Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: What model of rifle did this start as?

What model of rifle did this start as?

Been rebarreled to .308 Win.
    .310" groove diameter x 10" twist.
    Time for a scope and boolits.
    Gonna look at what scopes and mounts to consider. Maybe a repro?

Boolit Master
    I would say by the stud thru the grip that would be the Sling swivel on the left side and the screw holding the front band on, it is a VZ-24 from Czechoslovakia.
    It is just a standard Large Ring Mauser 98 and any parts for the Military Mauser 98's will fit it.

Too bad it was turned from 7.92 into a 7.62.
    If it doesn't work out perhaps an unusual .338 Federal is in my future.

Boolit Buddy
    During the 1950's and early 1960's quite a few 1898-pattern Mauser rifles of WW2 vintage were rebarreled to .308 (7.62 NATO). The case head being the same this made for a very easy changeover. One of the largest markets was the Israeli Defense Ministry which needed rifles in large quantities but at low cost. NATO's adoption of the 7.62X51 round pretty much assured ready supplies of ammunition, while production of 8X57 was pretty minimal during the 20-or-so years following WW2.

[QUOTE=Good Cheer;3459901]Too bad it was turned from 7.92 into a 7.62.

Curiosity compels me to ask why? What's wrong with 7.62mm (308)? I have a pair of very similar rifles made for Israel in 7.62mm and they are very accurate. The .308 bore permits many reloading possibilities. I also have a pair of VZ-24s in the original 8x57mm that are excellent rifles. Here, it seems you have the best of both. As for collectability, the altered rifle is no less collectable than the original, just a variation of same.

Boolit Master
    yep Israeli. one other thing the Israelis removed all German markings.

Boolit Master
    Israel made some 98 actions at one time and there is an Israelis crest and markings on them.

[QUOTE=Der Gebirgsjager;3459976]
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Too bad it was turned from 7.92 into a 7.62.

Curiosity compels me to ask why? What's wrong with 7.62mm (308)? I have a pair of very similar rifles made for Israel in 7.62mm and they are very accurate. The .308 bore permits many reloading possibilities. I also have a pair of VZ-24s in the original 8x57mm that are excellent rifles. Here, it seems you have the best of both. As for collectability, the altered rifle is no less collectable than the original, just a variation of same.
    Mostly 'cause they used a .310 groove diameter barrel.
    I wondered why the 7.62 ammo wouldn't group.

But also because I have always enjoyed the 7.92. Got my first one from NRA for thirty-five bucks.

I think that the vz-24 were well built rifles. I've seen some that were pretty beat up in a past life. As a donor platform you have a good start, if a .312"x 308 Win boolit gun isn't in your plans.

Sounds like a fun project.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Reckon some heavy old molds need to be tried out before it ever goes through another change.
    Maybe I should inquire as to how to go about dressing her up with a scope and mounts so I tell how well things are going.

If it doesn't do well there is a version of the .338 with a little longer neck I've been itching to try. Got everything to load for it set aside but no rifle yet.

Boolit Master
    Check out the neck diameter on fired cases, and maybe load up the .308 cases with .311 bullets.
    I had one that was rebarreled with a .310 bore barrel, and I used the bullets from 7.62x54 and 7.62x39 that I pulled down from Spam Can super deals I picked up.

Good Cheer,

I like the classic STD Leupold Scope mounts and rings. However, that would entail a bolt bend or re-weld to a low profile and drilling and tapping the receiver and a safety rethink. Assuming a trigger upgrade is in order, Boyd and Thimney triggers have a side safety models that would solve the safety question. Lots of $$ in labor if you can't do these things yourself.

Or you can look into a scout style mount, that replaces the rear ladder site. A long relief scope is needed for such a setup. With this approach, the bolt and safety can remain original.

The VZ-24s I've seen have a large diameter stocks, compared to Kar98s, yet in walnut. Is the stock to remain or are you planning to restock the rifle? Another option might be to mount a peep site on the rear and file the inverted "V" front site to a blade. It really depends on what you want to with the rifle and how much money you'd like to invest.

I hope this helps,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 12-07-2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: safe to safety
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Attachment 155152Here's a pair of VZ-24s still in 8mm that I refinished. As I think they come close to the ideal K98-type rifle I altered the bolt on the one in the rear. Both are great shooters. About the .310 bore, I'll second trying .311 or .312 boolits...or bullets, for that matter! I'd wager that the outcome will be pleasing.

Boolit Master
    I find the vz24 are alot smoother working action and better machining than most or I should say it like this. I have never handled a 98 that was smoother working than the vz's.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Say fellas, with my eyes going south I'm having to go with glass a lot more.
    Are any yall familiar with the mounts and scopes sold by Accumounts?