RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What You Should Do in an Active Shooter Situation

Love Life
    Just don't be like the CCW holder who tried to intervene at the Walmart shooting.

A) Violence of action
    B) Commit and stay committed
    C) Second guess afterwards
    D) Good luck

I have no plans or plans of action for an active shooter scenario. I'll react as the situation dictates, unless I get perforated first.

ETA: It's not just the Rambo wannabes who suck. Plenty of good ol' boys give epic fail proof at the 7 yd pistol line and 50 yd rifle line every weekend.

ETA: It's not just the Rambo wannabes who suck. Plenty of good ol' boys give epic fail proof at the 7 yd pistol line and 50 yd rifle line every weekend.

Yep, and if you need proof just watch the gun fails on YouTube.

I'm not going to brag about my shooting abilities, but I will say I have a little smidgen of common sense.

Boolit Master
    I don't even carry a bandaid in my wallet anymore. I have a almost useless first aid kit in my truck. Yes, I watched the video and took the course at work for both active shooter and first aid/CPR/PED training.

Civilian armed at an active shooter crime scene is likely a target for law enforcement even if he has saved a bunch of lives. Egress the scene ASAP even if you have a weapon or stay and try to be a hero. You make the call.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Civilian armed at an active shooter crime scene is likely a target for law enforcement even if he has saved a bunch of lives. Egress the scene ASAP even if you have a weapon or stay and try to be a hero. You make the call.Tim
    If I just happen to be carrying that day and they come a knocking - I think I'll stick around, as john law won't be coming for at least 20 minutes and it'll be over one way or another in less than 120 very long seconds.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

If it is an active shooter situation....meaning someone is already slaughtering people left and right.....shoot the shooter as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    There's a lot of us old fat guys that have lots of combat experience & carry guns. I think if the scumbags happen to do their thing & we are around, the scenario will be a lot different. We may be slower but I'll guarantee we're just as mean & you don't forget how to kill. Plus most of them, like me, probably practice alot & are always in the "Sheepdog" mode.
    "Too much talk…too many what-ifs…waaay tooo much 'Fear Factor' being broadcast...brainy people dominate the conversation with their statistics and woe…they do this and in so many instances it's the sheep 'baahing' at the sheep…bend over, hide and kiss your grass goodbye…
    Sheepdogs are born with the instinct to react…when those dogs are vets, it is all the better…what they have learned in service is difficult to convey to someone who has not marched in their boots. In the mind of that dog…he has been there done that..don't yank his chain! He is prepared to sacrifice his life for his fellow man and that is not the issue in his/her mind…it is not a consideration.
    In the sad event when this happens again, and only when a CCW does react…chances are he/she will be a vet.! Wonder how the news will handle that?
    Heroes don't do it for accolades or medals…they are just made that way…it is completely normal for them.
    And yes…they are capable of seeing after the wounded."

Semper Fi is not just a saying…it is a characteristic. charlie

Several, in the San. Cal killings, survivers said well when I first heard the pop,pop, pop, I thought it was just another training drill, simular to the other ones we had. Sometimes over practicing drills can cause people to get killed cause they delay the exiting phase. All of us react to differant stimulous. Some find safe space ASAP. Others have to access the sounds and sight then their brain says run. Every second you pause you come closer to being the statistic, but you don't want to just runoff any direction crying for help. You have to think your actions thru in that fraction of a second. I don't know if I would stay and bring the fight to the bad guy or try to find high ground. Hope I don't have to decide, but god willing I will do the right thing at the right time.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    There's a lot of hand-wringing over an armed civilian being confused as the shooter, or over the fact that many gun owners have a hard time hitting a close stationary target with all the time in the world. To me it's sort of like saying you won't wear a parachute because you might get strangled by the lines or end up landing on a power substation.

Most of us could use more training and practice, myself included. Some who own guns for self defense barely know how to load them. I don't discourage those people from protecting themselves, rather I encourage them to learn and to practice. We all had to start somewhere. The defeatist talk is nothing but ammo for the anti-gun agenda, IMO.

The easiest way to win a gun fight is not be in one!
    Should you find yourself in one in an involuntary manner I guess you'd probably want to have one too.
    Hard focus on the front sight!
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Running is the first and best option; if that isn't available, hiding somewhere secure is the next option; if that isn't available, fight back.

There is no fourth option.
    +1, liability being what it is.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    "Too much talk…too many what-ifs…waaay tooo much 'Fear Factor' being broadcast...brainy people dominate the conversation with their statistics and woe…they do this and in so many instances it's the sheep 'baahing' at the sheep…bend over, hide and kiss your grass goodbye…
    Sheepdogs are born with the instinct to react…when those dogs are vets, it is all the better…what they have learned in service is difficult to convey to someone who has not marched in their boots. In the mind of that dog…he has been there done that..don't yank his chain! He is prepared to sacrifice his life for his fellow man and that is not the issue in his/her mind…it is not a consideration.
    In the sad event when this happens again, and only when a CCW does react…chances are he/she will be a vet.! Wonder how the news will handle that?
    Heroes don't do it for accolades or medals…they are just made that way…it is completely normal for them.
    And yes…they are capable of seeing after the wounded."

Semper Fi is not just a saying…it is a characteristic. charlie

+1.

Semper Fi.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

I was quite amused at the "training" that the San Bernardino Board Of Health employee's were given in the case of an active shooter....
    " get under the table, be quite and don't call attention to yourself"....Sounds like the instructions we were given in grade school in case of a nuke bomb attack..."take any sharp objects from your pockets and get under your desk"....
    Both totaly useless and ineffective. One emplyee said " there wasn't any place to hide. "
    Just being still gave the shooters a better chance to shoot you, if I can't shoot back....a moving target might be harder to hit.
    Turkey shoot for sure.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Impossible to say.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I was quite amused at the "training" that the San Bernardino Board Of Health employee's were given in the case of an active shooter....
    " get under the table, be quite and don't call attention to yourself"....Sounds like the instructions we were given in grade school in case of a nuke bomb attack..."take any sharp objects from your pockets and get under your desk"....
    Both totaly useless and ineffective. One emplyee said " there wasn't any place to hide. "
    Just being still gave the shooters a better chance to shoot you, if I can't shoot back....a moving target might be harder to hit.
    Turkey shoot for sure.
    Gary
    You got to get the birds to flush to get a shot at them.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    You got to get the birds to flush to get a shot at them.

Tim
    Not if you are after meat.

Boolit Master
    My perspective is that if I am in a situation that is only a property crime I am not going to get involved if possible. It just isn't worth the potential problems that could arise; however if it is a situation where someone's life is in danger I will respond to the best of my ability. I don't consider myself to be a great pistol shot, but am confident I can easily outshoot the average police officer which is probably not saying much.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

In Remembrance
    My take is an active shooter is just that, not someone holding a gun for the purpose of robbery. In the case of a nutcase gunning down everybody he can, I would hope any armed person would try open up on him, without nworrying about what ifs until it is all over.

Boolit Grand Master

My active shooter training is a bit old and probably outdated but at any rate I won't reveal what I've learned or planned on an open forum. Two things that we all need to think about, you need to have action plans for this scenario and some must include the possibility that you won't be able to return fire, for whatever reason.
    To paraphrase an old saying: if you get in a gun fight plan on getting shot. Just be sure your plans also include killing the miscreant who shot you and of course, surviving your wounds. Most handgun wounds are survivable and many rifle wounds are as well. The wrong mental mindset is often fatal even when the wounds are not.
    And no, I'm no armchair commando. I do, however, have a little experience with putting bad guys on the ground quickly and decisively without firing a shot.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been close to an active shooter and also had someone firing at me during an elk hunt on the Indian Reservation here in Az. No opportunity to get involved in the first one but I did trail the guy shooting at me for about a mile before he left in a vehicle. At the first shot I hid, the second shot confirmed where he was so I started stalking him but never got close enough to shoot back. Where we were at any type of help was too far away and we were out of cell phone range. The Indian Police did not seem to care as I did not get hit.
    My wife and I camp a lot in the motor home where help is not readily available so my thoughts on this for protection is one of my revolvers that I can hit a man with up to about 100 yards and a rifle in the motor home. While not mass shooting there have been a few in campgrounds along with the escaped prisoners that killed the couple traveling with a travel trailer that they kidnapped from a rest area.
    Really sucks having to think about someone trying to kill innocents but best to be prepared.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast