Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinner Peep

Boolit Buddy

Skinner Peep

Just received a new Skinner Peep for my 35 Rem 336 had glass on it but have somebody wants me to shoot a cowboy silhouette match and no glass allowed we shall see if my old eyes like the peep may get to sight it in this weekend but may go after the Rock Fish.
    Anybody else use this sight? I really like the look of it.
    Tony
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1443.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	154893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1442.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	154894
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1441.jpg  

Banned
    I have one on my Marlin 1894CS. I love it.

Steve in N CA

Attachment 154895

Boolit Master

Have one on my 357 Marlin 94, great sight!

I have been wanting one for my Marlin 45 colt 1894 Cowboy. However all my gun money seems to keep going to Al at NOE.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Buddy

Have not really been able to use irons since the cataract surgery peeps seem to be a lot better have shot a couple of rifles with peeps so figured I would give it a try.
    Yeah Al has gotten some of my money also (and likely to get more) just got a 35 xcb mold for a 358 win I am building but I have a feeling a few will find their way down the pipe of this rifle also but it would have to go a long way to match how it shoots with the RCBS 35-200 boolit

Boolit Grand Master

Skinner Peep

Does that answer your question
    I love them, especially w/ a Merit aperture.

If you look closely you can see the barrel mounted Skinner on this one.

Boolit Buddy

Dragon I almost went with the Black Gold it is a pretty sight nice looking rifles
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    I need to get one for mine, or turn the rear sight around.

Both the original inventor/owner (Dr. Tm Skinner) and the new owner (Mike ?) will help any customer (prospective or paid) with sighting issue(s) on their own rifle(s).

There is an area on Skinner's online order form to type in any variation/modification a buyer might want - for instance, I wanted a LoPro Peep with a 6-48 threaded stem ILO the larger stem intended for Marlin's, and they complied with my special order with no extra charge.

Their products are high quality items at a fair price - rugged, practical and not hard to look at, either.

Boolit Master
    I really like the sights and have one on my Marlin 1895, but why do they have to put that huge logo on all of them? Way too tacky to put on a fine firearm. I removed the logo on mine.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

I believe the logo is to ensure that a genie Skinner can be distinguished from another similar, but less well made, sight.

Boolit Buddy
    Got one on my Win 94 AE 30.30 I like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0565_opt (2).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	154971
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I have one on my Marlin 1894. I had to order a taller font sight from Skinner, too- but knew that was a 50/50 shot after reading their website.

I love mine. I think it's much better than the Marlin factory sight.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Skinner on my Marlin 336 30-30 and I love it. I shot a dandy Sitka blacktail this year with it and I have a friend who ordered one for a 300 Savage he will use in February on a muskox hunt. I really like that the Skinner sights are bomb proof. You don't have to worry about bending something or worry about loosing your zero.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    I have one on my Marlin 1894. I had to order a taller font sight from Skinner, too- but knew that was a 50/50 shot after reading their website.

I love mine. I think it's much better than the Marlin factory sight.
    I really get a good group using Leverevalution but the group is about a foot high. I have raised the rear sight as far as it will go. I also bought a front sight from Skinner for my 30.30. Was it hard to put the front sight on when you put yours on?

I have a load that is hitting dead on at 100 yards using 3031 so I'm not changing the sight until after deer season. But I really want to go with the leverevolution since it does group better for me.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    I really get a good group using Leverevalution but the group is about a foot high. I have raised the rear sight as far as it will go. I also bought a front sight from Skinner for my 30.30. Was it hard to put the front sight on when you put yours on?

I have a load that is hitting dead on at 100 yards using 3031 so I'm not changing the sight until after deer season. But I really want to go with the leverevolution since it does group better for me.
    if I understand you correctly, you are going the wrong way. Raising the rear sight will cause the group to print higher.

You should lower the rear sight.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

The front sights are extremely easy to push off. Takes about 30 seconds to get it off. You will spend more time filing the new sight.

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    if I understand you correctly, you are going the wrong way. Raising the rear sight will cause the group to print higher.

You should lower the rear sight.
    Yep -

Pac -

When adjusting a rear sight, move the sight in the direction you wish to move the boolit impact.. (POI)

When adjusting a front sight, move the sight in the OPPOSITE direction you wish to move the boolit impact.

Your high-shooting rifle should have a new/higher front sight to achieve zero with almost any top-mounted receiver peep sight.

Last edited by pietro; 12-07-2015 at 06:32 AM.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    It was a snap. Drifted the old one out (from right to left with the muzzle facing you) and tapped in the new one (from L to R in the same position). Took a small hammer and a file with me to the 100 yard range. Had to tap it a time or 2 at the range to get L/R correct, then filed on it a bit and watched the groups start to come up. Shoot a few, file a bit. Shoot a few, file a bit. I got the brass sight, so it filed easily. Took maybe a half hour, tops. I set the peep in about the middle of its travel, so I would have some wiggle room either way. The rifle is a 44 mag, so I figured 150 yards tops, more like 100 yards most of the time.

Sight adjustment rule: FORS. Front, opposite. Rear, same. You want your POI to drop, increase front sight height or drop your rear sight.
    The enemy of good is better.

Perma-Banned

three of my levers have them. I love them. not only do they look great but they are quick when you throw the gun to your shoulder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast