WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: New acquisition, chamber dimensions and questions

Boolit Mold

New acquisition, chamber dimensions and questions

Hello all,

Just recently acquired a springer 1903 in 375 whelen imp. High number but on the low side, with NS stamped bolt. Sporterized w/ bishop style stock, scope, 24" McGowan from the early 80's, magna ported (factory). The action was bedded but with only about 3oz of material. The barrel is full length bedded with about the same amount I used on the action of my savage #12 single shot 22-250. My grandfather carried one in WW1, Argonne Forest. Always wanted one and finally got around to getting one. A very beautiful rifle and a really good deal.

Anyway, I would like to make this into a cast boolit shooter. Nothing fancy, mainly for elk and black bear. Max range 300-350 yds. I slugged the bore and chamber today. Measurements to follow; excuse if names are off.

Barrel bore: .3685, Barrel groove: .374, Bore @ neck: .401, Freebore length: .415, Overall length to rifling: 3.010,

Overall length to .375 (stop on jacketed bullet ogive): 2.975, Max case length: 2.557.

The freebore dia tapers from .378 to .374 at the start of the rifling. The rifling is even and centered, very little wear & no signs of erosion evident. The gentleman provided me a number of fired cases for reloading. Most are trimmed to 2.435, by my reckoning that's about .115 short from what would be considered max trim to length. I'm assuming a length of 2.550 would be what I would want to trim my case's to. He stated that when he shot either jacketed or cast accuracy was about moa to a little under.

My questions are as follows; Would this be a good cast shooter given the tapered freebore? How do my chamber dimensions look in comparison to other rifles? Is this freebore too long & does this relegate shooting only long/heavy boolits? Where to get/what cartridges to use for fireforming that will get me to the case length that I need? Is it ok to shoot with these case's that are so short?

Thanks for your time.

Lee
    USN 80-86/ USS Texas CGN-39 83-86

There are other versions of 375 Whelen Improved

Did the owner give any reloading information - which cast boolit
    for example?

With .378 to .374 at the start of the rifling, I would assume he
    started with .379 cast boolit size at least.
    Last edited by Artful; 12-14-2015 at 08:54 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."