Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Penn Bullets coating???

Boolit Master

Penn Bullets coating???

Anyone know what their coating is? They seem to be saying everything else is inferior and theirs is perfection but tell you nothing about it.

Homepage: http://www.pennbullets.com/

Talk on coated bullets: http://pennbullets.com/pennbulletin.html

They pretty much blast Hi-Tek and PC for what personally I feel are invalid reasons and I don't even see how you order their bullets with the new coating vs. their old hard wax lube. The few Penn bullets I've shot were very well made but I always had to tumble lube them in LLA to get them to stop leading.

My point is if there really is a new contender in coatings then I'm interested.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

They are don't really give any clues as to what they are doing. I do see where they claim PC is abrasive. I wonder how they figure that.

Boolit Master
    got some here that think PC is abrasive! but so is anything you push at 2000 fps down a barrel that is a tight fit.
    Frank G.

My wife says that I'm abrasive sometimes, but I don't think she can prove it.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like penn has picked up on an unproven wives tale and is using it to their advantage. I pc all my boolits and shoot quite a bit of em. No worn out bores here lol.

Boolit Master
    The abrasive claim probably comes from certain colors having some ingredient that is typically abrasive. Like a metal or carbon.

Penn bullets were always pretty good but the 210gr that I bought many moons ago and still haven't used up yet in my 41 magnum are around 18bhn. If you don't load them with mid or above "magnum" pressure they lead do to lack of obsturation.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    As I read his assessment he stated that powder coat ''can'' contain abrasive materials. Well, it may be possible to find or design powder coatings that are abrasive for some specific use, but nothing like that has ever been advocated here. I've seen abrasives in oils, but that doesn't mean I'd run those in my vehicles.

He made no claims of inferior accuracy using powder coatings. He made no claims of having to be careful loading them into cases as he did with another coating.

I'll accept his claim that some powder coatings may contain abrasives, but simply don't see how that affects what we are trying to do here.

There was question for awhile about Harbor Freight flat black powder. Most here have concluded there is and was no validity to the claim of damaged bores from it's use. If any here still have concerns then simply use a gloss coating instead of flat black. I am sure some will continue to shoot flat black and over time I believe it will become well accepted that the claim is nothing more than a ''wives tale''. If you tumble coat it is not an issue anyway as HF flat black does not tumble coat well at all. So only shooters who apply PC using the ESPC method are the only ones who might still have some residual concern.

I am certainly no expert, but I have 100% confidence in Smoke's powders. He tests powders before marketing them and has no desire to sell powders that don't deliver, from application to loading to shooting them, the performance we all want.

I had doubts so I use clear powder coating from Smoke. Those doubts are gone now and I fully intend to buy a range of colors from Smoke. Darn you Bangerjim.

The custom mold I ordered from Accurate Molds is out on the mail truck this morning and I am just waiting on my mail lady to bring it to me. Plus 3 orders from Al at Noe.

Life is good ladies and gents. Stick with what is tried and true here and you won't go wrong. And God bless the experimenters because it is they who got us where we are. And they may find more neat things that will simplify application or make powder coatings stronger which will benefit all of us.

I am willing to view Penn bullets as just another experimenter, but I understand there is a commercial side to his experimenting. They are allowed to ''Puff'' their products. The BEST or AS GOOD AS, ONLY CHEAPER or NO OTHER BRAND IS BETTER. Wish him luck. Who knows...he may be onto the next big thing in coating.

In the meantime enjoy our hobby and the camaraderie we share here. And know...this is a special place. Great participating members and vendors alike. And I suspect more than a few quality lurkers as well.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Okay, I agree, shooting a PC bullet causes abrasion, but so does shooting lubed, plated, jacketed, Hi-Tek, Penn and any other bullet. When a cartridge is fired the hot gases abrade the barrel at the throat of the chamber. This happen in all firearms regardless of the projectile. But the PC bullet itself does no damage to the gun barrel and PC bullet does not lead the barrel. I think you will have to look hard to find a powder that contains abrasive materials. I know that every powder I have used from Prismatic Powders is either a polymer or epoxy and my barrels have been slugged and show no measurable wear. To me Penn sounds like the only way they can promote their product is by trying to tear down another, if their product is superior then let it stand on its own merits. I personally am very happy in my Powder Coating rut and plan to stay there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    My wife says that I'm abrasive sometimes, but I don't think she can prove it.
    She doesn't have to. She is the final word.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford