WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simple food

Fireman's Casserole
    Brown 1 lb. hamburger.
    Mix one can each of Rotel and Cream of Chicken soup, add to meat.
    In a casserole dish, layer the bottom with Tostitos chips.
    Add 1/2 of the soup mix, then a handful of shredded cheddar cheese.
    Add another layer of chips, the rest of the soup, and another handful of cheese.
    Heat in oven enough to melt cheese on top.
    Enjoy.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Mary. Your hamburger/onion/Cream of Chicken soup over a plateful of mashed taters is awful hard meal to beat, too. And real simple and quick.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Can't beat the yoke mixing with the potatoes...

mmmmm indeed.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

simple food? Pot roast.

season then sear a chuck roast. Add and onion and some garlic to loosen the fond. braise it for 2 hours with aromatics, 1/2 cup of red wine and beef broth added as the liquid. add some root vegetables, namely taters and carrots and continue the braise for another hour. Thicken with flour to make gravy.
    Done.

I'm a member of AA. Anorexics anonymous. It's a daily struggle I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

In Remembrance

My Grandma and Dad used to make a simple dish that was cleaned out right to the bowl.
    We called it creamed tomatoes and biscuits, our simplified version was a 2 qt can of tomato juice, a couple 2-3 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of sugar. Put that in a pan to boil and make up a packet of country gravy mix, as the tomoto juice mix starts boiling slowly wisk in the gravy mix so it thickens up the whole mix then pepper to taste and serve over biscuits or serve as tomato soup. Very simple and none is ever tossed out.

No Bake Cheesecake

Graham cracker crust
    Tub of Cool Whip
    block of cream cheese.

Beat the cream cheese into the Cool Whip until smooth. Pour into a the crust and refrigerate over night.

The next day serve with fruit of choice, I love this with cooked down blueberries!
    Want to save some calories ?
    Take cottage cheese and process until smooth in the blender
    use instead of cream cheese - if you want more flavor
    use a cup of boiling water to dissolve a pkg of jello
    and put in the cottage cheese before folding into the cool whip.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Want to save some calories ?
    Take cottage cheese and process until smooth in the blender
    use instead of cream cheese - if you want more flavor
    use a cup of boiling water to dissolve a pkg of jello
    and put in the cottage cheese before folding into the cool whip.
    Wow, that sounds good!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Simple food? Was grinding 12 pounds of venison into burger when I saw a jar of chili mix (a Christmas present) sitting on the counter. Four pounds of venison didn't make it to the freezer, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

Dang chili was popular today, bowl of Texas red, ladle of pinto beans, 2 ladles of chili, some cheddar. There is NO tomato in this chili!

About 2 pounds of hand chopped chuck. I rendered the fat out of the trimmings, added the marrow bone and browned it off. Browned the meat in the fat I rendered, added a chopped onion and cooked that down a bit. Added 1/4 cup of mild chili poder and cooked that in the fat until it was aromatic. Cover with water, and a heaping tablespoon of better than bullion beef base. Simmered until the meat was close to done then added my finishing chili powder, my homemade super hot(about a teaspoon and a half) then simmered until the meat was falling apart tender. I sometimes thicken with masa flour but I am out.

Love Life
    1 14.9 oz Can Guinness
    1/2 shot Baileys Irish cream
    1/2 shot Jameson Irish Whiskey

Fill 20 oz glass with Guinness, slowly. Let the Guinness settle. While the Guinness is settling, put 1/2 oz of Jameson and 1/2 oz Baileys into 1 shot glass.

drop shot glass of mixture into glass of Guinness. Turn glass up and drink all down before shotglass hits bottom of the big glass.

Works as a meal and a sleep aid.

Boolit Grand Master

Dang chili was popular today, bowl of Texas red, ladle of pinto beans, 2 ladles of chili, some cheddar. There is NO tomato in this chili!

About 2 pounds of hand chopped chuck. I rendered the fat out of the trimmings, added the marrow bone and browned it off. Browned the meat in the fat I rendered, added a chopped onion and cooked that down a bit. Added 1/4 cup of mild chili poder and cooked that in the fat until it was aromatic. Cover with water, and a heaping tablespoon of better than bullion beef base. Simmered until the meat was close to done then added my finishing chili powder, my homemade super hot(about a teaspoon and a half) then simmered until the meat was falling apart tender. I sometimes thicken with masa flour but I am out.

Looks great, Mary! I was out of masa as well, it was the only thing that kept this pot of chili from being simply awesome. I'll almost always use a mix or recipe exactly as directed the first time but next time it WILL be better, even if it was pretty darned good this time. Served with a pinch of Mexican blend cheese and a bottle off Pinot Noir from Argentina; life is good on my little spot on the prairie!

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    1 14.9 oz Can Guinness

Fill 20 oz glass with Guinness, slowly. Let the Guinness settle. While the Guinness is settling, put 1/2 oz of Jameson and 1/2 oz Baileys into 1 shot glass.

drop shot glass of mixture into glass of Guinness. Turn glass up and drink all down before shotglass hits bottom of the big glass.

This is the one. Dont get much simpler that that.

Moderator Emeritus

I often sub a good lager for some of the water but I am out of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Looks great, Mary! I was out of masa as well, it was the only thing that kept this pot of chili from being simply awesome. I'll almost always use a mix or recipe exactly as directed the first time but next time it WILL be better, even if it was pretty darned good this time. Served with a pinch of Mexican blend cheese and a bottle off Pinot Noir from Argentina; life is good on my little spot on the prairie!

Boolit Master

I like grits in the morning with a couple of over-easy eggs on top. Salt and pepper to taste and mix it up. It sticks with you and is easy to make.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy

Eggs on shredded wheat!
    Anybody ever tried eggs on shredded wheat for a simple breakfast? Ya fry your eggs up (2 eggs) and take the shredded wheat (2 pillows) and put hot water over them real quick and then I use another bowl over the top to push down on shredded wheat and drain. Put a pat of butter on each shredded wheat and put eggs on top, mash it all up and chow down. I just use hot water from the tap but my mom used to boil water in a pan and dump over em. Good eating there now. jroc
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Simple breakfast: cup leftover rice in cereal bowl. Make depression in rice. Add either butter or sour cream. Crack egg in depression and microwave for 1.5 minutes on high. Season with some cracked pepper if you like. This is a variation on a suggestion from the vet for a dog with stomach upset, so we nicknamed it dog food, but simple, quick, and tasty breakfast is what it is.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

We had household soup last night, with a fresh pone of cornbread. The soup contained leftovers from the fridge, some pinto beans, black eyed peas, mac and cheese, sweet potatoes and a fresh quart of tomatoes. Sure was good, the sweet taters made the soup sweet, but with the cornbread it was really good. I might have left out something, I don't know. I do know I plan on having some for lunch.

Have a blessed day.

Ah...fond memories. We called them 'Irish Car Bombs.'

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    1 14.9 oz Can Guinness

"Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Love Life
    I didn't want to use the "B" word, lol.