WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Soon to arrive Martini Henry

Soon to arrive Martini Henry

I know I know I don't even have the rifle yet! I have to wait for Christmas. But I decided to start having some fun anyways.

I've been doing my research and I understand the Martini Henry mark IV run anywhere from .469 to 472. The 500 gain came out a little bit smaller than I had hoped but I'm going to have to fire form some cases anyways. I'll find some thicker paper later.
    The 200 grain I did just for fun I kind of hope that they shoot ok as I would like my wife to shoot the rifle as well it would be considerably less punishing. But I doubt they'll even stabilize properly we shall see. I have nothing to add just really excited about something I've been wanting for some time.
    The Martini Henry rifle is a big part of firearms history. It was the first true metallic cartridge purpose-built rifle adopted. And it was one of the most advanced if not the most advanced military single shot black powder rifle. It's also in the transitional period of firearms history where they were trying to modernize their weaponry while still holding on to some of the old muzzle loading technology.
    Anyway have a good day guys.
    THE GUN
    The gun has been praised.
    The gun has been denounced.
    The gun has played a critical role in History.
    The gun has been implemented for good.
    The gun has been abused for evil.
    With the gun comes a great moral responsibility!
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

I use green bar paper on as-cast 300-400-500 gr boolit's. Bring's them up to .472

Super Moderator

..............I have a MkIV Martini that has had a brand new original barrel put on it. The barrel was one of 12 in an original wooden crate. The barrels were complete with their rear (military) sights. Amongst all the proofs and other markings was the manufacture date of 1892

These are the Lee 457-405-F slugs wrapped with 2 wraps of 20# bond. They mic .472" over the patch.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

That's a pretty picture Buckshot. JW

Boolit Buddy

Wow... 12 Martini barrels NOS. What are the chances...? I'm going to start paper patching for a Gahendra, the fire formed case mouths run .473". I'm thinking of using a 1-30 .461" 405 that I use in my 45-70's. I'm not sure how well those will work with the large lube grooves though. I fire formed with Lee 457-405 lubed - didn't get great accuracy, but they were on the paper.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson