Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bartletts Hercules Unique Powder

Boolit Master
    I'll be watching for your reports on how this Unique works out. I haven't been able to locate any Unique and want to use it with CB in my 32 WS. I've got some 700X I'll try out for now, but I've been wanting to try Unique.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Bartletts waive the HAZ fee on certain types of powders if you buy enough volume of it. Sometimes Wideners does too.
    I normally shop at http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/, I odn't know the sites you have listed. Google couldn't point me to the bartletts could you share the link with me?

Thanks in advance!

NM found it. Thanks for the help. I will have to see about ordering some next week:
    http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html
    Last edited by kayak1; 12-25-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    The last time I bought powder from him I just drove to Owensboro and picked it up. In fact I watched him pour it into the jugs.

I killed a deer with a NOE bullet and some of his WC870 this fall.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Mold
    I have been using BR-5 from Jeff since last fall and have had no problems with it loading all sorts of 38 special loads. Recently I received the following results from a S&W Model 66-1 2.5 inch revolver using 158 grain lswc bullets.

5 grains BR-5 got me 855 fps
    5.4 grains BR-5 got me 885 fps

For me it burns much cleaner than Unique. I did use a few at 5.6 grains of BR-5 and it was a bit stout. So I'll keep it at 5 grains for general use. Accuracy was just as good as Unique for me from 7 yards out to 25 yards on the qualification range.

Hope that helps out a bit. I shoot about 2500 rounds a year and will pick up another jug or two of this if he still has it in stock.

Ball powder similar to Unique? That is how I've always thought of Accurate #5.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by njtoo1 View Post
    I have been using BR-5 from Jeff since last fall and have had no problems with it loading all sorts of 38 special loads. Recently I received the following results from a S&W Model 66-1 2.5 inch revolver using 158 grain lswc bullets.

5 grains BR-5 got me 855 fps
    5.4 grains BR-5 got me 885 fps

For me it burns much cleaner than Unique. I did use a few at 5.6 grains of BR-5 and it was a bit stout. So I'll keep it at 5 grains for general use. Accuracy was just as good as Unique for me from 7 yards out to 25 yards on the qualification range.

Hope that helps out a bit. I shoot about 2500 rounds a year and will pick up another jug or two of this if he still has it in stock.
    Thanks for the review! Still in stock now, though I'm not sure if I need to add any more to my surplus collection.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm with vzerone on the bulking up thing, and Unique has proven itself to be very accurate in many calibers, and I think this is part of the reason. Still, though, finding ANY powder that works now is a GOOD thing! I'd have a hard time justifying the size order I'd need to send one to Bartlett, but I may succumb to the temptation anyway. These days, more seems to be a better deal, even when it's not our old standbys. You guys help keep the temptation level high, too. Thanks!

I would like some of this, but a jug is probably a lifetime supply for me. I could go for 2. Anybody around the Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City, Tennessee & Southwest Virginia area interested in going in on 6?

I've got a bite for one more jug. Message me.

Boolit Master

^^^ I think you will like this BR 5 powder. The description says it is 'similar' to Hercules Unique. I have found NOT to under load any loads and that most need 1 to 1 1/2 grains more per Unique loads. This is in .38 spl., .40 S&W, 9mm, and .45 ACP. ( These are the only ones I have been able to 'play' with so far. ) Other wise there will be unburnt powder in your cases.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

I don't know when he started it but I just noticed Bartlett is charging $15 hazmat on 6 jug orders now.
    °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
    A Closed Mouth Gathers No Toes

"When I get to heaven, Tie me to a tree,
    Else I'll get to wandering, Then you know just where I'll be"
    (Ben Rumson, Feb 19, 1924 - Aug 29, 1987)

Boolit Bub
    Hi.
    I have been using 4 grains of the BR5 with a 158 lead SWC in my Colt Official Police 38 spcl. with no issues. Seems to burn a lot cleaner than the "old" Unique. Plan to try it in the 30-30 with cast boolits next. This is a great forum.

Boolit Master
    Welcome aboard ScotMc.
    Gee using non-canister powder to push boolits out of an old 38 and doing the same in 30-30, yep this is where you fit in.

Im curious about BR-5. I've tried AA5 in 38 and had some granules hanging around in the cylinder and a bit in the barrel. Not any kind of problem, just enough to see. Do you get something similar with BR-5?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the "welcome". BR-5 seems to burn fairly clean without any granules. January I tried 50 rounds in the 38 and have not had time to load any more to try. Good accuracy at 25 yards. I am on an overseas vacation for 3 months. I get home early April and will report back after I play with BR-5 in the Remington 788 in 30-30.

Banned

am I out of touch? I look at 100 bucks for 6lbs plus shipping and hazmat and have to wonder if its just as cheap to buy some unique. At least when the unique runs out and you have loads worked up you can allways buy more.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    am I out of touch? I look at 100 bucks for 6lbs plus shipping and hazmat and have to wonder if its just as cheap to buy some unique. At least when the unique runs out and you have loads worked up you can allways buy more.
    it * used* to be a better deal lloyd, you could buy 6 kegs and get free shipping/hazmat was my understanding.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Lloyd,
    Yes you may be out of touch with all areas and pricing, the last unique I saw it on the shelf/list, it was $32.95 a pound and if you bought 6, that is by my old school math, 197.70 plus 8.25 sales tax = $ 214.00 plus gas or diesel to drive 80 miles round trip. By my way of thinking, 6 lbs fer $100 plus $45 to ship it ( haz and shipping) saves this farm boy some money.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I think your right, I just picked up an eight pound bottle for 139.00 and tax. Surplus powder doesn't appear to be that good of a value anymore when you compare it to what available.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned

last I saw (about 6 months ago) a keg of bullseye was 197 bucks (8lbs) in gander mountain and they've allways been on the high side. For the few bucks saved I don't know if I want to get into a powder that a year from now is gone and all my load development is for not. then factor in that you use about a 1/3 to a 1/2 less powder using bullseye to get the same velocitys and you can see what really saves you money. Now if I could just find some more bullseye or 231. That to me is what this surplus is good for. It gets me by when commercial powders just aren't on the shelves.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-22-2016 at 08:12 AM.

Banned

not any more. 30 bucks for less then 6 jugs and 15 bucks for more then 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Six kegs gets Hazmat waiver

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast