Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Home made diy speed loader tubes for ML

Boolit Bub
    Mackay Queensland, Australia on the East Coast with the Great Barrier Reef offshore

Home made diy speed loader tubes for ML

I have been wanting to try a speed loader on my .54 Pedersoli Tryon but due to the outrageous cost of the commercial model here in Australia I have opted to make my own "po boy" model.
    here is why I am not buying in Australia.
    http://zoxoro.com.au/Products/Tools-...alm-Saver.html

I found some 12.7mm (1/2") ID PEX water pipe at the local Bunnings ( similar to your own Lowes)

I cut it into 60mm (2 3/8") lengths which I placed in a collet chuck on my lathe.
    A small section of the OD was skimmed to fit 16mm (5/8") push on chair leg tips.Care must be used to make the OD fit snug enough to stop the caps dropping off too easily and yet not too tight.

The bore was enlarged to 14mm with a twist drill and the internal feather removed with a hobby blade.

I have only capped one end of each tube for powder. My cheapy speed loaders work like a charm.
    the next challenge is to make a string or fine tie wire to avoid losing the caps.I will experiment with hot and cold glues on the plastics.
    It should work on .50cal as well. No idea on other calibers.

I apologise for the poor photos but its the best I can do with an iPod.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speed load 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	155470
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed load 1.jpg  
    Last edited by Whitesmoke; 12-12-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    We used to make cappers for #11 caps, out of a 2" circle of stiff leather. Put a hole in top center of leather, 1/4" in for a lanyard around your neck, then use a leather punch to punch holes around the perimeter of the leather, with about 1/4" or less leather left on the outside, then split from the outside to the hole with a razor blade, will hold 12-20 caps, , just place one over a nipple and pop it off, cheap and easy to make, works great

Boolit Master
    When using black powder, I have 20ga empty shotshells cut down to hold a measured charge, cover it with some tape and leave a pull tab on the tape.
    The patched balls are in a little piece of thin wood or plywood with holes drilled to capture the balls already grease patched.
    I use a leather capper similar to the above post.

Boolit Master
    Koger, I have one of those. Won it at a muzzleloader shoot.

Boolit Master
    I use empty 35mm film plastic containers for my black powder loads. I used to do a lot of photography in my younger days, but I saved quite a few of the containers. just measure a charge, dump in the container, and write the amt of powder on the cap with a grease pencil. when charging your ml, you can squeeze the sides of the plastic container to funnel the powder into the bore.

Perma-Banned
    looks like that tubin' would also work for a cookie-cutter if you ever pan-lube conicals for yer gun.

Boolit Bub
    Mackay Queensland, Australia on the East Coast with the Great Barrier Reef offshore
    Guys I am utilising the tube to hold powder, patch and ball.The current model is sans percussion cap but I will work with that thanks to an idea from koger.

This seems to work well for me as far as speed goes as all I need to do is remove the cap, dump the powder down the barrel , reverse the tube and push the patched ball through the tube into the barrel with the short starter.

The first iteration of the tube was with a punched wooden plywood base - it just held powder - But I soon realised it was possible to bore it out to allow for a patched .54 ball.

It has certainly speeded up the load shoot cycle for me and that was I was seeking -it is range orientated- but can't see any reason they would not work on a hunt.

I know, the tubes do not fit too well in a shot gun cartridge belt unless I doctor the loops as they were far too loose and the tubes dropped out between the car and the range shoot table.

Just some minor challenges to overcome such as keeping the caps with the tube, but I will play with the leather scrap idea maybe glued to the cap maybe to make it a complete package.

Thanks also to Castin fool as I can see the value in marking the charge load.
    Last edited by Whitesmoke; 12-13-2015 at 02:34 AM.

Banned

is there a practical need faster ml loading? just curious.

Boolit Master
    It is not as much about Speed, as it is about Convienience .
    The less Fumbling with all the different components seems to sour some people on the ML experience.
    But I must say, with a Home made Preloaded Patch and ball Block, a Leather primer Fob and Pre Measured Powder in tubes I made out of old News Paper, I am like a Machine gun on the firing line.(Well in my mind anyway)

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    For my 32 flint lock squirrel rifle I cut an appropriate length(3") of Kentucky River Cane leaving the cane joint in the middle. When it has dried, I shorten each open end to hold my charge, with room for a ball and then carefully file the open ends to hold a patched RB to contain the powder. One is all you need for squirrels, and while you are waiting for the next critter, reload the used end. You are always ready to fire very promptly. No measuring , no horn to play with, etc.

Now I have never seen any KRC with a big enough end hollow to make a loader for a 54 RB, but you can always find a red Chinese piece of bamboo cane at wallys to do in a similar fashion for a one joint/double ended charger, or make them as a single if you need several. Just reach in your pouch & VOILA !

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    Its speed and convenience.
    When shooting targets I like to shoot at a regular pace to keep the barrel warm and at a consistent temperature.
    hence the regular -faster -cadence of load and shoot.

The other part is that a lot of the clutter is gone= just a bunch of tubes on the table ( or -in a belt when I have made the belt to fit the tubes ) range rod , short starter, capper (for now) and a tin of damp cleaning patches

There,s less to think about and less opportunity to make an error - my focus can be applied to the sighting and trigger release.

I shot last Thursday in a practice session. From bench rest at fifty metres.
    The target shows a 5 shot string( shot offhand) at top RH side where the patches were too dry-cut and blown when I picked them up.
    The 2nd and 3rd strings (shot benchrest) were heaps better with excellent groups when I dampened the patches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50 meters 10th Dec.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post

sometimes you need a second shot on an animal while hunting.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    sometimes you need a second shot on an animal while hunting.
    Yeah, the convenience and speed if you happen to need to put an animal down.
    +1
    Also, sometimes game will come in on one of their own that is down. you might get 2 hogs instead of 1