Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman 310 tool and Gas Checks

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 310 tool and Gas Checks

I have been using my 310 tool for a while to make Cast loads for my 30-06's. Its a ton of fun and the loads turn out great. A few weeks back i picked up a box of assorted cast bullet equipment at an estate sale. When i got it home and started cleaning everything up, i discovered a couple sets of bullet sizing dies for a 310 tool. After testing it out on plane based bullets i attempted to have it seat a gas check and size at the same time. I placed a CG on the end of an un-lubed and un-sized bullet and I could not make it work. Am i doing something wrong or was this tool never meant to do that kind of thing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I only have one bullet sizing die for a 310, and have not used it; but my understanding is that the bullets need to be lubed before sending them through the die.

Lyman's gas checks before they started buying them from Hornady anyway, were more of a slip fit they didn't crimp on the shank of the bullet. I really don't want to try crimping gas checks on with a 310 tool.

Seating gas checks on the other hand, can be done by setting the boolit on the base squarely and tapping it with a small mallet.

RObert