Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bartletts Hercules Unique Powder

Anyone still using this powder? I was thinking about trying it. Also if anyone in CA wanted to split an order that would be awesome.

Boolit Master
    I would love to give this a try Unique in a ball powder.
    Alliant BE-86 is reasonably close, though the loading data is slightly different.
    AA#5 seems (to ME) to burn at about the rate of Alliant Herco, but burns cleanly and meters well. AA#5 data & Alliant Herco data are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. I do not want this post to sound like I am saying that.

I'd LIKE to get a keg of the "Unique" that Jeff Bartlett has, but I have an 8# jug of Alliant Promo that I am still trying to whittle down. Even with the large volume at which Mr. Bartlett sells his powders, it is currently less expensive for me to buy Alliant Unique or 20/28 off the shelf. My reloading component supply is 2 miles away, and most of the powders that sell for over $32/lb are made by VV (they seem to work wonderfully, but not THAT "wonderfully").
    I sure don't need 6 jugs of "Unique", either. I am pretty sure that in the future, I will regret not getting some of this powder in the present. But right now, there's no way to justify the outlay.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I just noticed that Hodgdon CFE pistol was developed at the request of the US military. I compared the loads you all are sharing and they appear to be about the same as Hodgdon CFE load data. Do you think this Mil Surp powder and CFE could be the same powder?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    No, Russian Unique (Salute) is definitely not a flake powder. At least not what I have. Its closer to a ball powder in appearance than a flake.
    I got 30+ pounds of it. It definitely a flake powder. Red in color looks just like unique.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DA using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Am on my last jug of BR-5. Have been jabbing my Mrs. about a new order for more BR-5. Up to 10 grs. in .44 mag. SBH with cast 240gr. SWC's. 50/50 alloy with slight leading. Going to go 10.5 grs. next week with harder alloy and see what happens. I started out at 7.5 grs. and was just too light of a load. Have been working up from there over the last 6 months. For me, this is cheaper than actual Unique at my LGS..
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    No, I believe the Russian Unique was a flake powder.
    And gone when I heard about it. He used to have a dozen or more powders all the time in the good old days of cheap surplus powder.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I just ordered a whole lot of it. It had better be good. The last batch I got from him started off as a Hercules 2400 equivalent and by the time he got to my batch/order, all that remained was a SR4759 equivalent which is some really good stuff.
    A group of us bought 48 pound of the 4759 Clone. I think it was called 7641 back then. Over two orders I wound up with more than 25 pounds. I asked him to put as much in a jug as he could get and charge accordingly. He was happy to accomodate.

Great powder for all my cast boolit rifles. I have less than 8 pounds and have been using 4227 instead to stretch it out.
    I miss the days of plentiful and cheap surplus powder. Thast powder has to go back almost 15 years.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    I bought a few jugs of it in the hope it would be as useful as the IPP powder I bought a few years ago. (Also in the Unique speed range.)

I loaded my first test of it last night and shot it today. It metered very well. I am pleased with it.

9mm with a 135 LRN bullet and BR5 powder. I loaded 3.0 to 5.5 in 0.5 gr increments, to get a "feel" for the powder.

3.0 & 3.5 were too mild to cycle the pistol (Canik)

4.0 was a very accurate mild load. 5.0 was also quite accurate and snappy.

I will use 4.0 on paper and 5.0 on steel.

Banned

was interested in the br2 until I saw the price. 5lbs for 80 bucks. I bought pr200 from him (which is probably the same thing) just 5 years ago for 49 bucks for 6lbs. Id like some more because I'm down to about 10lbs but that's not much cheaper then aa2 (which is the same thing) my guess is that he got it a heck of a lot cheaper then that and is making a killing off of it because of shortages.

Banned

was interested in the br2 until I saw the price. 5lbs for 80 bucks. I bought pr200 from him (which is probably the same thing) just 5 years ago for 49 bucks for 6lbs. Id like some more because I'm down to about 10lbs but that's not much cheaper then aa2 (which is the same thing) my guess is that he got it a heck of a lot cheaper then that and is making a killing off of it because of shortages. Guess I just don't see why some get excited about this unique replacement that is a 100 bucks for 6lbs when you can get brand new unique on midway for 150 bucks for 8lbs and when its gone be able to buy another keg that is the same powder. When his br5 runs out your going to have to start load development all over again for any gun you use it in if you have to switch back to real unique. If he was back to even 10 bucks a lb I might consider it but not at the prices hes asking for it now.

Boolit Bub
    Kind of an update on my previous posts. I have been using the BR-5 in my 9.5 inch Super Redhawk in 44 mag with a 2.5-8 Luepold.
    I'm using 9.5 grains BR-5 with a 240 grain flat point plated Rainier bullet, CCI 300 primer. I consistently shoot 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards with a rest. The load is fairly mild, and burns really clean. I'm loading with a Dillon 550 B and the powder meters very consistent through the Dillon powder measure.
    I have not run any of these loads over a chronograph yet. I have some loads with both the BR5 and Unique at 9.5 grains loaded up for that purpose. I have a feeling the BR-5 loads will be somewhat slower than the Unique. Will post the results here after I get a chance to get the Chronograph out.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Guess I just don't see why some get excited about this unique replacement that is a 100 bucks for 6lbs when you can get brand new unique on midway for 150 bucks for 8lbs and when its gone be able to buy another keg that is the same powder. When his br5 runs out your going to have to start load development all over again for any gun you use it in if you have to switch back to real unique. If he was back to even 10 bucks a lb I might consider it but not at the prices hes asking for it now.
    Totally agree with Lloyd here...$100 for 6lbs=$16.67/lb, Powder Valley and Recob's Target Shop both have Unique @ $132.95 for 8lbs=$16.62/lb. No brainer for me at least.....
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123