Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever buy a mold before owning the caliber it's for?

Boolit Master
    doesn't every body? I have done it with cars and motorcycles too. also machine tools.

Banned
    Don't judge me!

I've done it several times. Couple gun shops I go to get molds in and price them cheap I see them and walk out with them. My problem is I just can't sell them I've even poured boolits out of them why I don't know. Just a addiction.

Boolit Buddy
    You are a prepper! Welcome to the club

You have to make arrangements for the new baby in the family. A few molds, sizers and a die set makes them feel at home when they arrive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    All the time..... dies and brass too..... because.., one day...!!!!!
    Right now I have 500pcs of new Starline brass, a set of dies, two molds and about 500 boolits cast and powder coated for 44 mag because I know a rifle and pistol are in my very near future. So, if all else fails, let your wife read this thread and she will quickly see you have wonderful and amazing self control for a man with an addiction.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    Of course I have... hasn't everyone? I started getting 319-321 size moulds months before I got my first of several 32-40s. I also tracked down 310 dies and steel handle as well as brass. Yep, it makes perfect sense to me!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    3 factory cases of brass of 1000 rounds each and I have never found a rifle for it.

Many sets of dies, rifle barrels, stocks, bolts, scopes, car engines, ammo, gauges, micrometers
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    It is actually easier to buy the mold, then the brass, a sizing die or two, then loading dies before you buy a gun in a new to you caliber. You have time to figure out what you want instead of thinking "I have a new .297 Whizsbang Mangleum and I need to get everything for it right now, and damn the cost."

Of course this doesn't help when a real bargain of a gun comes up, but hey you already saved money on the bargain. Right?

Robert

I'm sure your wife has never bought anything that she didn't need, yet, because it was on sale...hmm? Or an article of clothing that wasn't quite the right size, yet.....

Naw, wimminz never do stuff like that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Right now I have 500pcs of new Starline brass, a set of dies, two molds and about 500 boolits cast and powder coated for 44 mag because I know a rifle and pistol are in my very near future. So, if all else fails, let your wife read this thread and she will quickly see you have wonderful and amazing self control for a man with an addiction.
    I hope you don't have MY luck and find out those boolits are too stinkin' small!

Boolit Buddy

I had Mountain Molds make me a custom mold for a .404 Jeffery I hadn't built yet.

Project died before it started, and I ended up getting a .416 Rigby instead.

Just learned today that although I was able to run the .424 boolits through the .417 sizer, the nose profile is so fat I have to seat the bullets 4/5 of the way into the case to get them to chamber.

Oh well, somebody with a .404 is going to get a Mountain Mold at half price!
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Boolit Buddy

300blk had mold and modified some brass and specifically purchased powder more than 6mo before I owned an upper for my AR.
    Also had 500 bullets cast and coated long before the upper arrived...

Now I am looking at what mold to buy or modify for 22tcm which I have brass and powder for and no gun (yet)......
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Grand Master

I am so glad to hear it's not just me....I think I have an addiction. But sometimes it comes in handy. I bought the perfect 357 magnum mould about 4 months ago...don't know why, I no longer own one but felt compelled. Then 6 weeks ago a stolen 3 screw Ruger Blackhawk , was recovered and returned to me. stolen in 1995 and returned in 2015...it was gone 20 years and now it's back. Low and behold I've just finished casting a bunch of bullets with that new mould. The moral here is if you feel compelled to buy a mould....do it, you just never know what fate has in store for you.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Isn't that normal?

Boolit Master

Yep. Every chance I get sometimes they make great core molds or ill get a rifle in it at some point.

In Remembrance
    In 1974 I bought a round ball mould to cast bullets for a Colt 1851 Navy that I had just ordered.
    The order got screwed up, I never got the gun, and I still have the mould.

Duh!
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    All the time..... dies and brass too..... because.., one day...!!!!!
    Been there, done that.

ukrifleman

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't bought a mold for a caliber I don't own, but I did buy 960 rds of .303 British HXP when Cheaper than Dirt had it on sale last year, and I still don't own a rifle with which to shoot it.

Boolit Bub
    It's called planning!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast