RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Homemade Case Lube

Boolit Mold
    Grumpa what do you add to the stainless pins when cleaning . I have used heat and lanolin to lube cases but when I use LSD to clean i get a Black coating on my pins and brass .

In Remembrance
    Here's all I use:

Well water
    HOT<-----( Not boiling just hot water from the tap)
    Lemi-Shine
    Dawn Original Dish washing soap

Rinse after 20 minutes with hot water....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

I've cut out dawn in my ss cleaning. Someone said somewhere the two are opposite on the pH scale and sort of counter each other a little bit. Hot water and lemishine works just peachy for me, if not about 10 to 20% faster than before.

Thanks for the recipe, I've been needing something for my 223 cases, got about 1200 I need to do, hope I can get this stuff churning quick and get the job done.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    and you dont have the black coating on everything ? are you using lanolin for case lube

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by harrelson View Post
    and you dont have the black coating on everything ? are you using lanolin for case lube
    I don t get the black coating, and I use Lanolin on ever case I process. The pins are as clean as they were when they where when I bought them....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Cut, trimmed, formed 50 rounds of .223 into .300BO brass this week. Used a slight variation of Grumpu's lube recipe.
    I don't have any good vasoline in the house so I made some from a DIY recipe of equal parts beeswax, coconut oil, and olive oil.

To this I added a glop of lanolin, warmed it up, stirred well, and let cool. I used spareingly, mostly greased my fingers up as I was loading each case I made sure it got a slight smear. Even on the lee hand press it took no strength, and 20 minutes in walnut hulls after priming left cases clean, bright shiny, and not slippery.

Good stuff that lanolin.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the old rcbs case lube that comes in the tube to re-size cases but the stuff is pretty picky about how much to use, and is a pain to clean off after sizing. Is this stuff made from lanolin, and what would be good to mix it with to make it a little more user friendly? I have several tubes of the stuff and would like something that works better if I could find a mixture for it that works.

Boolit Master
    On the SS pin tumbling, if you are getting a black coating on your brass
    there is some carbon steel in the mix.
    Either a carbon steel screw holding the "ribs" inside the vessel, or a steel case in the pile (russian steel cased ammo).

Boolit Master
    Also I find that a couple of tablespoons of laundry detergent works better than dawn.
    The dawn tends to make a huge amount of suds, so rinsing the brass and pins is a bigger PITA.
    And I have found that laundry detergent works better at cutting heavy grease and dirt.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez to doit the easy way - just PURCHASE
    STP Oil Treatment or TriFlo Synthetic Grease.
    Either makes a GREAT cartridge case sizing / reforming grease!

Boolit Bub

Grumpa. I like your recipe. I have been using up my RCBS stuff and looking for additional supplies. I found a jar of DAX 100% pure Lanolin hair conditioner. It has lanolin and other goodies. I have used this to reform some cases seems to work ok but I have nothing else to go against except the RCBS. I will get some lanolin and mix it with this DAX stuff. Have you heard of this dax stuff?

Boolit Master
    I made up some of the 50-50 mix. I really like it. Used it to make 8mm Mauser from 270 Win. Works great. Also used to recharge a lube pad. Does not take much. Thanks Grumpa for sharing.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage99 View Post
    Grumpa. I like your recipe. I have been using up my RCBS stuff and looking for additional supplies. I found a jar of DAX 100% pure Lanolin hair conditioner. It has lanolin and other goodies. I have used this to reform some cases seems to work ok but I have nothing else to go against except the RCBS. I will get some lanolin and mix it with this DAX stuff. Have you heard of this dax stuff?
    Never heard of that DAX stuff in my life. Keep in mind when I posted this thread I tried to keep things simple and easy to get.

Annealing Services

What do you do for inside the case neck?

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    Figure I would put this here since this is a case forming section. And from time to time get PM's on how it's made.

I realize folks seem to have a variety of lubes they use for there own uses, and this is just mine that I use for everything.

All I use is a 50/50 mix of Anhydrous Lanolin and Vaseline. I got this mixture somewhere off this site when I got my swaging dies and decided to roll my own j-words from spent brass, but that's another story.

I wanted something that worked for me, and something that the ingredients were easy to obtain and didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

The Anhydrous Lanolin I got from a member on the site by the name of randyrat. This Lanolin has had the moisture removed from it so don't get confused with other types of Lanolin.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ydrous-Lanolin

And the Vaseline can be found at your local $1 store.

I use a small Mason jar and just melt the Lanolin while it's sitting in a pot of hot water. When it's melted to 50% by volume in the jar I'll add the Vaseline the remainder of the way. I'll keep stirring gently while the Vaseline is dissolving to keep it well mixed, and it will resemble a watery tea in appearance when done. Just let it cool down a few hours out of the hot water till it solidifies. In my climate I take no special care of the lube, I just leave the lid off and have the jar sitting on my table.

When I use it I use it very sparingly, on that stuff a little does go a long way. I just dip my finger in it and smear it on my fingertip rather gently and put some on the base of the case and roll the case between my fingers. I always stay away from the shoulder/neck area to prevent dimples, which can and will happen.

Removing the lube is simple for me, I use the stainless media and after about 20min it's all washed off.

With all the conversions I do in an average month, at times 20K that mason jar will last me at least 6 months before I need to make more. I know it's a darn site cheaper to make my own and this way I'm never really out of lube. Just a Lb of the Lanolin goes a long way.

I've tried to use the alcohol Lanolin mix, and other lubes on the market at some point in time, but the stuff I make for myself still out performs what I've used, and I've used a lot of them.

Hope that helps some folks out....
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    I put a bit on a Q-tip and run it around the inside.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    I had the same problem of using a petroleum based lube and it turned the inside of my tumbler black too.
    So I got to thinking about a water soluble lube that might work and you wont believe it... Astroglide and it works fantastic as a resize lube and cleanup is as easy as warm water.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    I put a bit on a Q-tip and run it around the inside.
    swamp
    That's how I do it ....

Annealing Services

Boolit Mold
    From Panama City FL, but living in South GA
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    No way I am wiping off lube or tumbling loaded rounds to get them clean after reloading them. Can you leave the Iso-heet and lanolin mix on the cases and shoot?

Note: I do not reform cases. Just reloading pistol and rifle cases. Using One Shot now but looking for something less expensive.

Thanks,
    Don
    dverna,

I too would like to know if you can just load up and shoot after the case lube. I certainly don't care to have to re-clean the cases after sizing if I don't HAVE to. But, as I am new to the rifle loading process, and am trying to attain the absolute best accuracy from my rounds as possible, I will re-clean if needed. Thanks.

-Muddawg

Boolit Master
    I have been using bensred if it lubes my cast Boolits in ain’t gona hurt my cases. I clean with citric acid and dish soap then tumble in corn cob or walnut shell. I’m cheep and broke I wash my media also.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    Here's all I use:

Well water
    HOT<-----( Not boiling just hot water from the tap)
    Lemi-Shine
    Dawn Original Dish washing soap

Rinse after 20 minutes with hot water....
    I use Dawn and a shot of denatured or 90% alcohol in the soak water. If I had some ether laying around I try throwing some in to experiment.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 02-14-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast