MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Anyone cast for a Savage 99-375 Win

Boolit Bub

Savage 99-375 Win

I recently picked up a Savage 99-375 (375 Win, Brush Gun model). Does anyone have experience/recommendation for a good cast bullet and load for this rifle?

I have no experience with cast bullets, but do reload several pistol and rifle calibers. I have heard that the 375 Win is a good candidate for cast bullets.

Thanks in advance, Keith
    Last edited by KeithNyst; 12-02-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    KeithNyst: I had one of those for a while and wish I still did,but someone wanted it $1275 worth.. Anyway,at the time I first bought it,I had nada for halfway appropriate moulds, so bough Bullets from one of these two guys,(too long ago for my memory cells), Look up: Western Bullets,out of Missoula,Mt. or Bullshop,out of Dell,Mt. those are the only commercial casters I've erver used for rifle bullets...Jon @ Western has some negative stuff posted here/there,usually relating to wait time after sending $, but I'm not aware of any failure to deliever eventually,,,Dan C. might do up a selection assortment for you,given some incentive.. --Oh,just remembered Marshall Stanton @ Beartooth bullets in No.Idaho has a lot of fans and has been there a LONG time,but I have not personally used any of his castings..He does maintain a pretty active website,too.... Onceabull.
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, OnceaBull
    This Savage 99-375 Brush Gun seems to have a very long combined free bore & leade. I put a Vollmer 220 grain bullet in an empty expanded 375 Win case and loaded it three times. I repeated 3 times and each time it came out at 2.713" oal. That bullet loads to an OAL of 2.560" ... so there's a big jump to the rifling ... 0.153". (it's not the bullet ... it's similar with a Hornady 220)
    I don't have a tool to measure the freebore and leade ... has anyone ever done it on a 99-375? ... or actually cast the chamber on one?
    I think I'll be searching for a 250-260ish grain bullet that may load to a longer OAL to get closer to the rifling, and still fit in the Savage's bullet rotor.
    Last edited by KeithNyst; 12-02-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

You're shooting that rifle? Don't you know what they're worth

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You're shooting that rifle? Don't you know what they're worth
    Yes, north of $1k for sure.
    I have to at least put a few rounds through it and put it back in the safe.

It won't go to the deer stand (as much as I'd like to take it there). Here is a picture of it:

Boolit Grand Master

I wish mine was in that shape so I could shoot it. Still has the hang tag on it so it's worth to much to shoot. I need to move it on. Very nice rifle by the way.

I don't know if it's to long to work in a 99 but I have NOE 379-279 which is a clone of the Lyman 379449. It's one of the go to bullets in 375 H&H. Hope you have brass because it's almost as hard to find, at a reasonable price, as the rifle itself.

Banned

Haven't used a .375, but in my experience, 99s like cast. I have the Brush Gun in .358 Winchester and love it.

Kieth, just send it to me and I'll get it all worked out for you. Proper boolits, loads, size, length, lube, etc.... JW

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Kieth,
    Saw your original post and thought "Boy I hope he's pictured that thing." 99s are so sweet.
    Thanks