WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage vs New Lee hand press.

I cam subscribe avery single word from Randy.

Sent from my C6903 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

There might be some advantage to the quick change feature of the lock ring eliminator but they are more expensive than say the Hornady lock ring that would work with the standard die threads. Almost twice as much. $16.50 to do 2 sets @ 3 dies per set Vs. $30 with the lock ring eliminator.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    When I was using a single stage press before the breech lock systems came along I either used set screw lock rings, split lock rings, or double nutted the lock rings. They all kept the die settings and it was easy to spin one out and install the next one. Are the breech lock systems that much better or faster than what I was doing?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I never liked the Huntington Press simply because it requires a table or something to anchor the press to while you push down on the levers.

I consider this to be a superior design. Plus that Suzanne Sommers can't be wrong?

Randy
    Actually you must have never owned one - No table required - but it does spit the spent primers everywhere. Next time you go to Paulden - let me know and I'll bring it up for a little in the field demo.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    When I was using a single stage press before the breech lock systems came along I either used set screw lock rings, split lock rings, or double nutted the lock rings. They all kept the die settings and it was easy to spin one out and install the next one. Are the breech lock systems that much better or faster than what I was doing?
    Nope, to me at least on a bench press. I have two Lee Classic Cast and find myself using way a lot more the old stile one. I deserve the BL to the caliber that I use at the range with known load and same bulletts. While with new guns or when developing rounds I way prefer the old style press for coninuous minimum adjustemend I always perform. On the other side for a hand press mean to be brought outside having dies seated is handy and avoid messing. But mind, at least in the presses I have, the Lee hand press Bl and the Classic Cast Bl althought sharing the same component have different settings. So you must adjus the dies on the hand press because the seat on the Classic is different. I have also read that someone was able to fix it with some shims. But never tried mysels.
    hope it helpes

Art: I guess now that I look at one again I can see you push the levers together to ram the case. I thought you pushed them down.

This is about the third time this week I've had to confess to being an idiot. I'm starting to think I might be one.

I saw you posted a pic along with some dimensions in another thread I found. I also found another pic of a very similar press someone had made. Good enough for me to have a look .

The last time I saw a price at Huntington's it was around $160?

Would it be possible for you to post some larger pics of the tool? I'd appreciate it.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-19-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I've been using the lee hand press I purchased for a little now. I mostly use my bench mounted press, but for a change, the lee is good.

My only complaint, is that the ergonomics of the grip area is poor. If there was more of a knob at the end of the handles, that would do better I think. Any Ideas on what I could do to make it more comfortable?

If there was room, I would get a hard maple ball or two and drill holes in them to fit on the ends. Use epoxy to fasten them on.

IMO yes. Once a die is set in its breech lock it too retains that setting. But unlike yours, with a breech lock you push a button, turn the die/lock 1/6th of a turn and it lifts out.

Quick change, no sweat. No unscrewing. Now not everyone will care about that.
    Me I often do 50 of one caliber followed by 50 of another. So quick and easy changes suits me, perfectly.

My Lee hand press is my main press. I have 2 others, but the Lee is the one I use by choice.
    Just my opinion. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post

Boolit Master
    I've used one of the new style Lee hand presses for a couple years to reload all my .45-70 ammo. It just seems "right" to do Buffalo rifle cartridges that way.
    It only holds 20 spent large rifle primers, doing too many can lock things up. Think load a box at a time.
    I have sized .375 H&H brass just to see if it would do them. Not as easy as in my fixed press but do able. I use my fingers around the die itself and thumb around the lever during the final part of the sizing stroke to squeeze the lever shut.
    So far after hundreds of .45-70 brass sized and loaded the single insert is still solid. I haven't bothered to buy extra inserts but may the next trip to my LGS.

I don't use a lot of Lee products but they make some great stuff and the hand press is one of them.
    Last edited by Rick R; 04-01-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    For those that complain about spent primers there is another simple way.

Get one of Lee's punch and base sets for .22 CF and .30 CF. Use an 8 oz dead blow hammer to knock out your primers away from the hand press.
    You don't have primers and debris on your press to deal with.
    No you do not have to interrupt your operation. You can knock the primers out of literally hundreds or thousands of cases in a separate session and store the deprimed brass for sizing later.
    EDG

I have been thinking on drilling out the primer holding portion of the ram. I dont think i can make it deep enough to hold 50 primers, But the more the better.

I bought a Frankford Armory hand deprimer, my Lee hand press rarely see's primers nowdays.

Problem solved. And I can do it upstairs while watching TV, then give it a citric acid bath in the kitchen sink.

Done and done.

Old thread but I literally do everything on my breech lock hand press including bullet sizing. Priming and depriming are not a problem. I just count 25-30 cases in depriming and tip the press to the disposal. Repeat.

None of my calibers require a bench press. Mil spec .308 brass and .300blk are probably the toughest out of my lot to size but the press has proved quite sturdy so far.

shoe

Boolit Grand Master

I never saw the big burning need for a breech lock system. None of my other presses have it, I would have to remove them to use the dies in another press.
    Just another got to have gizmo so they can sell you a new press and a do-hickey for every die you own....Gary don't play that game. I rather enjoy screwing and have gotten quite good at it.
    The hand press is neat , I have two of them but the breach lock thing I can live without.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I never saw the big burning need for a breech lock system. None of my other presses have it, I would have to remove them to use the dies in another press.
    Just another got to have gizmo so they can sell you a new press and a do-hickey for every die you own....Gary don't play that game. I rather enjoy screwing and have gotten quite good at it.
    The hand press is neat , I have two of them but the breach lock thing I can live without.
    That was funny. I dont see any need for the breech locks, and I do small batches. Less than 100 rounds normally. It dont take that long to switch dies. My problem now is I dont like having to readjust the lock ring for use with my bench press between my hand press. I am thinking, of trying to make a spacer, like what comes with a special/magnum die set, that would give me the perfect thickness to use between the 2 presses. I dont do any machining, so its on the back burner... for now.

For those who think the Lee had press takes to much effort to size cases, and don't like the small primer holder, just resize on your bench press. Do all the cases you have for that caliber.Then do the rest with the hand press.I have the Lee hand press and that's what I do. I then prime all the cases. Have the seating die all set. That way I can take it to the range with everything set to go. I then can load as I go. Using powder measures, premade for specific loads or the Lee Perfect powder measure. Mounted on a board, c-clamp to a bench at the range. The Lee with it's micrometer adjustment in cc's is easy to increase charges in incremental steps. When you reach an accurate or max load, Then once home weigh the charge on your scale.I use my chrono for this load development. Watch the velocities. When your actual velocity reaches book max you know your at book max regardless of powder charge. Leo

Boolit Master
    Busted the Lee one very early on, now I only use the 310 tool for use in front of the TV.

I have my loading bench in the garage...it get's really hot and dry in the summer and no place to be comfortable..I always keep my powder and primers in the house. Once in a while I get the urge to do a bit of loading or load testing and just can't face the really hot and dangerously dry conditions in the garage so I have my hand press (breech lock style) and an "auxillary" set of accessories (scale, etc) in the desk in my office...I go get the dies I want and bring them in and load away...some inconvenience with changing dies/lock settings and dumping spent primers, but this is a hobby...not a production line...if it takes a bit longer, who cares?

Can't count the number of 45 Colt I've loaded with the hand press but a boat load...same with 38 special and 357 mag. When I'm done, everything fits back in my desk drawer and the dies go back into the bench in the garage..

I have found, that its annoying to use the same set of dies with both my hand press and my bench press. Im thinking on trying to figure out the difference and reduce down one of the washer that comes with a special/magnum die set, so that I can set my dies for the bench press, and use the shim for the reduced thickness of the hand press.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast