Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever buy a mold before owning the caliber it's for?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    In 1974 I bought a round ball mould to cast bullets for a Colt 1851 Navy that I had just ordered.
    The order got screwed up, I never got the gun, and I still have the mould.

Duh!
    Go order that gun right now, times a wasting. Cap and ball revolvers are so much fun to shoot. My first handgun was a 1851 Navy replica and I shot it so much the frame and spindle (the thing the cylinder turns on)became really loose. Ordered a 1862 Police model not long ago. You can still mail order them and no dealer is required. You got the mould, that's a great excuse to get the gun !
    Gary

Boolit Master
    I don't recall buying a mold for a caliber I didn't own, but I have bought reloading dies, brass, and loaded ammunition without guns to use them in. I think I ended up selling/trading all of them off.

Fortunately I don't discuss each and every purchase related to the hobby with my wife. I get sufficient grief for the purchases she knows about

Yes, got a couple 6.5 molds as well as some brass before I ever got the rifle.

If a mold is too pricey to buy before you get the gun, buy a sling. "I have this nice sling, now I need a rifle to carry with it."

Boolit Mold
    Yup. I tend to buy the mold, dies, and brass first over a period of months. That way I can take my time getting things ready for the "big" purchase. By then, I'm ready for final sizing and load work-ups.

Joe

All of these replies make me look forward to a 45. I'm thinking a 1911, my first one. The mold that sparked the first post is a MP one from his last group buy. Not looking forward to that LPP/SPP ordeal that comes with range brass though.
    -Chris

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't sweat the SPP thing. Between range pickup and once fired brass I've purchased, I've only come across a few small primer cases.

Lots of options for 45's, doesn't have to be a 1911, could even be a revolver. The Ruger P90's can be found for a song and mine seems to shoot quite well.

Last pistol I got was revolver, and I don't own a 1911 and always wanted one so this seems line a perfect opportunity
    -Chris

Boolit Master
    Last night I ordered a 9mm mold for the pistol I will purchase next week maybe.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWT View Post
    Isn't that normal?
    I thought it was normal!

Boolit Master

Bought a 2 cavity 358156 before I owned the gun or any casting equipment.

Yeah, finding SPP .45acp brass is kinda rare, in my experience. I consider it a non-issue. You can always reload them anyway and use that ammo as throwaways when shooting someplace where brass gathering is tough or impossible.

Boolit Master

Tell your wife it is an "investment" . I have never had a mold drop in value.
    the Loverin molds I have picked up at gun shows or backwoods gun shops for $10 or $20 now sell for a great deal more on Ebay.

I know of one fellow who will buy a 5 cavity mold for $150.00, cast 5,000 to 8,000 bullets with it while treating it with respect and care, and then sell it on Ebay, usually getting most of (if not more) than his original investment back.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Tell your wife it is an "investment" . I have never had a mold drop in value.
    the Loverin molds I have picked up at gun shows or backwoods gun shops for $10 or $20 now sell for a great deal more on Ebay.

I know of one fellow who will buy a 5 cavity mold for $150.00, cast 5,000 to 8,000 bullets with it while treating it with respect and care, and then sell it on Ebay, usually getting most of (if not more) than his original investment back.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought close to 300 Lyman and RCBS molds from an estate I still haven't gone through everything but most are new and a lot are almost as old as me.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Bought a 5mm mold for 5mm Craig I wanted. Found a 591 at a reasonable price, but didn't have the $ for dies/conversion of bolt. Then Aquila made 5mm Mag ammo. Rifle still not converted, have no ammo, but someday....could always try them in my Sheridan pump airgun, might make good pellets! Still want to take squirrels with cast boolits from it.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    My daughter once said if I haven't used something in six months to get rid of it.(my gunstuff) I answered ok, there goes your mother!

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Yes. About to do it again because I want to find an unappreciated bolt action rifle, and have JES convert it into a .338 Federal. So I will have a mold for a rifle that not only do I not own, but need to have converted to a new caliber. For sure my wife would never understand, but she pays no attention to my addictions.
    LOL, me too. Got the Lee six cavity, brass to convert, the dies, ready to go. If the .310x.308 Mauser turns out to be more trouble than it's worth then whooosh, it's on it's way! After relocating from Texas the only reason I haven't pursued the .338 project is the goofy hunting regs here on the corn tundra.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    My daughter once said if I haven't used something in six months to get rid of it.(my gunstuff) I answered ok, there goes your mother!
    Pure gold right there!!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Ordered a MP mold, 6 cavity brass in 9mm yesterday here a group buy......I only have 1911's in 45acp, guess I have to start looking for a 9mm now?

Quote Originally Posted by hermans View Post
    Ordered a MP mold, 6 cavity brass in 9mm yesterday here a group buy......I only have 1911's in 45acp, guess I have to start looking for a 9mm now?
    That's how it started for me except the opposite way. I ordered one of his 45's but only own 9mm. I regret nothing.
    -Chris

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast