Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seafood/Clam/Oyster chowders

Moderator Emeritus

Seafood/Clam/Oyster chowders

I just got through earlier opening a can of Campbell's New England Clam Chowder. It was good, and it was quick to fix, which is why I got it. Now that we've got some cold weather here in Georgia, it's time for those one pot recipes like Chili and stews. Great dining!

My wife is now turned against oysters. For many years, if I needed to get out of the doghouse, I could bring home a big mess of turnips or some oysters, and all would be forgiven. Now all I have is turnips, it seems, but I do a lot of my own cooking, and when I do, I do it MY way for ME. Her oyster stew is as good as I've ever eaten, but I'd like to experiment with fish and other stuff from the sea. I've eaten a good many different recipes over time, and all were good, with some being really great. Being diabetic and on a usually pretty strict diet, I like to avoid potatoes because they spike my blood sugar like nothing else except pure sugar itself. Has anyone found a substitute for potatoes in these recipes?

I've thought about, but haven't yet tried squash or zuccini, and would like any recommendations anyone's found. If I ever eat any bread, it's one of those multi grain rolls with seeds on it that don't seem to spike my blood sugar like most other breads do, and I keep that to a bare minimum.

I started out cooking in a single pot, and it'll always be one of my favorite ways to cook. My wife hates it, but eats what I fix readily, and even throws me a complement now and then when she just can't help herself. When you're on a diet, eating well and keeping the portions down to reasonable size (I hate that last one!) really helps stay on that diet, and living near the coast as I do, I guess it's inevitable that I'd really have a taste for anything that comes out of the ocean.

Anybody got any good recipes? Any subs for the potatoes? For me, sitting down to a good seafood chowder/soup/whatever is a real treat. Thanks to any who can contribute suggestions here that you've found please the palate.

Vendor Sponsor

Well I will let you in on a really cool secret. You are in Ga, the HOME of the Vidalia onion. Every spring in February, they pull and ship what they call spring onions, or salad onions and by late March these are gone. You have to get them when they are being pulled but they freeze quite well so you can use them throughout the year.

Why are these important when the thread is about chowder and soups? Because this particular onion, not just any green onion, but the sweet Vidalia green onions that grow in Georgia have this magical ability that when they are cooked with garlic, they cancel each other out and you have this sweetness that's real subtle, hard to describe really, but PERFECT for chowder! Even she crab soup!

Here's how to use this secret. If you have a pot of potatoes, cubed up like you would for potato salad, OR cubed up really fine like you would use in clam chowder, add salt, pepper, 2-3 cloves of garlic, and half one of these Vidalia green salad onions, and cook them until the potatoes are really just falling apart and starts to thicken up the pot, THIS is your chowder base! At this point you can REALLY taste this magical sweetness I am talking about that ONLY comes from these onions and garlic. Using this thickened potato as a base, add 1qt heavy cream and now you have basically a bisque. To this you can add clams, with their juice from steaming, and celery, corn, mushrooms, or not, and you have clam chowder. If you add lump crabmeat you have crab soup. You can add fish, any seafood or shellfish and TRY to retain their liqour or the juice from steaming them because this really flavors the soup nicely.

Okay, this is a neat starting place, with the taters cooked in garlic and Vidalias. Then add heavy cream. Then you can add lots of things to it and make soups, chowder, etc.

This Vidalia/garlic trick also works really well on a pot of butter beans or even black eyed peas.

This is what you look for:

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    My wife has turned me on to some very mild Asian radishes that are similar in texture to a potato when boiled in soup or stews and absorbed flavor as well. It is firmer than a turnip but very mild flavour we have them cut up like potatoes in soups . Google it " Daikon or Korean radish". Worth a try.

Dougguy is absolutely right about those green Vidalia onions. For my chowder I use just a touch of garlic as I don't mind the onion flavor.

I start with saved bacon fat kept in the fridge, saute onions, celery and taters, being stuck up here in the sticks I have to settle with the liquid in the clam can. I also bag up small bags of imitation crab flake cut it up small, add that with my clams, then milk. Normally I am to cheap to buy cream, and a bit lactose intolerant as well. So I get by with Lactaid milk (love the long experation date) and a spoon or 2 of non dairy powdered coffee creamer.

I keep a pot of chives alive in my kitchen window and top with finely diced Chives.

You can do an oyster stew the same way just onions, celery, oysters and milk.
    Get that same sweet subtle flavor.

Moderator Emeritus

Could lean more towards a gumbo... thickens from the okra, no potatoes...

Moderator Emeritus

Wow! It'a amazing what great cooks we have here, and good cooks ONLY come from folks who love to eat. That's our motivation, though I'm VERY humble as a cook. Like most, I'm too often in a hurry, so don't get to make the really great stuff often, but I suspect most of us are like that, at least much of the time. I'm a man of pretty simple tastes, due likely to growing up on a farm. Mom could make anything taste really great, and I met a girl recently who grew up a couple of homes down from us. She had to introduce herself. She's now nearly 70 and I hadn't seen here in many years. She was a polling officer. She made two comments about Mom. One, that she always had the most beautiful flowers, and two, that "she sure could cook!" I never inherited Mom's abilities, but I keep trying to at least emulate some of the stuff she did, but never quite with her success. Persistence, though, improves things.

And Doug, you're absolutely right on about those Vidalias! There's a grower who has a warehouse just outside of nearby Glenville, and I like to stop in there and get at least a big bag of them from him. He usually has "seconds" at a much cheaper price, and they too are luscious! They just didn't meet the size requirements, some bigger and some smaller, and the mix of sizes is kind'a convenient when you're cooking. Saves a little cutting and waste. And I've long been with Justin Wilson, who said, "You just can't cook without on-yon!" Thanks a bunch for the recipe. It's very close to what I do when I have the time, but I'm really wanting to find something to substitute for the potatoes. I need to keep my potato intake down to the barest minimum, and thought about squash or zuccinni. I knew somebody here would have some suggestions, and the oriental raddishes is much appreciated. I'll see if I can find some.

And Mary B, you sound a lot like my Mom used to. I doubt any of us could come up with a question that you wouldn't have a great answer for! I also love Cajun/Creole cooking, and the okra recommendation is great. Since I'm not a life-long, practiced cook, I usually end up experimenting with various things just to see how it affects the end taste, and I still struggle sometimes at getting the seasoning just right, but I'm learning, and all you folks here give me a real master's degree in this field. I just ate a small snack to try to put off eating as long as I can, but you've got me HUNGRY already! Appetite is an amazing thing, isn't it? I have some shrimp, and may try some of your ideas, and see what I can come up with. This time of year, one pot meals are SOOOOO good! Thanks, and keep 'em coming.

And Doug, since you're such a fan of the Vidalias, I'll try to get his card again next time I get over to Glenville, or may even make a special trip there for the both of us, and I'll send you his contact info. I think you'll like those rejects just as much as the ones they sell at the grocery stores. I'm pretty sure he ships via mail or UPS, too, so it'd be no problem to order a bunch and keep them frozen. More is ALWAYS better when it comes to those Vidalias! I truly am lucky to live nearby.

Boolit Master
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master

Seafood dinner

Here goes something, I hope. It's called a Lenten Platter. Comes from eastside Cleveland, OH, from a Lithuanian Club menu. Long time ago........

Attachment 154839

Moderator Emeritus

Well, Lee, I clicked on the link but it won't show for me. Not sure why, but thanks anyway. Got another link?

And I couldn't take it any longer, and went to the fridge to try Doug's recipe, but didn't have half the ingredients, so fell back on my original idea of using zucinni (sp?) and tried it out. Diced 3 large zucinnis fine, added in a baseball sized onion (not Vidalia unfortunately - the wife likes to save EVERY penny and gets whatever's cheapest, but I always go for the Vidalias when I shop), a leek, diced fine, 3 cloves of garlic, about 9 baby carrots grated coarsely, salt and pepper, and some real butter and a little olive oil, and stewed it about 1.5 hrs. until it thickened up good and got slightly browned (carmelized?). Then I added in some more butter (@ 1/3 of a stick) and a good dollop of sour cream, mixed that in good, and added the shrimp in, an' danged if it wasn't GOOD! Not as good as Doug's recipe, I know, but for a guy like me who's trying to eat as righteously as a country boy can, it was really satisfying. Now I'm scared to try Doug's recipe lest I squander the gains I've made in my wt.! It's TOUGH havin' to eat right! I keep pretending to be tough enough to take it but .... well, it's touch and go, and ain't getting any easier! Especially with guys like Doug putting this kind of recipe here! But thanks, Doug. I CAN eat stuff like that on occasion, but not more than once a month or so. I'm trying to accelerate my wt. loss so I CAN eat some exactly as you describe, and still keep mostly to my plan. Seafood is probably my strongest weakness, and that's one reason I tried the zucinni recipe tonight. Sure am glad it worked out good. Even the wife said it was "really good!" When SHE says things like that, I know it was pretty good. She's kind'a sparse with the complements and generous with the complaints, but I always tell her when she cooks, she can do it HER way, and when I cook, I'll do it MINE. She hasn't got much of a sense of humor these days, it seems. I think pooched out lips mean that, don't they?

Boolit Master
    It's a good one. I have no idea the attachment didn't work. Give me some time. I'll post the recipe so even CB can get it.....

Moderator Emeritus

Gumbo is great then if you want to lose weight! Starch load is small just from the roux, some contribution of natural sugars from the veg... skip the rice to serve it over and eat it as a soup.

Moderator Emeritus

Exactly! I've always been a big eater. Kind'a a victim of the "athlete's disease." After I hurt my back badly in '81, I couldn't keep up the pace I'd always had before, though I seriously tried. As I slowed down, I kept the appetite of the more active days, and slowly, my wt. crept up. Also contributed or outright caused my diabetes, too, I believe. Having to diet is a heavy burden, but I've found that simply eating something good and satisfying really helps me keep to the diet, and if I can just feel pretty satisfied when I push away from the table, I can diet with minimal complaints, though there'll always be some. What I miss most is biscuits, and #2 would be my grits. I'll allow myself one biscuit every 4-6 wks, and when I eat one now, NOBODY appreciates and loves one more! Gittin' old ain't fer sissies!

These recipes mean a lot more to me now than just a good meal, and thanks to all for the outstanding stuff you post here. It matters more than you realize for some of us.

Moderator Emeritus

I got back into drinking coke habit... and piled on weight. Need to get back to drinking just water and the occasional beer at holidays. One of my back meds causes nausea and I found that coke settles the stomach...

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    And Doug, since you're such a fan of the Vidalias, I'll try to get his card again next time I get over to Glenville, or may even make a special trip there for the both of us, and I'll send you his contact info. I think you'll like those rejects just as much as the ones they sell at the grocery stores. I'm pretty sure he ships via mail or UPS, too, so it'd be no problem to order a bunch and keep them frozen. More is ALWAYS better when it comes to those Vidalias! I truly am lucky to live nearby.
    Man dang that would be GREAT! Our Food Lion stores USED to get these every year but then they quit and none of the stores get them I *NEED* a connection for a large flat rate box of them when they get ready to ship! I really wouldn't care about getting seconds so much as I would care about getting ANY at all! LOL!! I would like the first choice ones too! I keep them in the freezer year round when I can get them so yeah I would very much appreciate a good hookup for these, I would order from them or split a box with you every year.

Edit: I had gone as far as googling farms in Ga and emailing or calling them to order onions. Only came up with one farm that wanted to send me a box of 75 of them or none at all.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Split a box with friends and neighbors! I buy 5 pounds of onions a month so a 75 pound box would be great. Store some as long as I can in the pantry and freeze the rest as chopped onions, and onion rings!

Moderator Emeritus

Anyone who wants some, please PM me and I'll make a special trip for you. They have them pretty much year 'round, but of course, the price rises to pay for the storage time and expenses. Still, they'd be less than you can get them for locally, except for the shipping, of course. And they are really THE primo onion among onion connoisseurs. I can pay him and you can just reimburse me when they get to you. I think they do a good bit of this type shipping, IIRC. Good folks to deal with.

The Vidalia onion industry has gone through some real infighting over who can grown them and just exactly where. They're VERY concerned about keeping the label true to their original taste and quality. We read about some of these rifts and quarrels in our local paper where it's news. It seems making things grow involves lots and lots of politics, both internal and external now. They hire a lot of migrant workers to do their planting and harvesting, but most appear to be basically honest folks with the usual amount of exceptions. Thievery when something is easily stolen seems to be the offense 95+% of the time. Nothing is easy any more. At least they're really serious about maintaining their quality and taste, and keeping them affordable so they can sell all they grow. It's nothing to find folks who'll eat one like an apple, and just relish it.

I'll wait a couple of days to let the PM's accumulate, to make sure nobody's left out, and then make a trip. I need some too! Wife only buys whatever is cheapest, but I never met an onion I didn't like, kind'a like Justin Wilson, and even prefer the strong yellow ones that make you cry sometimes, like for chilli and other uses, but those Vidalias just make ya' go "Ahhhhh!" Good stuff just makes you do that, doesn't it?

Vendor Sponsor

The Vidalias that grow big, like the ones we get in the stores here, won't do the vidalia/garlic trick like I was describing earlier, only the young green vidalias, the spring or salad onions as they are called do that. Those are the ones I am interested in. I don't know if anyone would have those now, I think they are only a February/March availability but I might be wrong..

Moderator Emeritus

You know, you're probably right, but I need to get out and make a trip there anyway, so I'll see what I can find out. Have a pre-colonoscopy appt tomorrow and a funeral Tues., but may get to go this week. Will find out what I can. Those folks have all sorts of tricks up their sleeves, and their coolers are temp and humidity controlled. They might actually have some, but I've never even thought to ask. Nothing like asking dumb questions, is there? It's only dumb once, and then you know. You've really got me intrigued now!

Ironically, the less you can eat, the more important WHAT you eat becomes. I splurged just a tiny bit by overeating the zuccinni chowder, and it was very good, and again tonight with some rutabegas and Jiffy pan cornbread. I LOVE that stuff! Now I'll have to be really strict for the rest of the week, but it was worth it! The wt. is going down slow, but it IS going down, and that's a big deal for me now. You guys make it both hard and more enjoyable at the same time with all these recipes! Us old country boys find it really HARD to diet, but nobody said life was supposed to be easy, did they? Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Oyster Bisque

2-1/2 doz. oysters and liquid
    3 tbsp. butter
    1 tbsp cooking oil
    1 qt. hot water
    2 tbsp. green onion
    1 med. onion, chopped fine
    1/3 cup celery, sliced thin
    3 tsp. chopped parsley
    1 dash cayenne
    2 tsp. chopped parsley
    Salt and pepper to taste

Clean and pick over oysters, reserving liquid. Separate soft portions from hard muscle and put hard parts through food grinder or chop very fine. Make a roux out of butter and oil and flour. Let brown. Add all seasoning except parsley. cook until soft and lightly browned. Add water and boil for 25 minutes, then add oysters and oyster liquid. Again bring to a boil. Add parsley and cayenne.

Serves 6.

I have made this recipe and like it very much. I didn't make my roux very dark, as in a seafood gumbo, but more a blonde roux. Once you put the oysters in remember they only take about two minutes to cook, then turn the heat off.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 12-13-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

Blackwater, you might look more to some heirloom squash to substitute for potatoes. Zucchini is a lot firmer and less "yummy" in my opinion. I have been growing a strain of cushaw squash for several years now. They can be harvested green and used like summer squash or allowed to mature and ripen to maturity. They can be eaten along the way but at some point the seeds have to be tossed and the skin removed as they get tough. Anyway, this squash has a much more mealy texture than summer squash, with a bit nutter flavor and some starch. I use it for many things. Just a few days ago I made a chicken stew with beans and hominy with the squash to meld it together. It turned out really good. Anyway, maybe a squash like that would work ok for you instead of potatoes.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast