this thing for a competition so I spent the money on the Mendoza sight hoping it would be acceptable but the rifle still sucks.

Rifle - Daisy Powerline 856 (40 dollar rifle) with a Mendoza diopter rear sight. 650 f.p.s. multi-pump
    Score 97/250

I wouldn't get too concerned. I haven't shot my rifle yet, and I'm not a rifle shooter, unless I'm pointing at meat. It could be scary.
    R.M.

It seems all those years watching the rifle shooters at the matches that I attended, must have taught me something. Now I'm not ready to try out for the national team just yet but I'm happy. I guess trigger control is trigger control, no matter how long the gun is.

Rifle - Crosman Challenger - .177 - CO2

Score : 194/250
    R.M.

I definitely won't be trying out for any Olympic teams any time soon. Maybe the special olympics has an airgun competition. I wonder if anybody else is planning on posting scores?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast