MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper yet accurate beam powder scale suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Cheaper yet accurate beam powder scale suggestions?

In my MI reloading room, I use a RCBS 505 beam scale to check the loads my Lee Perfect Powder Measure drops or loads that I use scoops I've made for particular load. It is a nice scale but was fairly pricey if I remember correctly. I want to get a cheaper beam scale to take to AZ to leave there but I don't want to break the bank - yea I know - you get what you pay for. I have a Frankfort Arsenal electronic scale but I just don't trust it (from previous experiences with it) - I'd rather depend on gravity.

I am primarily going to be loading pistol cartridges out there. 38 Colt Short, 38 Spl. and 45 Colt. I'm using Red Dot, Bulls Eye and Unique. Grain weights vary from 1.8 gr. of Bulls Eye, 2.0 grains Red Dot for 38 Colt short to 3.5 gr. of Bulls Eye for 38 Spl. and 6.0 gr. of Red Dot for the 45 Colt. My Unique load for my 45 Colt is 8.0 grains so that would probably be the maximum grain weight . . . .

I have looked at the Lee beam scale that Titan has for $25 but am finding varied reviews ranging from "boat anchor" to "like a lot".

What say you on an inexpensive scale just for checking the above weights? Lee or another brand?

Suggestions/experiences appreciated. If the Lee is accurate/reliable enough (+ or 1/10 gr.) then that would probably be sufficient. If there are problems with it - what other scale? I can't tell from the illustration of the Lee if it has an adjustable foot on the bottom (like the RCBS, etc.) to zero it in on slightly off level counter tops, bench tops, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions. As an added note - I've looked on flabby but the used RCBS 505, etc. seem to bring top price for "used" scales as do some of the other well known brands.

Boolit Master
    Billy the Lee doesn't have an adjustable foot to level it but there is an adjuster to zero the scale so that allows for unlevel surfaces. The scale itself is accurate enough...probably more than it needs to be. A single flake of powder will drive it from too little to too much. Also there's no dampening of the pointer movement so it can take forever to stop moving. Any breeze, even an exhaled breath, will have it bouncing. Setting the adjustment for weight takes a careful eye and you really need to pay attention. The instructions are vague. I used one for a long time and it will work for your needs but if a used 505 pops up they're sooooo much easier. Audie...the Oldfart..

Boolit Master
    I think the Lee is the only beam scale you can get new for less than $60. It is quirky but it is more than sufficiently accurate for reloading and would seem to suit your purpose and budget.

My two cents

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Used RCBS 505 or a Redding!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...or__039__Scale I know it's more than $60 ($69.95), but it is accurate.

Billy: the problem you run into with such light charges is that scale must be "very free operating." IE: it must show obvious movement when you drop a few kernels of powder in. Obviously a Balance type of scale is going to be the only one that can do this.

I got an RCBS 1010 last year and have been loading all my target loads for my rifles using it along with one of those little RCBS Drop Tubes with the Trickler in the tube.

Last week I was loading some .303's for the Saturday Silhouette shoot and was running 42 gr of W748. The Powder measure was dropping about .1-.2 low and I was trickling the rest in.w748 is very fine grained ball powder and the amounts I was trickling in were "Miniscule" to say the least but I could still see the movement of the beam easily.

For giggles I got out my Redding Gen 1 scale which I originally bought in 1971 to supplement my first Lee Loader. When set at the same charge level It worked exactly like the 1010 did. Completely predictable and easy to see changes of .1 with complete clarity.

I would suggest this type of scale for you based on that test.

I'd think you could find one on Ebay for $25-35. easy.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post

I have looked at the Lee beam scale that Titan has for $25 but am finding varied reviews ranging from "boat anchor" to "like a lot".
    I have the Lee scale and oldfart1956 is exactly right about the way it behaves.
    It's also difficult to adjust the poise if you ever want to weigh a different charge. There is a tiny little plastic lock pin that is F-ing near impossible to push in. I assumed it would loosen up a little, but after more than a year it was still a giant PITA and I ended up buying a 505.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I like the Lee. I have two of them and use them for all of my powder measurements. I have a couple of 505s, but like the Lee better for powder. I have a set of check weights that I use before every loading block of brass (50 cases) and it works great.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    For your situation, I think Randy has the ideal solution. The old Redding No 1 is an excellent and much undervalued scale.

The No 1 is a very well made scale, the beam graduations are nicely engraved, rather than a printed tape applied, as almost all beam scales are now.
    The scale has a 0-350 grain range, making it more suited to powder weighing and solid cast iron base. The knife edges are much more substantial than all modern scales and can easily be tweaked to show a single kernel of powder.
    These are always available on Ebay for $10-$25 and a far better buy than a recent Chinese/Mexican RCBS/Dillon scale.

The thing that puts people off is that these scales are not magnetically damped, they are however oil damped which works very well, you can change the viscosity of the oil to suit your damping needs or run them with no damping if you prefer.

I spent countless hours individually weighing charges of 1.6 gns of Bullseye for my .32 Pardini match pistol - I know tedium

Boolit Grand Master

I just won a Bair scale in the original box for $25.++ plus shipping. Most of my scales were bought there, but one was a broken RCBS 1010 that I sent in and they sent me a new 1010. Look for deals on eBay.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Just this minute got a set of scales in the post that need looking at. These look almost new but the knife edge bearing are so far out of alignment the knife edges are actually touching the scale body.

Boolit Grand Master

My first scale in '69 was a Lee Safety Scale. I used it for several years before a messy divorce necessitated the sale of all my reloading stuff. While not the absolute best beam scale available it does have several things going for it. It's not overly expensive (not cheap, just judicious use of modern materials and manufacturing). If it isn't actually broken (as in pieces) it is accurate and repeatable. It is the only scale I've seen with a locking poise (a safety measure. I have a good Lyman/Ohaus scale that if the beam is bumped or the pan remove too quickly, the 1/10th poise will jump "heavier"). I can adjust the poise and lock it in place, so no surprises halfway through a powder charging session. It does have a "plastic strip spring" dampening system, but it isn't really effective for speed. It is fully adjustable, although not for "level" but easily zeroed with a brass nut system. The "bad" stuff about a Lee Safety Scale; many people can't/won't learn how to read a vernier scale, seems to be beyond the reach of many reloaders. Yep, it often takes longer for the Lee scale to "center", but I can weigh a 1/4"x1/4" piece of printer paper quite easily. The major "down side" of the scale is the name "Lee". Way too many potential users, and tool snobs think anything with the name Lee on it is cheap and not worth owning, aka "Lee Haters".

I still have a Safety Scale, and the one I own is mebbe 20 years old and I can still consistently weigh a gnat's eyelash accurately...
    Last edited by mdi; 12-08-2015 at 01:13 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I bought an older second hand Lyman scale off ebay for about $25 and it has bee working great. I use it to check the same basic loads that you do.
    I picked up a set of check weights to make sure it was correct. Mine weighs .2 grains heavy consistently. Since I know that, I can adjust for it quite easily.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Remember buy quality and you will have a life time of service from your scale. That is one thing not to scrimp on. Redding, 505 older ones 1010 older ones ohaus some of my scales been in service 45 years. And get good check weights.

Not a big fan of the Lee Safety scale; but it works well within it's limits.

If you want to test a charge to a set weight, then it works fine. Set the weight, and dump powder in the scale. If the needle is centered, you're good to go. Same if you are checking boolits for variance.

Trying to measure an unknown weight is more time consuming. I find the Vernier scale harder to read and adjust than a multi poise scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    Remember buy quality and you will have a life time of service from your scale. That is one thing not to scrimp on. Redding, 505 older ones 1010 older ones ohaus some of my scales been in service 45 years. And get good check weights.
    This is the route I took.
    Quality vintage scales in excellent condition.
    Ohaus 10-10 - paid ~ $100
    RCBS/Ohaus 5-10 - paid ~ $50
    They are fantastic and I expect them to be in service longer than I am.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Most of the scales mentioned will do a great job. Most of the problems with low level charges are operator error.

Some things such as allowing dust to collect on the beam and in the agate bearings, so also think of: barely perceptible wind drafts, as when air vents start and stop air currents in the area, looking differently at the beam pointer, moving and then setting the pan differently, adding powder differently on the pan, center, side, opposite side.

If you want to work with very low charges you must pay attention.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master

Look in the mirror and say:

I am frugal and even cheap at times.
    Then say I like the way I look and don't want that to change because of a mistake.

Buy a good scale
    Option 2 pack up what you have and take it with you.
    Repack it and take it home.

Rewards--it cost you nothing and you learn how to pack small items.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    Not a big fan of the Lee Safety scale; but it works well within it's limits.

If you want to test a charge to a set weight, then it works fine. Set the weight, and dump powder in the scale. If the needle is centered, you're good to go. Same if you are checking boolits for variance.

Trying to measure an unknown weight is more time consuming. I find the Vernier scale harder to read and adjust than a multi poise scale.
    everything he said. The Lee is accurate and measures just as my RCBS505 does, it's just not made for "hunting" what a given charge weighs. It's made to measure a "set" weight; adjust your powder dispenser until that weight is acquired.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thank you all for your kind responses and advice/experiences - it is greatly appreciated!

Like anything in life . . . you get what you pay for and while I'm frugal at times, there's no use of being too frugal and then having to "re-do what you done"!

I did a lot of looking around at both new and used and am surprised at what some of the used ones go for on flabby . . . but then again . . . they are good scales and some not made anymore.

Gray Wolf - I was about to do what you suggested for "Option 2" - pack up my RCBS 505 well and take it out and bring it back. Currently, we make the drive every year but my wife has to do the driving as I don't feel comfortable doing it with my eyesight. We take four days doing it and God Bless her, she's a "trooper" in doing the driving and I sit and do the navigating so we don't miss our turns! LOL

I had some contact with several members and I ended up buying what looks like a decent RCBS 5-10 so I'm sure that will do the trick for what my needs are . . . plus it should last my lifetime or what's left of it! Then someone else can get some use out of it. This trip out, I'm taking duplicate die sets, etc. and then can leave them out there - I have a RCBS Jr2 single stage out there to do the reloading on so I'll be all set hopefully if I don't forget anything! At some point, I'm sure we will not be driving but rather flying or we may be considering making it permanent out there.

At any rate - thanks so much for you all taking the time to reply - that's what's so nice about this site - people helping people! Blessings to all for a safe and happy holiday season and Merry Christmas to all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast