Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: PC problem...

Boolit Mold

PC problem...

New to powdercoating, however, I did get it to work with 50 rounds (first successful rounds out of the oven) and they work great. Accuracy is good, no issues with them other than a light load (ejection problems, however loaded at minimum, so easily fixed).

The problem I am having is because I casted about 200 of them, and water quenched them. Took them out, laid them on a towel under a fan for two days. Put them in the tupperware with the PC, rolled them around for a few minutes, and NOTHING is sticking. The only thing I did different was the water quenching. How do I fix this? What is the issue... They are dried, and I tried to put some in the oven for 15min at 350F, no success...

What can I do to fix this?

Read the stickies....follow the instructions there....pay attention to what doesn't work....read read read.After that its really simple.

Was this the same way you powder coated your first batch? Did you use ASBB's and what type along with what type of container? How was the humidity? Did you just swirl them, if so, how vigorously? Did you shake the boolits up and down also? What kind and what color powder did you use? Aggressive swirling and shaking for several minutes should be sufficient.

Others may chime in also to give some tips but not enough info is given to give a good answer. Try to eliminate one thing at a time.

Not getting down on you, but more info is needed. You may want to read up on previous posts on methods of shake and bake powder coating in order to rule things out and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Mold
    This was done EXACTLY as the first batch was done. The one and only difference is the water quenching. (also the lead is not straight wheel weights, it's purchased lead with supposed 5% antimony). No ASBB's. Container is a plastic container with lid, shaken, swirled, and every other way you can think for about 3 minutes. Humidity might be a factor, but I have no way to measure it. Also, would the oven have taken away the humidity??? Used the red HF PC, same exact bottle I used last time. Not sure what else it could be...

Something in your water/container you quenched them in?Soap?oil?Anything that might keep powder from sticking?Do get some black airsoft BBs and I like to push my tub of powder/boolits around on carpet to build up a static charge. If it worked once and all you changed was water quenching.......

Is this the same container you are using for both. Did you wipe it out before trying the second batch? If so with what?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    This was my experiences with it too. I just can't get it to work reliably. Some do, every time, with beautiful results!!
    Good luck with it!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I WD all of my castings ( just to cool them) and then PC. Every one coats 100% everytime with BBDT and ESPC.

Why under a fan for 2 days?!?!!??! I let mine dry mabe an hour sometimes. Other times up to 3 weeks in a plastic container. Makes no difference. Water is NO causing your problems.

You are getting some kind of contamination from something IN the water is my guess. I have absolutely no problem.

Keep trying and good luck. I does work. But it took me many many tries to perfect BBDT. ESPC works first time.....every time!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    This works well for me. #5 cool whip bowl, red or black plastic BB's. Small bowl not too many bullets, maybe 30, large bowl 50 or so. Shake and rub on a piece of carpet for better static cling for a few minutes. See what you get.

Boolit Buddy
    This works for me. #5 Cool Whip bowl. 25-30 bullets in a small one, maybe 50 in a large one with red or black plastic BB's. Spend some time shaking and rubbing bowl of bullets in contact with a piece of carpet. This produces good static cling. See what you get.

Hmm, I have water dropped & then shake & bake, green asbb & #5 ziplock container, no issues. If humidity is high, the HF red needs more than the 30sec or so I normally shake. Coverage is perfect. Smokes powder does better in higher humidity. Also less is more, I use very little powder to do 100s of bullets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I have high humidity here and couldn't get the powder to reliably stick to the bullets. I found the *piglet* method works well for me. Swirl the bullets in laquer thinner and sprinkle a light coating of powder on them. I stand em up on a silicon mat and bake for 20 mins. Doesn't look as pretty as the spray method but works for me.

Boolit Master
    I do not think boolits + tupperware + powder alone is reliable.

I use black ASBB, HF red and a heavy duty reusable container made from #5 plastic.

I have done both air cooled and water dropped. Some have been next day, some have been months after casting.

The biggest "affect" I have noted was humidity. I have had to deal with very high humidity on a number of occasions.

However, even with very high humidity, it does eventually work if you keep after it.

If you do not want to use ASBBs, I think there is a "bag in a tub" method that sounded promising.

For me, I have full confidence in getting acceptable coatings any time I want using the ASBB + HF red.

I also recently eliminated my earlier concerns about PC accuracy performance.

I got some "best ever for me" cast boolit groups using ASBB HF red coated checkless:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ign-358-200-RF

Boolit Master

My guess is it has something to do with two days in front of a fan. They must have some kind of dusting of whatever is in the air be it dirt/dust, pollen, or whatever fumes may be lingering. I live in south GA and am a few miles from the coast and humidity has done nothing to my dry tumble coatings with HF or Smoke's powders. I quit using the BB's and just shake them in whatever container I have be it cool whip, Glad, or some generic clone. Some times I add a little too much powder so I started to use a small plastic spoon to measure out the same amount each time instead of trying to dribble straight from the container. I water drop usually and I toss them in the toaster for fifteen minutes with the door propped open half an inch. Nice and dry in fifteen minutes. I do bag up my uncoated bullets because I don't need a dusting of pine pollen on them setting in my garage. No clue if that would really do anything but no need to tempt fate and it's easy to bag them up once they cool.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs