Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 10 gauge round ball loads.

Boolit Master

Differences could reflect inconsistency in roll crimp. Tom @ ballistic research told me in a nice way my roll crimps sucked the first batch I sent to him! Got better with frequent practice however. Nice looking loads, looking forward to some big holes in paper soon, see how those barrels do with poi vs poa.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Took her out for more load testing today. Just a quick trip. I wanted to get my good buddy JT in on the action (he usually gets to enjoy a little of the funnest stuff I mess around with).
    We shot more loads over the chronograph and gathered more data. I'm thinking that 40-41 grains of SR4756 is a good load. Seems to be the right amount of recoil, and FPS and there are still no pressure signs.
    Here's what I tested today along with the results loaded with the method described previously:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Test load #5

40 grains of SR4756
    1. 1129 fps
    2.1109 fps
    3. 1131 fps------------------------average = 1114 fps
    4.1090 fps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Test load #6

41 grains of SR4756

1. 1206 fps
    2. 1283 fps
    3. 1171 fps---------------------------average = 1278 fps
    4. 1452 fps

Test load #7

39 grains of SR4756

reprimed once fired hulls from the previous test with Remington #97 primers

1. 1953
    (faulty reading. No way)
    2. 2111 (faulty reading. No way)
    3. 1090
    4. 1168
    So we had fun shooting some loads and I gathered more data. We took a few shots at an old target that was laying on the pile and hit it, but it was just for fun.
    Here's a picture of JT sending one over the Chrony:
    Attachment 156056

We had two shots left, so we decided to use them to bust a turtle in the pond. I have no idea what happened to the turtle. LOL!
    Here's JT making turtle soup the fast way.
    Attachment 156061
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    What about the "LEE Brand" early hand loader outfits they used to sell..? The shot gun ones, way back there in reloading history...

Boolit Master

Poi, poa, nah...pot! point of turtle!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    You should be able to fold crimp on a drill press or arbor press. They sell crimp dies that simply bolt into your shotgun press, and you should be able to chuck that in a drill press and adjust for proper seating depth. there is 2 crimp dies, a starter and a final.
    With fold crimp you have to maintain your 6 pt or 8 pt respectively, the hull mouths take a memory after the 1st crimp.

Boolit Grand Master

You cant fault a guy for having a little fun once in a while. LOL!

OK, so after reviewing the chronograph readings, I have decided that the 41 grain loads are where I want to set up shop. I feel really good about my prgression to this load given time, money and component restraints.
    I have made up 10 of the 41 grain load, and next time I go to the range, I will shoot them at paper and see what can be had. That may be later today, but I have to fry a few turkeys for the family first. We'll see what happens.
    I'm trying to decide on a range to test at. I think 50 yards would do. The 12 gauge RB project I did a few years ago was accurate enough to keep them on a paper plate out to 75 yards at least as long as I kept the barrel cool. From a purely theoretical point of view, I expect these to do even better being so much more massive, but in reality, that is entirely up to the gun and how it likes the load. I just want to record the accuracy of this load before trying something else.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    You should be able to fold crimp on a drill press or arbor press. They sell crimp dies that simply bolt into your shotgun press, and you should be able to chuck that in a drill press and adjust for proper seating depth. there is 2 crimp dies, a starter and a final.
    With fold crimp you have to maintain your 6 pt or 8 pt respectively, the hull mouths take a memory after the 1st crimp.
    They? They? Who is this "They" you speak of? and do "They" make such a thing in 10 gauge?
    Many options that are available for 12 gauge are not available for 10 gauge. I have received lots and lots of advice that works great when dealing with 12 gauge, but does not apply to 10 gauge seeing as how it is precariously hanging by rotting dental floss over the yawning abyss of extinction.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 12-20-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Banned

Goodsteel you seem to have a full compliment machine shop. Any possibly you could make what you need??

pick up a used or new mec steelmaster in 10ga.

Banner Sponsor

Boolit Master
    I have a Mec loader I could barter with, it would need 10ga dies though.

Boolit Man
    Maybe this accessory for a drilling machine could be of some help, although I don't know the price:
    http://www.omv.it/pressa-smart-2/

Boolit Master

Very interesting post Tim. God you southern guys use grits for everything!
    Tim

Boolit Master
    I noticed one of my load books has hull & chamber dimensions, if you want it I could scan it in.
    Lyman 5th edition shotshell book

Mr. Goodsteel seems your shell count is getting smaller sense the first day. You seem to have learned a good lesson. Those 10 ga. sure will jolt your head and body. Keep shooting and posting, we enjoy the reading.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

goodsteel, found some 10ga stuff on ebay for you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Loader-i...8AAOSwo3pWcfkg- whack a mole loader

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEC-RELOADER...MAAMXQxU9SCSEJ- MEC 10 ga crimp assy

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tward View Post
    Very interesting post Tim. God you southern guys use grits for everything!
    Tim
    For the record, bacon grease works perfect for lubing the rim of the hull for roll crimping. LOL!

Boolit Grand Master

To all those who showed links to the various doo dads etc etc: First of all your google fu is much stronger than mine, and I appreciate the help.
    Second, I don't have much if any free shop time to devote to the making of custom tools for a fun gun, although I'm not opposed to it.
    Third, I really don't want to spend a ton of money on a new press. The last thing I need is another caliber/gun specific press taking up room in the shop.

Now that European machine that elvas posted is certainly interesting! Good lord, did you see those tight crimps? It's like a roll crimp/fold crimp hybrid! It also helps me understand exactly what needs to be done to the tip of the shell. A couple of weeks ago, I took the crimp finisher off my MEC 650 and made a cerosafe casting of it. At the time, I dismissed the thought of reverse engineering it for the ten gauge, because of it's length, but apparently it doesn't matter as long as the tip of the shell is controlled and held on center. I may take another look at that. Doesn't seem like it would take much make something that would work, and the best part is, I get to continue to use the milling machine as a reloading press.
    I'll pray on it.
    For now, what I am doing seems to be working and the tools were cheap/fast to make and fit in my pocket. Can't beat that with a wet squirrel.

Now, today I crawled up in the attic and observed my harem of Texan presses and the box of attachments/bushings/spare parts/curiosities. I found that the crimp starters they use for 12 gauge are big enough to work on a 10 gauge as well. I may modify one of them to suit my needs.
    Looks like I've got my choice of 8 point or six point. I wonder if there's an advantage one over the other?
    I can drill these out on the back and install a mandrel that will allow me to simply put whichever I choose in the drill chuck and press it home with the quill. That leaves only the crimper itself, and I'm pretty sure I can come up with something for that.
    Attachment 156114
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 12-20-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you can get it picked up here in southern Illinois I will loan my 10 Ga. loader for this project. Being you are doing the leg work on these loads for all of us..... Not wore out, but it was pre steel shot, barely. basically brand new. I started loading 10 and 12 Ga. before the farce of steel shot was rammed in....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast