Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone make a 9mm expander for the Dillon with a longer expander section?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    Perfect, thanks for the measurements! I'll probably just use a die grinder as setting up the lathe with involve building a workbench which is unfortunately down the list of honeydos after finishing the basement.

Dillon claims I'm the only one that has had a problem with the F funnel, I find that hard to believe.
    You are far from the only person who has had this problem. I made several calls to Dillon on this matter, they always maintained that I was doing something wrong. This is one area where there no BS warranty is BS.

Boolit Master
    why cant they just manufacture a funnel for cast bullet 9mm ?

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    You are far from the only person who has had this problem. I made several calls to Dillon on this matter, they always maintained that I was doing something wrong. This is one area where there no BS warranty is BS.
    I contacted them about 9mm depth and diameter also. They gave me the same BS. Told me I needed to set the expander down farther for more flare if I was having trouble starting a bullet. DUGH. I had no issue starting a bullet. I seriously don't think they have a clue.

IN addition Dillon's 38 special expander does not have a length to facilitate full wad cutter seating depth.

What I do with 9x19mm and 38 full Wad cutters. Lube and size in my single stage. Tumble clean brass. Then install a Lyman M die in station #1 to expand the case and seat a primer. I prefer to lube those tapered cases anyway.
    Last edited by GabbyM; 12-17-2015 at 07:16 AM.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I agree that the Dillon Expanders for 9mm and .357 are too small (for my guns). I made my own on the lathe. The Dillon Expander for the 9mm swagged the boolit down to .354, the .357 Expander swagged it down to .356. The 9mm one I made leaves the boolit at .358 and the .357 leaves it at a tad over .360. Both of the expanders I made also go deeper into the case further so it does not squeeze the base of the boolit.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    how come you guys all have a lathe? Where did you get it?

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    how come you guys all have a lathe? Where did you get it?
    I saved for mine, it only took about 15 years. Now that I have it, my wife refers to it as "The Mistress!"
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    how much does it cost

Boolit Mold
    I dont load for 9mm but for .358 lead I use a lyman m die in station 1 of my 550.
    The dillon expander on station 2 is .354 so I adjust it to flare the case just a little.

I do the same thing with 45 acp using .452 lead.

Boolit Buddy

Here is something else to think about. I cast the Lee .452 200 gr SWC. Since switching from loading these on my Square Deal B to the 650, I've had issues with 1 or 2 in 10 not passing the plunk test. Been pulling my hair out over it. I switched to the MBF funnel/expander and still have the problem. The MBF does make the bullet sit solidly in the case but I still had the issue you have. So, after studying what was happening....looks like the bullet seating die does not hold a bullet in perfect alignment with the case. If the bullet is even slightly cocked, the seating stem just pushes it in which bulges the side of the case slightly. This causes the completed round to fail the plunk test. So I ordered the Uniqutek bullet seating stem for the Dillon die. It presses on the shoulder, not the tip. I have only reloaded 500 rounds since then but I've only had 1 round not pass the plunk test. This might not be your issue but I would look at how stable the bullet is in the seating stem. I pulled my stem out and set a bullet in it. It wobbled all over. Put it in the new stem and it is very stable. This seating stem obviously keeps the bullet from going in crooked. I don't have this problem with my 9mm Lee 124 LRN in my Dillon dies. Check your seating stem. Might be something there.

Boolit Bub
    I know I'm very late to the game here, but providing info for prosperity.

My 9mm powder funnel mics at .353. My 38/357 funnel mics at .355

To get the 357 funnel into action for 9mm, I ground the bottom of the powder die back using a sander. Goes pretty quick. The trick is that you have to also take off about 1.5 turns of the thread off the powder die--otherwise, the thread contacts the shellplate and the die stops going down (in spite of how much you grind off). File the threads back first!

Even then I had to cut the powder die back past the shoulder on the inside that retains the powder funnel. Then I used a center punch around the bottom of the powder die in a half dozen places to stake the powder funnel so that it wouldn't drop out the bottom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12