Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: need new powder

Boolit Master

need new powder

I am going to need a new powder for my handguns as what I have used in the past has been discontinued. I have 9 MM 357 Mag and 41 Mag , all shoot both light and heavy boolets. would like to use 1 powder for them all . What would you recomend?

HS6, unique, bluedot, 800x, the list can get really big. What kinda powder do you perfer. Something fine grained like titegroup or win 231 or something bulky like unique.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Are you using a single-station press or a progressive machine?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    load on a single-station press, not rich enough to have a progressive machine. would like a fine grain like win 231, been thinking about titegroup if I can find it

Titegroup will work but you may like Hs6 better. It will give an almost full case with the 9mm and is my personal favorite for max loads in the 9 and it'll get you good velocity out of the 357 and 41. Not a the fastest magnum powder out there but it's a good middle of the road.

Boolit Master
    Found a can of titegroup yesterday that was the only pistol powder they had, now have to wait untill i get my new hodgdon book .

Hodgdon Book? What's a book?

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What would you recommend?
    ETR7 ( Spanish CSB-1) from Expansion Industries. It is Titegroup compatible and$16.50/lb in 4# jug. Burns clean and charges accurately. I'm using it for 9mm - 380 - 44-40 - 45LC - 45ACP and 12ga shotshells
    http://expansion-industries.com/relo...ol-powder.html
    Regards
    John

Banned
    I think Outpost was hinting that some powders meter better in the powder measure of a progressive press than others.

If you are not using a progress press, Unique could probably fill the need, so could Blue dot.

If you want something that meters better, AA#9 could work but would be a bit slow for the lighter 9mm loads.
    I really like WSF for 9mm loads but it is not well suited for the magnum revolver cartridges. WW231 and Bullseye will both work for the 9mm and 357mag loads but will not give the best velocity in a bigger case like the 41 mag, but it might work....?

Boolit Master
    rototerrier a book as in bound sheets of paper and can go where your computer can't. found a pound of titegroup no other pistol powder in stock so will have to use what I found. never heard of ETR7 Expansion Ind. found little info on there website. So I guess titegroup is it

The titegroup will work fine. It won't give you the full velocity that the 357 and 41 are capable of but at least you will be able to shoot them.

Boolit Master
    If it gets the slug from point A to point B and I can hit what I'm shooting at I'm good with that. Who knows may have to use it on Q-Tips

Moderator Emeritus

Red Dot or AA2 for light loads, power pistol for medium, AA9 for heavy loads in the 41, 357.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Grafs still has Vectan. I find it very good for pistols. Try the shotgun powders for use in pistols. Much data online for this.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Glad someone brought this up. Got interested so got out some book's, four total, and found my two newest book's were copyrighted in 1972!

Years ago I came into a suitcase full of Super Ballistite. Don't remember where I got data for it from but did come up with using the same data as Bulls Eye. Worried about it so don't use it any more.

I've had a few 357's and after firing a jacketed load in the first one, I went to shooting cast bullet's in them and using 38 Spec cases and data. Red Dot and Herco was what I used mostly.

Boolit Master
    Red dot in 9mm ,38-357 ,and 45 acp works for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Unique