MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shortening a .45-70govt

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    OK, lets think about this:
    * Your allowed to shoot any caliber where the case is 1.80 or less inches
    * You have a 45-70 rifle
    * The max SAMMI case length on a 45-70 is 2.105
    So to use your 45-70, you'd have to shorten the case 0.305"
    The issue is the bullet leading in the leade with a short 45-70 case ...
    My recommendation is use a 490gr 45-70 bullet (Lyman #2 alloy) such as the long Matthews 457677 bore riding bullet and seat it out of the case so the nose of the bullet is in the leading bore cuts. This will minimize any leading in the leade.
    Be sure to reload some - take to the range and test for accuracy at 100 & 200yds
    I would not recommend that as a hunting bullet. I shot a deer with one years ago, and it was a long, long tracking job. Find something with a flat nose.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    My solution would be to use a standard .45-70 cartridge and pay the fine for that misdemeanor if I got a summons.

You got me officer, really sorry you had to stop looking for real criminals in order to charge me with hunting with a cartridge that's 0.305" too long. Why yes, I'll be happy to sign that summons and come to court. Have a good day officer and thank you for your service. .

Boolit Master

You got me officer, really sorry you had to stop looking for real criminals in order to charge me with hunting with a cartridge that's 0.305" too long. Why yes, I'll be happy to sign that summons and come to court. Have a good day officer and thank you for your service. .
    I'm sure that's in jest, but it might be a little more trouble than that in the real world. I don't know about Indiana, but in many states, depending on the level of the crime, a game violation can lead to the forfeiture of your rifle and possibly your vehicle as well as your hunting privileges for several years. I'd look into that issue before being so bold.

It's really easy to work around the law and still be legal as I posted in my initial post to this thread. It's just not that hard and you'll still be able to use any recommended load in the manual or your previous loads without fear.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-17-2015 at 01:50 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Were did all the common sense go? Lord give the law makers the wisdom to be fair and just!

Boolit Master
    Michigan adopted the same law with the caveat that the case had to be straight walled. We already allowed pistols with straight walled cases of at least 35 cal., shotguns or muzzleloaders in the southern third of the state. (the thinking was the area was heavier populated and the range of the weapons would be "limited" The "shotgun zone" had existed for some 100 yrs. They opened up the rules to allow pistol caliber rifles in that area.
    I know a Marlin 1895 with a 405 gr. Lee will function just fine with no change in the load other than shortening the case. More bullet is exposed but it still works. That said, I just bought a single shot 44 mag. I "needed" the new rifle. LOL.
    The rule seems silly but it is an improvement from shotgun/muzzloader only. Being caught with the wrong weapon could result in fine, forfeiture of weapon and hunting privilege for up to 3 years and restitution charges for the animal. (the loss of hunting privilege goes for all other states that have a reciprocal agreement, as I understand it most states in the country)
    For all the hassle if caught, I would just as soon comply with the rule. You can still use a shotgun or muzzleloader and not give much up in capability.

Boolit Master

Go with the trimmed case length and loaded to normal 45-70 length.

May have to protect the lube from pocket lint, but it should work with all but the shortest boolits.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    we just moved out of Indiana last year. Before this 1.1-1.8 case length 35caliber and up Indiana was restricted to shotgun slugs muzzle loaders or centerfire pistols . This law opened up a lot of different rifles and cartridges for hunters the northern 2/3 of Indiana is flatter than a pancake with very few real woodlots mostly corn fields and beans with some treed fence rows . open expanses in semi populated areas with frozen ground not really a good combination for jim bob deer hunter that has the same box of ammo he bought with the rifle 4 years ago. I live in Missouri now any centerfire that holds less than 11 rounds is good here

Boolit Bub
    Wow...note to self not to hunt in Indiana....

I'm thinking about gee golly why can't I breech seat a paper patched 280 grain hollow point in a 9.3x74R with the primed brass cut back to 1 3/4"?
    Er uh, but what kind of consumable material would I use for the powder bags?
    You know, tinkering with this stuff is almost enough fun to make you want idiot legislators.