WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bartletts Hercules Unique Powder

Boolit Grand Master

Bartletts Hercules Unique Powder

I didn't see any recent threads on this powder that Jeff has in stock. I'm a little curious that the description says to use Hercules not Alliant Unique data as other threads I've seen say that the two are interchangeable and the only difference is the Alliant is cleaner. Why the Hercules reference?

Has anybody ordered any and worked up loads to see how it reacts?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    He seems to list Hercules for powders quite often. Also I am certain load data for Hercules and Alliant is the same. I would love to give this a try Unique in a ball powder.

Is that what they were calling Russian Unique a few years back? I never had any of it.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master
    No, I believe the Russian Unique was a flake powder.

Banned

I just ordered a whole lot of it. It had better be good. The last batch I got from him started off as a Hercules 2400 equivalent and by the time he got to my batch/order, all that remained was a SR4759 equivalent which is some really good stuff.

Boolit Master

I ordered 36 lbs. a few months ago of this BR-5 powder to get the Hazmat Fee wavier. Bartlets powder description states it is 'similar' to Hercules Unique. I have found that I have to use one to one and a half grains more BR-5 in 9 mm and .38 spl. than Unique. Still working with .40 s&w and .44 mag.. I use a Lee 4 hole turret press with a auto disk powder measure. YMMV
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Banned

"I ordered 36 lbs. a few months ago of this BR-5 powder to get the Hazmat Fee wavier."

Me too. I suppose having a grain or so difference in the right direction, my opinion, is OK. Keeps you below max, apparently. I am still waiting for mine.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I just ordered a whole lot of it. It had better be good. The last batch I got from him started off as a Hercules 2400 equivalent and by the time he got to my batch/order, all that remained was a SR4759 equivalent which is some really good stuff.
    I dithered a couple of hours and ended up with that Alcan 9450 too, great stuff! I need to go look at his web page,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

HHHHMMMM. i use 12 gr. of unique in a 35 whelen case for reduced load shooting with a 280 gr. boolit (1275 fps.)

Wonder how this ball powder equivalent of unique works in reduced loads with larger rifle cases like the whelen?
    Anyone tried it?

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    No, I believe the Russian Unique was a flake powder.
    No, Russian Unique (Salute) is definitely not a flake powder. At least not what I have. Its closer to a ball powder in appearance than a flake.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    I have never seen it other than a batch for sale online and the guy took a picture of it. Now you guys make me want to get some BR5

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    I have never seen it other than a batch for sale online and the guy took a picture of it. Now you guys make me want to get some BR5
    If you lived closer id split a 6 jug order to save hazmat. A ball unique sounds pretty good to me.

Boolit Master
    Yea I live in the wastelands haha I'd love to split an order! Especially with you buddy!
    Agreed, I'd love to try it out, I bet my 44s would love it.

Boolit Master
    well, is there a consensus on this br5, i just got the first jug of universal that I have been able to find in about three years.
    when i saw jeff had this unique equivelant I been hemmin and hawin just had not pulled the trigger on it yet

Banned

Personally myself I like Unique with it's round flakes better then if it was a ball powder because it occupies more space in big cases like 45 Colt for example. Then you don't have that problem where the powder could shift to the front of the cartridge and that does make a difference in ignition.

Banned

I'm using it for 9mm and a 135 grain RFN so I bet it will be near 100%
    I will try it in other applications like .357, but I don't disagree with the notion that it could be position sensitive in large cases. Will also do some 12 gauge and the gas seal eliminates any empty space.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm also not a big fan of ball powders in a larger case. Not because of the chance of a double charge but the movement of the powder.

"I ordered 36 lbs. a few months ago of this BR-5 powder to get the Hazmat Fee wavier."

I ordered jugs of WC860 for the same reason as without the hazmat it came in at something like $6/lb. I wanted to try duplexing loads as a cheaper alternative to straight powder but have not had a chance to try it yet. I have loading data for my 43 Spanish using AA8700 so I'm going to give that a try after the BP/duplexing Black Powder experiments.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I'm also not a big fan of ball powders in a larger case. Not because of the chance of a double charge but the movement of the powder.

I ordered jugs of WC860 for the same reason as without the hazmat it came in at something like $6/lb. I wanted to try duplexing loads as a cheaper alternative to straight powder but have not had a chance to try it yet. I have loading data for my 43 Spanish using AA8700 so I'm going to give that a try after the BP/duplexing Black Powder experiments.
    Where are you getting powder without the hazmat fee?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kayak1 View Post
    Where are you getting powder without the hazmat fee?

Bartletts waive the HAZ fee on certain types of powders if you buy enough volume of it. Sometimes Wideners does too.

Banned

Six kegs gets Hazmat waiver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast