Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 10 gauge round ball loads.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Love that price!
    Yeah, 1976 was a great year eh?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

OK, so I just checked tracking on the ball mold.........again.
    I'll never understand USPS logic:
    The mold leaves the UK and is received at the USPS sorting facility in Chicago Illinois. (A mere 675 miles from my front door.)
    Then the mold is forwarded to...........................Anchorage Alaska. 3575 miles away.
    Then the mold is forwarded to Little Rock Arkansas. This trip took 3955 miles (which incidentally, is almost exactly how far it had to travel from England to Chicago in the first place! ) .
    Now the mold needs only to be driven 32 miles in order to be delivered, and I'm hoping they see fit to bring it right here instead of forwarding it to Bangor Maine before sending it to my local post office.
    (and here, I thought it was an inexpensive mold. LOL! In fact, it has traveled 11517 miles. That would take you from Ellis Island to the Puget sound and back again twice, or half way around the world if you were traveling along the equator.)
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 12-13-2015 at 04:10 AM.

Banner Sponsor

That is an insane trip.
    Does the no overshot card wad apply to slugs also?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    That is an insane trip.
    Does the no overshot card wad apply to slugs also?
    I would be very worried about the card rolling off the tip of a projectile with a rounded nose during it's trip down the barrel (no matter what the shape of it was below the crest of the ogive), getting lodged between the ball and the barrel and putting a nasty dent in there like Col. Hatcher demonstrated regarding experiments with similar objects lodged in the barrels of military rifles, written about in the latter part of chapter VII of "Colonel Hatchers Notebook" (page 194-197 in my copy).

Boolit Grand Master
    You might also try some granulated plastic filler designed for shotshells, like Super Grex (don't know if its made anymore, maybe BPI has a subsitute). Also, maybe grits, instead of COW, bit coarser than COW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    6pt-Sika has a wealth of experience with all things 10 ga, especially older Parkers, etc. I'm sure he'll be along with some starting points.
    As of yet I've not tried any round balls in the 10 gauge . My maternal grandfathers old circa 1881 W&C Scott hammerless 10 gauge has it stamped on the underside of both barrels "no ball shot only" but then this gun has A LOT of constriction . Doubt I ever try round balls in that one . My other 10 gauge guns however are a different story as I plan on eventually trying with one or all of them . But I want a round all that will fit in the REM SP-10 wad and not clip the petals going they the choke but still be snug .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

The mold came in today, and it looks perfect:
    Attachment 155622

Attachment 155623

Attachment 155624

Attachment 155625

I would NOT want to be on the receiving end of that discharge. WoW.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I would NOT want to be on the receiving end of that discharge. WoW.
    Which end of the gun is "the receiving end of discharge"? It gets a little blurry in this particular scenario.

Boolit Master
    Trim the petals of the shot cup back so they end just short of the ball's equator. That is what I do with 12 and 20 gauge balls. I also use salvaged 'plastic peanut' packing material for filler. A lot of modern 'peanuts' isn't really plastic and is totally biodegradable. Regardless I am never able to find any after firing as it totally disintegrates.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Which end of the gun is "the receiving end of discharge"? It gets a little blurry in this particular scenario.
    I'm thinking either one.

Boolit Grand Master

Tim, don't take this the wrong way... but man have you got big balls!

Boolit Grand Master

My BPI order should be here by Sunday. I wish like crazy I had a way to bust a fold crimp on the shells, but I'm going to have to do it the old fashioned way.

Boolit Master

LB, I was advised the proper terminology for those north of a certain border is "SKOOKUM!"
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Once you get comfy, you can start working up 2-ball and tri-ball loads!

Boolit Grand Master

Right you are Hogtamer... Tim has Skookum balls!

Boolit Grand Master

Everybody's a comedian.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Everybody's a comedian.
    And you say that like it is a bad thing.

Personally, I think the correct position to be in when Tim lights one off is going to be at 90 degrees to the bore and filming it (for insurance purposes).

To get back to serious recommendations, or at least thoughts, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to use something like psb or the current version of grex for the ball to sit in instead of Cream of Wheat. Seems to me like there would be less chance of clumping if the loads sit in a humid area.

May make a difference, may not.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Not everyone is a comedian, just us.

I know Hogtamer likes his grits but I will stick with COW + graphite. So far I have not found it to clump or cause/result in any problems as a filler in shotshells under balls or slugs or in metallic cartridges. Different strokes.

Now having said that, I certainly can't argue that PSB, GREX or whatever plastic shotgun buffer would be at least as good or better in both applications. One day I will get some and try it for sure.

Not sure I would us "a lot" of any sort of granular filler under a ball though. My view is to use card or fiber wads to take up volume then the COW or whatever filler to form a seat under the ball. Too long a column of granular filler of any kind will tend to expand as it all leaves the hull then compress in the forcing cone. I have to think that a long column of filler could lead to problems but that is just my opinion.

I am looking forward to your field report and I am expecting great results from you! Don't let me down!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Not everyone is a comedian, just us.

I know Hogtamer likes his grits but I will stick with COW + graphite. So far I have not found it to clump or cause/result in any problems as a filler in shotshells under balls or slugs or in metallic cartridges. Different strokes.

Now having said that, I certainly can't argue that PSB, GREX or whatever plastic shotgun buffer would be at least as good or better in both applications. One day I will get some and try it for sure.

Not sure I would us "a lot" of any sort of granular filler under a ball though. My view is to use card or fiber wads to take up volume then the COW or whatever filler to form a seat under the ball. Too long a column of granular filler of any kind will tend to expand as it all leaves the hull then compress in the forcing cone. I have to think that a long column of filler could lead to problems but that is just my opinion.

Longbow

I agree.

One thing I keep puzzling over is how to handle the crimp. All of the shells I have are intended for use with a roll crimp, and I have already established why I think that's a bad idea.
    I was originally thinking that a bead of hot glue around the ball where it contacts the shell would be the way to go, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if that's a good idea or not.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast