RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stevens 325C in 30 WCF

Boolit Buddy

Stevens 325C in 30 WCF

While looking for a 30 WCF bolt gun this one came across my prow and was too good to pass up. It is in excellent overall condition although the collector (HA!) value was taken with the holes drilled for the scope mount. Complete with a vintage Lyman All-American 4x scope and covers. The stock wear is limited to palm-sweat discoloration, no dings and nary a scratch, recoil pad installed, and the bore is perfect. Barrel length is 21.5 inches.

After a half-dozen passes with Hoppes and Wipe-out, the patches came out clean. Whoever owned this rifle fired it darned little and cleaned it well. The trigger is...well...atrocious, breaking like a foot-thick stalagtite at 8 lbs. Gonna take some work. The chamber throat slugged at .311 with a .085 throat; the bore slugged at .3085/.3105 and has a 1-14 twist. The NOE 311175FN (Saeco 315) engraves very nicely with its .312 base and .307 bands; my 311299 not so well with the .302 nose. The 311041 should work well too; my 311284 isn't going fit.

The bolt is a collection of rings mounting the bolt guide, sticking out and rubbing against the action. I'm going to reduce these parts to slick up the bolt a bit. Some fine abrasive in oil should help as well. The stock will need bedding but I want to shoot it a bit to see how it is as-configured with the barrel band screw bedding. Some folks have brazed metal between the trigger guard housing to mount a rear-action bedding screw. I might flirt with using a Hogue grip screw used to go over a S&W frame cross-pin into which the Hogue bottom mounting screw fits.

Just under $300 OTD and in this condition I was happy to find it in this condition with a great scope and bore. Hey, it even has a Mannlicher bolt! Stevens quit making these in 1949, and I fancy it was made in 1948, my birth year. Retailed for a little under $100 back then, can you believe that is $1,000 in 2015 dollars? $300 of 2015 dollars would have been $30 1949 dollars, so I got a great 1949 deal...yeah, that's the ticket....

Shooting report to follow next week. Sorry about the upside-down pics.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151201_150706_resized.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	154983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151201_150853_resized.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	154984Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151201_151005_resized.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	154985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151201_152607_resized.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	154986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151201_150735_resized.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	154987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151201_150949_resized.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	154988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE 315 and Pound Cast.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	154989

Stevens 325C in 30 WCF

Following. I have a 325c 30-30 from that year. Nice woods gun.

Banned

Same thing as a Savage 340. I have a 340 and like it a lot, it was the first "small bore" I killed a deer with using cast. I also have a Stevens 322 in .22 Hornet, also a good cast shooter.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Very cool. Sure would like to see the Axis offered in .30 WCF.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

When I used to party hunt an individual had one of them. Kind of brings back memories. I used to tell people I wasn't bragging when I said I could outshoot him with a 357 mag pistol. He could not sight in the rifle. Another person in the party tried the rifle and shot a very tight group with it. They are said to be deadly with cast bullets. Enjoy the rifle.

DP

Boolit Master

I have a 340 which is very similar with a very similar throat(mounted a Weaver 2.5X on it). Mine is rough on the outside but is extremely accurate! A friend sold me the rifle with RCBS dies for $100.,boy does he regret that! Mine is very unfussy as to bullets. It shoots 311466 best but seems to shoot everything well. The only problem I had was when I tried plain base bullets, due to that throat I would get throat lead and accuracy would suffer. I solved that problem using the Lee 312 155 2R (AK bullet) without a GC. Using that bullet and 8-9 grs of shotgun powders like Herco,Steel,Bluedot it shoots about 2 moa@ 100yds @about 1300fps. Nice comfortable plinker. I fixed my trigger by soldering on a shim to cut sear contact to a minimum and now have a crisp 3 lb. trigger. That prevents the safety from engaging which is no problem for me as this is a range gun only. These old timers are great guns, enjoy yours.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Finally got out to light this one up yesterday. The rain let up, only got about half an inch but most came while at the range. Started out with 13, 14 and 15 gr of 2400 under the NOE 315 copy and 31141 boolits with some mixed range brass that was on hand. Nothing much until I bumped them up to 16.5 and boom! Groups!! but I ran out of brass. Two "groups" shot in the rain under very dark skies at 100 yards. The trigger was, surprisingly, stiff but crisp without creep. Only modification before firing was to put a piece of thin cardboard under the barrel at the fore end tip, where the wood showed the barrel to be rubbing. This one has promise.

The .538 group was shot, unfortunately, next to the target used sighting my new scope on an AR. The second group was two seperate firings, 3 in a string, then went back into the reloading room to fire two more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.03 group.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	155379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.538 group.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	155378

I just picked up a Savage 340 in 30-30

It's a bit rough around the edges, but for $159 out the door, I was happy!

Shoots the Lee 180gr with IMR 4064 nicely. Mine has Lyman receiver sights.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned

Doesn't look too rough to me. Great rifle for $159, especially with the sight.

Super Moderator

.............First time I took my daughter deer hunting she used my friends M340 in 30-30. I couldn't get it to shoot for rancid owl sweat. I was using jacketed to get it sighted in for the hunt. I scratched my head, cleaned and re-cleaned it. Finally I paid attention to the crown. It appeared that when the barrel was made and they crowned it (however that was done) either the tool was backed out and somehow it struck the muzzle a blow, or the barrel moved and re-struck the crowning tool.

My pal told me to go ahead and have it recrowned, which I did. Having that done it turned into a shooting essobee. I tried to buy it from my friend. He refused as it had belonged to his brother who had been killed while in the Navy. A few months ago I re-visited the idea with him again. He said his parents had it now, but he'd check with them. Haven't heard anything since so I guess I'll just drop the idea as I really don't need it. I just figured it might make a good cast shooter (I was hoping)

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

they make good cast shooters alright.
    both the stevens and the 340 are up to shooting very well and aren't fussy about boolit styles too much.

Boolit Buddy
    I just picked up a 340 to turn into a 38/55. I thought about shooting it before I sent it out for the rebore. If mine shot that good I would have to re-think my plans.

Quote Originally Posted by tim338 View Post
    I just picked up a 340 to turn into a 38/55. I thought about shooting it before I sent it out for the rebore. If mine shot that good I would have to re-think my plans.
    The first rule is Don't shoot the donor rifle!
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I just read some useful information on one of these rifles, as I was considering buying it. Here's the links:

Gunsmithing:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/guns...savage_340.htm

History:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%..._bolt_act.html

Banned

There's just something about those little rifles. They grow on you real quick, kinda like a puppy or something.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    There's just something about those little rifles. They grow on you real quick, kinda like a puppy or something.
    I know what you mean I never gave them a second look until I bought one. They are a slick little rifle. Now I am thinking I need more of them. I know where there is one for sale in .225 Winchester hmmm........ How rare are the 22 Hornets ?

Boolit Master

Kind of like the old Mossberg .22's, plain Jane, kind of homely but they shoot!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I think the .225 Win is the rarest of the lot. Lots of 30/30's out there and quite a few .222's. I think they also chambered it in .223 for a while, but if you are trying to collect a "set" then it is best not to pass on a .225 if you run across one.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a project over a year ago. Really nice shape outside, but has other issues that I haven't had time to dedicate to fixing. Mine came with Lyman peep, but the holes where stripped so either need to fix or take to gunsmith. Second my mag will not easily go in and is difficult to extract. You can tell previos owners had attempted to modify for fit without luck. So when funds become available that will be the first purchase.

Like others have said I love the 30WCF's have a few and always wanted one in a bolt gun. I have a feeling once I get it up and running this will be my go to woods, yard, lets shoot some boolits rifle. Consider me subscribed!